The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 30, 2016, 06:25 PM   #1
HankC1

Hungarian AMD 65 AK price stay low?

Any reason Hungarian AMD 65 AK price stays relatively low compare to other AKs? Even IO sells $100 over Hungarian AMD 65! I know AMD parts are not compatible to other AKs but many AKs in the market are not AKM exchangeable anymore.
Old October 1, 2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Model12Win

They aren't real AMD-65s.

The barrel is too long, hence, nobody buys them.
Old October 2, 2016, 05:50 AM   #3
peggysue

I got mine in 2008. My FEG receiver is MADE IN HUNGARY. The 5" muzzle break is welded on a chrome lined original barrel 11+" so it is a lawful 16". Even came with Tapco trigger. I paid $550 for mine back then from a retail store. All in all a nice little AK for the money. the folding stock is so so however they make after market stuff for it. http://www.amd65tech.com/
They are as real as a AMD-65 semi-auto can be got in the USA.
Good Utube review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv6SQ4vWA5M

BY all means everyone should have one in their collection. Kind of cute as these were deigned for a armored or para troupers. Probably make a bang up truck gun. Sadly parts kits with barrel are dried up and cost as much as completed one.
Old October 2, 2016, 08:11 PM   #4
HankC1

What AMD haters have to say about this gun? Anything physically wrong that people don't want it? I did not buy one many years ago when AKMs were cheap and I did not want an AMD while it is not compatible with AKMs and replacement parts may be a concern, now most AKs are not that much compatible anymore and AKs are way over price! Maybe it is time to think about AMD, it is different from any other AKs. I actually sold all my AKs years ago and only keep my RPKs and VZ.
Old October 3, 2016, 07:05 AM   #5
peggysue

What is so not compatible with then other Soviet block AK's?
It is the same as my Norincos, WASRs, and Yugo. They take the same trigger group, cover, and springs. Not much else to replace. Again my total barrel length is 16". How is 16" too long? I have a Micro AK with a 6" barrel and a Draco 12" but they are classified as a pistol.
Keep in mind once they are gone the parts kits (no barrel $319) are no longer imported. USA made AKs cost more. Only $500 at Classic for a complete AMD https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-...t_tabs_reviews

Last edited by peggysue; October 3, 2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:31 AM   #6
Fishbed77

The stigma of the 16" US-made barrel is what is keeping the demand down on these current AMD-65s and AMD-63s.

The price just came back down to $499 so I just rolled the dice and ordered an AMD-63 (fixed stock version from Classic Firearms).

I'm covered as far as quality hard-use defensive rifles go (with properly converted 7.62x39 Saigas and BCM ARs among others), and besides, every review I've seen online of these current AMD-63s (including MAC's) has been quite positive. Besides, I'm just buying this as a fun gun or truck gun.

Even if the barrel isn't the greatest, the receiver, trunnions, and other critical parts are still high-quality FEG parts (no cast trunnions and the like), and I doubt I'll ever shoot 20,000 rounds or whatever it takes to wear the barrel out. If I do, then I've probably gotten my money's worth out of it, and I'll just replace the barrel with a better one. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but honestly, I don't expect any drama.

I have a feeling these rifles will be much like the lamented $399 WASRs, $399 VZ2008s, $249 Saigas, $180 Mak-90s, and $99 SKSs. The $699 VEPRs can be grouped in here too, because I have a strong feeling they are about to be a thing of the past as well.

Right now, an AK in hand is definitely worth two in the bush (obviously excluding cast RAS-47s and IO trash).
Old October 3, 2016, 06:08 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
I did not buy one many years ago when AKMs were cheap and I did not want an AMD while it is not compatible with AKMs and replacement parts may be a concern, now most AKs are not that much compatible anymore and AKs are way over price!
Most AKM-pattern parts are compatible with the AMD-65s and AMD-63s.

The only significant differences are the rear trunnion (though the AMD-63/AKM-63 trunnion is the same as an AKM), gas tube (which is shorter on the AMDs, but a standard AKM gas tube can be modified to fit), and the front handguard retainer (though again, a standard AKM handguard will fit with very minor modifications).
Old September 17, 2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Matyoka

I know this is an older post, but the AMD is my go to weapon including outdoors shooting. Wish I bought 10 of these back when TGI and Bud's sold them NIB for $489. Today's auction prices reach $800... Lowest recoil and most accurate out of my 32 AKs that include 17 pre-bans from Egypt, China and Hungary.

Love these guys...

KEL-TEC SU22 Semi Auto .22 rifle/threaded barrel