The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2011, 04:30 PM   #26
davebell18

Steve, my crimp is at .423. Is that over crimping?
Old March 23, 2011, 04:45 PM   #27
steve4102

Nope, I crimp to .421.
Old March 23, 2011, 04:55 PM   #28
davebell18

Steve, do you use plated bullets? And with everyone talking about 135gr is to light and about people not liking plated bullets but get full jacketed instead? Whats your opinion and anyone elses that would like to chime in. Every ones opinion is helping me out a lot. Thanks

Last edited by davebell18; March 23, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old March 23, 2011, 05:33 PM   #29
Sevens

Plated bullets work great in .40 S&W, provided you use them within the manufacturer's guidelines. At my bench, that means Berry's 180 grain plated slugs in .40 S&W, running around 1,000 FPS and well under their suggested cutoff of 1,200 FPS.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:27 PM   #30
scsov509

Quote:
And with everyone talking about 135gr is to light and about people not liking plated bullets but get full jacketed instead?
I use LOTS of plated bullets for indoor range work since I can't shoot lead. I've never felt the need to cough up the extra bucks for full jacketed bullets that are going to be shot less than 1200 FPS anyway, and I can't say I've ever been displeased with how plated bullets function. I've had to tinker a bit to get the rounds just right when using plated bullets, but I've never yet had to abandon them because I couldn't make them work.

As far as Power Pistol and the 135 combo goes, I don't think there's anything wrong with that combo. You might ultimately find that 155, 165, or 180 with a different powder is BETTER; but there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to get respectable groups with what you have now. Like someone said earlier in this thread, you're talking 30 feet and not 800 yards. IMO, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get exceptional accuracy from ANY weight bullet when you're talking 10 yards. I'd say you just need to keep tinkering and figuring out how to make quality reloads from what you have before you start switching to different components.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:34 PM   #31
RyanJ

Not sure if this is going to help you, but try a different combination. I shoot a few thousand rounds of .40 every year and here's what i use. Speer 180 TMJ, Winchester 231 at 4.0 grains, Win or CCI primers. Total length of 1.120" and a slight crimp. I can shoot free hand a 2" group at 25 feet out of an XD Subcompact. IF you shoot this in anything but a sub, you may want to up the powder charge. 4 grains is the low point, 5 grains is the high with 231. Shooting that light of a bullet, unless in a target gun, with low powder is going to be tough. The recoil on the above mix is minimal.

Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:37 PM   #32
RyanJ

Also, I had a ton of problems with RP brass. A few buddies collect brass for me at the ranges and RP just would not crimp correctly. Sounds stupid, but any other brass I used with no adjustments worked fine.

Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:39 PM   #33
scsov509

Quote:
Also, I had a ton of problems with RP brass. A few buddies collect brass for me at the ranges and RP just would not crimp correctly. Sounds stupid, but any other brass I used with no adjustments worked fine.
I've experienced some problems with RP brass as well, and know other's who've found it to be a total nightmare. It's not guaranteed to be your problem, but it is something to consider.