The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 1999, 12:00 PM   #1
cornered rat

Does anyone sell plastic or resin (plain, coated or jacketed) bullets for reloading. I'd like to load up lightly recoiling loads for my mother to practice with (.38spl) and also to try and play around with very low penetration designs. No useful purpose, but I am curious as to where to get bullets and load data.
Old July 20, 1999, 02:15 PM   #2
Nestor Rivera

I have some plastic cases & bullets made by hornady (I think) uses a Large Rifle Primer and works just great near 0 recoil but does bark so some hearing protection is recommended, and all you need to do is pick up the bullet and place by hand in case and re-prime by hand no tools needed.

I guess if you got some you could make some 'no-leathal' loads but I dont know how the bullet (full wadcutter) would handel it.
Old July 20, 1999, 03:43 PM   #3
cornered rat

Can you recommend a source of these items?
Old July 20, 1999, 04:51 PM   #4
rangerco

I think anyone who sells Speer products still has their version of this sort of thing. .38 & .44 had a plastic case. .45 ACP had to use brass and they suggested enlarging the flash hole which made it UNSAFE TO reload with real bullets/powder... Or contact the factory. Reuseable. Alledgedly, Hollywood used to use parafin bullets in the movie shots (sound was dubbed) but I know of no source... Mr. Corbin speaks of using wax in the jacket to form jackets without lead cores for research or whatever. Probably a little expensive to order custom bullets like this. Article in Guns Mag years ago had a guy using wooden dowel pieces as bullets (FOR VAMPIRES OF COURSE!!!) Tremendous velocity and lots of slivers... good luck.
Old July 25, 1999, 08:44 AM   #5
Patrick Graham

I bought some plastic 45acp bullets from midway once. I assume they would have plastic 38 bullets also. They were made by speer. www.midwayusa.com
Old July 29, 1999, 01:38 PM   #6
Nestor Rivera

sorry wrong info, it was speer...

I was given them by a friend.

Are available from Graf & Sons www.grafs.com

Part # SP8510 Target 38 Bullets $ 4.45
Part # SP8515 Tartet 38 Cases $ 4.45