The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2000, 07:14 PM   #1
mattfra

This is an update for those of you who helped me decide what press to buy. As a "newbie" I went into this new hobby of reloading knowing nothing! I did go with the Lee 35th Anniversary Kit (single stage press) and then purchased the Lee "Speed Die" for .45 ACP. Today I loaded up 5 rounds (just for test sake) with Bull-X LSWC bullets and 6.7 grains Hodgdon Universal Clays powder. I went back into the woods and set up a target (heart was pounding quickly by this time). I loaded up the Ruger P90 and...bang, bang, bang, bang, and bang!! Five rounds, no feeding or ignition problems. Ok, NOW I AM HOOKED! I think I'll try 6.9 grains next! Yee-Haw!
Old February 12, 2000, 08:01 PM   #2
HankL

mattfra, what grain bullet is that Bull-X? I've never used Clays powder but the Hodgdon book #26 list 4.9 grains as MAX for a 185 gr. JHP

Just curious,
Hank
Old February 12, 2000, 09:30 PM   #3
MrGreenMachine

So what did your whole setup end up costing? I seem to remember you wanted to stay on the inexpensive side.
Old February 12, 2000, 09:56 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Hank, I think you may be thinking of plain Clays, not Universal Clays. U. Clays is several slots down the burn rate chart from Clays. 6.9 grains sounds like a reasonable charge for UC.

I have often thought Hodgdon should not have made 3 distinctly different powders sound so similar - Clays, International Clays and Universal Clays.
Old February 12, 2000, 10:08 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Go, Mattfra!
Old February 13, 2000, 02:14 AM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Mattfra, welcome to your new addiction.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old February 13, 2000, 09:05 AM   #7
mattfra

HankL and others that replied,

Yeah, I forgot to mention what size bullet. It was 185 gr LSWC from Bull-X. The little Hodgdon Booklet that comes with the kit listed using a JSWC with 7.2 Universal Clays, so being a beginner and wanting to keep both eyes and 9 fingers, ah, I mean 10 fingers I backed it off a bit to 6.7gr.
I paid $67.99 for the Lee 35th Anniv. Kit and $13.99 for the .45ACP speed die from MidwayUSA...no shipping/tax. So about $82 for the kit/die and 100bullets, primers, and 1lb of powder $41.50. A grand total of $124!! The kit comes with a priming hand tool, scale, sizing lube...etc. I just had to buy primers, bullets and powder. Their site is www.midwayusa.com I get their catalog every month. The kit is on sale for February through Feb 29. Thanks again to all for the encouragement and advice on reloading!!

[This message has been edited by mattfra (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old February 14, 2000, 03:41 PM   #8
jtduncan

Universal is a real clean burning powder and I use it with my 230 grains at 5.7 grains per case. Medium speed powder. Little if any muzzle flash. I like it!

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
Old February 14, 2000, 11:05 PM   #9
bfoster

I agree with Mal H regarding Hodgdon's naming of three distinct powders using the word "Clays" in each. I think that this may eventually contribute to an accident through simple failure of communication.

I strongly recommend listing the ADI numbers along with Hodgdon's names:

Clays= AS30N

International Clays= AS50N

Universal Clays= AS70N and/or AP70N

Bob