The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 17, 2014, 10:10 AM   #1
spitpatch

Good shooting weekend.

Sat the 15th shot in my first rifle match since having a quadruple bypass this past fall. Surprised myself got 8th out of 29 shooters. Starting out I did not know if I would make it the whole match. All targets were at 25 yds with 5 shots in 30 min. Perfect for an old guy making a comeback. This next Sunday we have our 1st BPCR match. I will be shooting in it but not sure how these 75 yr old eyes will do. Targets are 200 mtrs out to 500 mtrs. I think it's us older guys that burn most of the black powder.
Old February 17, 2014, 06:43 PM   #2
jspappap

Good to hear you are recovering fine and having fun with the BP at the same time. I agree we're mostly old timers I just got in to it at 70 and am loving it
Old February 17, 2014, 09:08 PM   #3
kwhi43

71 here. Been in it for over 50 yrs. and still loving it.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Your a lucky man there Spitpatch. Quadruple bypass is a stretch for anyone to overcome. You did and that's what counts. Don't worry about those old foggy eyes. So long as you can take a Shooting Lane and show those fellows there's no vacancy quite yet is good. But I don't believe those fellow shooters will cut you any slack. You know how those Black Powder burners are.
Old February 17, 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Good for you spit patch! And welcome to the "zipper club". I know from first hand knowledge that what you went through wasn't easy but it sounds like you came out on the far side just fine and are well on the mend! After going through that and coming out well, there isn't anything you can't undertake and accomplish! We're all a bunch of old farts so just keep at it and "strut your stuff" and show 'em how to shoot!

If there is one thing that surgery teaches a person . . it's the appreciation of the little things in life and that you need to allow yourself to heal physically, mentally and spiritually. It teaches you to do the things you love and not put 'em off. All of that just makes the smell of burnt black powder more precious so "you go guy" and continue to keep burning as much of it as you can! Best of luck to you and don't et anything slow you down!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63