The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2000, 08:20 AM   #1
Airborne

I rently purchased a used SDB from a Dillon dealer set up for .45ACP to save time reloading. Price was right, so I figured what the heck, I'll try it out.

The first thing I noticed when setting it up was the mangled ejector spring. Problem area #1.I straightened it out and kept going. Next came the priming problems...upside down, or mashed in sideways. Then came the problem with cartridge OAL. .030" variation when working with all four stations. This has to be worn out bushings on the corners of the ram.

I resolved to return the press to the dealer, but knowing I wouldn't be in his neck of the woods for 2 weeks, I called Dillon. I spoke with a fellow named Peter who couldn't have been more helpful. He sent me a handful of new parts, no charge, to fix the problematic press.

I installed a new ejector spring, and a new plastic tip to the end of the primer feed tube. I took the primer system all apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and reassembled.

I can honestly say that I improved things 0%. Not wanting to put anymore of my time into the press, I broke it down, put it back in it's box with the remainder of the new parts, and returned it, no questions asked, to the dealer. What have I learned from my Dillon experience? Several things actually.

1) I will never buy a SDB press again. Perhaps this press had loaded a million rounds, and just needed to be rebuilt. Maybe. I'm convinced that the auto indexing feature is not only unnecessary, but an area that causes major priming problems as the press gets "worn".

2) While the press is decent as far as quality goes, the design leaves a lot to be desired.

3) Having a press that takes it's own "bastard" dies is not the way to go. I didn't think I would mind, but I now do.

4) Dillon customer service is first rate.
(This is a very important point I might add)

5)Next time I'll smarten up and get an RL550B. Mother's always right you know.

Funny thing about this whole episode, (I certainly don't regret it) is that I was warned not to mess around with one of these presses by my reloading buddies. They were right as usual, but now I know first hand.

Anyone know where I might find a good deal on a NEW RL 550B? (BULL-X doesn't offer the 20% off deal anymore, as Dillon didn't like them underselling...which is understandable)

Hope you got something out of my sharing this experience. I still have respect for Dillon Precision and it's products, although it would seem I am bashing them a bit. No harm intended...only truth be told.
Best regards,
SM

------------------
"Keep your head down and your powder dry"
Old April 2, 2000, 09:03 AM   #2
Joefo

Should have sent the whole shooting match back to Dillon and they would have sent it back in 100% working order. They have a no BS guarantee that means just that. It is for all there products, new or old.

Joefo
Old April 2, 2000, 11:13 AM   #3
John Lawson

I have two 550's. I bought them for the catalog price and added accessories. I do not regret the price paid, since I have long since gotten my money's worth, and more.
Old April 2, 2000, 11:23 AM   #4
Svt

I have the 550B which is worth its weight in gold. I load mainly .45 ACP on it but do occasionally load .38 special/.357 mag, and 9mm. It's a pain to change the dies out unless you get a seperate tool head and powder drop. However, I've loaded thousands and thousands of rounds through it without a hitch. As for price, I paid book value on it from my local dealer. He stated Dillon has a set price that they must sell it by. He couldn't undercut it.
Old April 2, 2000, 12:44 PM   #5
Kenneth L. Walters

If you had returned the unit to Dillon directly I'm sure that they would have made it right. They are REALLY good at customer service.
Old April 2, 2000, 02:41 PM   #6
alan

Airborne:

WQhile I have used a 550 for about 20 years, some people I know who have Square Deal Reloader like them, and have had no problems.

One gentlemen has had one for many years, completely wore his out, sent it back to Dillon, who COMPLETELY REBUILT it, no charge.

The few problems I've had with my 550 that were not operator generated, were always taken care of by Dillon, quickly and without question. The 550 is a fine machhine, notwithstanding the lack of automatic advance, and bullet and case feeders available on some other models. Personally, I like the idea of being able to use whatever dies I happen to have.
Old April 2, 2000, 04:54 PM   #7
Randall Shaw

I love mine , Had a primer problem at first called dillon and it was the operator and not the press , I have done more than 15000 rounds in the 1.5 years and its still going strong .
Old April 2, 2000, 05:02 PM   #8
sigman

Ditto on the above. I have loaded thousands of rounds with my square deal B with only a couple of minor problems over the years that Dillon helped me fix. Send it to Dillon and have them rebuild it. Make sure you tell them exactly what is not working. I think we have all been burned by used equipment at some time in our lives!
Old April 2, 2000, 08:02 PM   #9
Airborne

Good advice to send the press back to Dillon. It did cross my mind. I have no doubt that Dillon would have rebuilt this press for me F.O.C., which is outstanding by any measure. However, returning it to where it came from was just easier for me. I had second thoughts and it was an easy way out...the dealer can send it back so the next guy doesn't have the hassle I did. Other than a few extra holes in my reloading bench, I feel no regrets.

Having experience with a 550 (friends load on them) and now with a SDB, I believe I will spend the extra $$ for the 550, and I'm sure I will be happier in the long run. The SDB is a neat little press, which is why I bought it in the first place. Too bad it didn't work out.

I wouldn't mind eyeballing a new RCBS 2000 before I take the plunge just to be sure. Regardless of the presses, it's impossible to beat Dillon's service I'm coming to understand. Anybody load with one of the new 2000's yet? Thanks for all the good advice!
Regards,
SM