The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2011, 01:54 PM   #1
aarhunt

LC 308 brass question

I have some 308 brass in Lake city that i have had decapped sized and trimmed but i cant get any primers in them.I was wondering if there was a chance that primer hole is off and needs to be cut to size so that the primer will fit???
Old March 20, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Howard31

LC Brass

The LC brass has crimped primers. You need to ream or swage the primer pocket hole. A little more work but worth the effort.
Old March 20, 2011, 03:44 PM   #3
zfk55

Unless they're headstamped LC/LR. Those are the once fired cases issued for Marine Corps use. They weren't crimped.

Latigo

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old March 20, 2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

LC/LR is like LC Match cases used in M852. No crimp.

Aarhunt,

As mentioned, for standard military ammo the primers are crimped. In Lake City ammo, the crimp is an impressed ring around the perimeter of the primer pocket. The metal flows over top of the edge of the primer pocket. This prevents primers backing, which was mainly an issue in some kinds of machineguns.

You can remove the crimp several ways. The fastest and easiest is the most expensive, and that is the Dillon Super Swage 600 tool. It's a separate high leverage press that forces a ram into the primer pocket that pushes the crimp aside and puts the radius back into the primer pocket edges. Slower and less expensive, but also using the swaging principle, is the RCBS primer pocket swaging tool that mounts on a loading press.

The other method is to cut the crimp out. The least expensive method (if you have the drill already) is to use a common countersink cutter on a variable speed electric drill. You just have to have an eye for when to stop. If you don't quite trust yourself with that, the least expensive stand-alone is the hand powered Lyman primer pocket reamer.

In addition to the above, there is a primer pocket profile cutter that goes with the Wilson case trimmer as an option.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 20, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old March 20, 2011, 06:38 PM   #5
HiBC

Agreed,the dillon is the best tool.The RCBS works but in time the spindle threads go.
Here is an idea to try.I was buying a VLD type case neck chamfering tool,the hand tool.The included angle is about equivalent to what a pencil sharpener puts on a pencil.I think its a Lyman.The gentleman selling it suggested it is good for removing crimps.Might work well.
Old March 20, 2011, 07:19 PM   #6
hk33ka1

I have the RCBS swage die set, a Lyman reamer and a Chamfer tool like everyone has.

I prefer now to Ream or use a chamfer tool. I usually just put the reamer in a drill press and touch each case to it. Your standard RCBS chamfer tool for case mouths will work too, by hand or in a drill.

I believe the HXP crimp is known as "Staking" I see this on foreign brands more so.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:39 PM   #7
aarhunt

Thanks guys!! i wasnt quit sure.I`ve heard of swagging or reaming the primer pocket.i think thats what i`ll end up doing.