The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 1999, 02:29 AM   #1
Big Dave

Hi Guys,

I'd like to have a great 20 gauge shotgun for both home defense and clay pigeons.

Could you suggest a specific model.

Also, corrosion resistance would be a plus due to the salt air where I live.

Thanks,

Dave
Old October 15, 1999, 06:37 PM   #2
K80Geoff

Dave... The Remington 1100 20 ga is your best bet. Plenty of different barrels available to customize the gun for whatever you want it for.

The Beretta AL390 comes in 20 ga but I don't think they have a short slug barrel for it.Most of the other 20 ga guns have a limited number of types of barrels.

As far as corrosion resistance, don't know of any 20 ga guns that are stainless save for the ruger O/U which is probably not agile enough for home defense.

My $.02 of course.

Geoff Ross

------------------
Damn!...I need more practice!
Pi$$ off the left, register to vote.
Old October 15, 1999, 08:54 PM   #3
dZ

M500 #54188 20 ga BANTAM COMBO pump action, Blued finish, Walnut finished stock, 22"VR Accu-choke barrel w/3 choke tubes, and Ported 24" fully rifled Slugster
barrel w/ rifle sights.
$398.00
http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/model500_1.htm
Old October 16, 1999, 01:35 AM   #4
Big Dave

Thanks Guys,

I'll take a look at both.

My wife is anti guns. So, my thinking is that I can claim it's for sport purposes (and have some fun with it). But, the main reason for buying it will be for home protection.

Is there one sized barrel that is a good compromise for both tasks?

Thanks again,

Dave
Old October 16, 1999, 07:46 AM   #5
STEVE M

Big Dave,
I'm no shotgun expert, but I would go for around 22-24". Much shorter and you will have problems with the clay birds, any longer gets in the way for most size houses. Just my .02c

------------------
keep your options open &
never miss!
Old October 19, 1999, 03:30 PM   #6
Skorzeny

For my wife and me, the Remington 870 Express in 20 gauge works (barrel cut to 18 1/2" and the stock cut to 13" length-of-pull).

Another good choice may be Rem 870 Youth or Winchester 1300 Defender in 20 guage (used to be called the Lady Defender).

I think somebody already mentioned the Mossberg 500/590 in 20 guage.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Old November 19, 1999, 04:28 PM   #7
BULaw

I have a Beretta 20 gauge "youth" model Semiauto that might be a good choice for you. It is very well made and functions well. I have used it for trap and it performed beautifully. Since it is a youth model it is shorter than a normal field gun and that makes it very handy for HD. Follow up shots are very fast since it is a semiauto. I am certainly not a "youth" anymore but my girlfriend and future wife can handle it much better than my Remington 870 because it is better suited for her small frame. Take a look at it, you may like it.

------------------
God Bless America