The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
walleye

.22 Hornet brass

Anyone got any experience as to whether brass or nickel is a better choice for the Hornet? I know the brass is very thin. Thanks!
Old February 15, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I prefer Remington cases with no canalure groove... & I guess I prefer brass, both because it's cheaper ( & they wreck pretty easy ) & I don't like tumbling my nickel cases, as it thins the nickel too fast... that said, I haven't loaded enough nickel Hornet cases to have any expirience... my nickel expirience is with other cartridges, but I do load alot of Hornet cases... from 17 K Hornet, regular 22 Hornet, & for both rifle & revolver "fast twist" Hornet with bullets as heavy as 68 grains...
Old February 15, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
dahermit

In the instance of the .22 Hornet, the brass cases sans Nickle are already somewhat problematic due to the thinness of the necks. It is a tricky round to hand load for. But, when you find the right load, your efforts can be rewarded.
If Nickle cases were all I had access to, I would use them. However, if I were ordering .22 Hornet brass, I would not get the Nickeled cases.
Old February 16, 2011, 08:52 PM   #4
walleye

I appreciate your responses. I prefer brass in most cases, but never tried nickel with the Hornet. Thanks.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I've only used brass in the Hornet. One thing I found out is that a good chamfer on the case mouth and careful slow seating the bullet means fewer crushed cases.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:29 AM   #6
hornetguy

Brass is all I've ever used. I didn't like the idea of fireforming nickle cases to the K-Hornet.
I use mostly WW brass... I've lost more to splits when fireforming the few Remington cases I've tried. Could be an anomaly, but I do have good luck with the WW, so I stay with them.