The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2017, 03:36 PM   #1
BumbleBug

Lenghthen the chamber on a Rem 1100 shotgun

I've been reading about some shooters firing 3" shells in their 2-3/4" chambers. There is a thread here in TFL. I'm way too much of a stickler to ever even think about trying that! I understand that a fired shell actually determines the chamber length so the extra 1/4" of the 3" shell unfolds into the throat which effects the pressure as the shot & wad has to slip by the extra obstruction.

My question is, could a gunsmith re-chamber my Rem 1100 12ga 2-3/4" barrel to shoot 3" shells without any ill effects? I realize that there is some fine 2-3/4" ammo available & perhaps there would not be too much of a gainer, but I'm still curious.

TIA
Old November 19, 2017, 10:35 PM   #2
Scorch

A gunsmith could re-cut the chamber. But the 2-3/4" Rem 1100 action won't cycle with the longer shells. The ejection port is not long enough for an unfolded shell to clear and eject, and the lifter won't feed a longer shell to the chamber. If you want a 3" gun, but a 3" gun.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:46 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Scorch is spot on with this advice.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:54 AM   #4
FITASC

Not only what Scorch said, but the added recoil will beat the buffer and receiver to death in short order.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 21, 2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Mobuck

I'm not sure about the 1100 but some 3" semi-auto barrels had different size/number of gas ports. Simply lengthening the chamber isn't a good idea.
Old November 21, 2017, 10:28 AM   #6
BumbleBug

Many years ago, I purchased 2 Rem 1100 shotguns in .410 gauge. They were very hard to find & the gun shop only had 2 available. The problem was that one was chambered 2-1/2" & the other was 3". I bought both & had the gunsmith re-chamber the 2-1/2" to a 3". If I remember correctly, he had to either enlarge the gas port or add a second one. I was just wondering if the 12ga could be changed similarly.

Thanks for all the good responses.
Old November 21, 2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Goatwhiskers

I had a potential customer wanting me to repair his 1100 2& 3/4 with broken parts inside. Seems he was shooting 3"mags in the gun because they would chamber. Couldn't make the idiot understand that the short chambered barrel has 2 gas ports to direct the correct volume and pressure of gas against the piston. With the magnum loads he was hitting the piston a lot harder, consequently breaking parts. There is only one gas port in the magnum chambered barrel to regulate the gas. Not saying anything about the longer shell actually opening into the bore, causing a restriction which may well slightly increase the burn rate of the powder, consequently the pressure. Very little research available on this topic. Short version is: I told him I wouldn't touch the gun for any amount of money because he was stupid and would do it again, maybe with a mud plug in the muzzle. GW