The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 17, 2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Ransome

Cant find "truly" subsonic .22 lr

Ive recently been trying to find a subsonic .22lr load. I purchased 5 different types of subsonic ammo, yet only one was subsonic. I purchased Winchester m-22 subsonic, CCI subsonic, Remington Subsonic, Federal American eagle subsonic, and CCI quiet-22. Out of all of these the only one that was indeed subsonic was CCI quiet. But sadly it will not complete the action in my semi-automatic. I understand that barrel length, as well as temperature and altitude play into affect. But seriously even the federal American eagle rated at 970 fps broke the sound barrier. Is there any other ammo you guys would recommend?
Old October 17, 2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Sharkbite

How did you measure velocity (you didnt say) and what gun are you shooting?...what suppressor?
Old October 17, 2018, 07:59 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

Acc to Wiki, Steamboat Springs is 6732 feet above sea level. The speed of sound is a bit less there than at sea level.

Here is a handy calculator: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/sound.html

Remember to convert FPS to MPH.

its likely that your ammo is running a bit faster than the published speeds which can easily be verified with a chrono
Old October 17, 2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Mike38

You can't find ammo less than 1115fps? Interesting. Have you tried Agulia Sub Sonic? Supposed to be 1025fps out of a 18 inch barrel. How about Pistol Match at 950fps?

BTW, I think Federal American Eagle is high velocity. It's listed at 1240fps.
Old October 17, 2018, 08:50 PM   #5
ogree

https://www.brownells.com/ammunition...rod105294.aspx
Old October 17, 2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Have you tried Super Colibris?
Old October 18, 2018, 05:57 AM   #7
cecILL

CBs would be subsonic.
Old October 18, 2018, 06:15 AM   #8
mehavey

Aquila Super Extra/Standard Vel runs 1089fps out of a 10/22 (LABRADAR)
Unfortunately . . . . Speed of sound at 6,500' is pretty much exactly that.

Aquila's Subsonic, however runs 1025 and should be fine

Last edited by mehavey; October 18, 2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old October 18, 2018, 10:10 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

I run the Remington Subsonic .22 LR through my Buckmark when the suppressor is attached, because it's the only hollow point load available locally. (I honestly don't know what all other options are out there, since I don't really care. That's something that I want to buy locally, and I only want HPs.) I've tried the CCI subs and, I believe, Aguila; but only for function and sound testing.

I chronographed some of the Remington, but don't recall what the numbers were. Based on sound:
In warm weather, they're always subsonic (from 4,400 ft asl to over 9,000 ft).
On cold days, especially at lower altitudes, they're right on the edge. Some are subsonic, some have a little crack to them.

When the pistol is clean, I get a failure to eject or failure to feed about 1 in 20 rounds - both caused by short-stroking.
As the pistol gets dirty (which happens a lot faster with the suppressor), the failure rate increases to the point that it's malfunctioning 90% of the time with about 80 rounds through it.

It's just the nature of the beast.
There is no one-size-fits-all load that can be guaranteed to function 100% in various pistols and rifles with various barrel lengths; nor can it be guaranteed to be subsonic at all altitudes and temperatures, from various barrel lengths and action types, while still cycling those various action types.

Find what mostly works, and run with it.

*I live at 4,600 ft, do most of my shooting between 4,800 ft and 5,500 ft, and do most camping (with shooting) and hunting between 6,600 ft and 9,500 ft.
Old October 18, 2018, 11:08 AM   #10
jag2

I think this goes back to the old joke, pick one. Asking a sub sonic round to cycle a semi auto is a bit much. If low noise is your goal use sub sonic shorts, my personal choice is CCI. I shoot them in an old Win pump. I have a few times used them thru a Win 63, just have to cycle them by hand. Seems like you have run a pretty good test, you just have to accept that the results weren't what you hoped for.
Old October 18, 2018, 11:20 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I think this goes back to the old joke, pick one. Asking a sub sonic round to cycle a semi auto is a bit much. If low noise is your goal use sub sonic shorts, my personal choice is CCI. I shoot them in an old Win pump. I have a few times used them thru a Win 63, just have to cycle them by hand. Seems like you have run a pretty good test, you just have to accept that the results weren't what you hoped for.
Aye.
One of my family's favorite combinations is an old Springfield (Stevens) Model 56 bolt action, stoked with .22 CB shorts. The only real 'noise' when fired, is the sound of the striker hitting the primer, and the sound of the bullet impacting the target ("click ... snap"). They're still plenty deadly on small game, but velocity is so low that one can see the bullets in flight. It's like firing silent tracers.
They're also fun in my Rossi 62SAC (Winchester 62A clone), but the Springfield is incredibly accurate and a bit quieter.
Old October 19, 2018, 10:52 AM   #12
Sharkbite

I shoot the Gemtech subsonics out of both my 10-22 and my RAR as well as a cpl handguns. All are subsonic at almost 6000’ ASL.

With either my Warlock II or my Spectre all you hear is action noise out of the semi’s. The bolt guns are silly quiet