The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2000, 02:30 PM   #1
Matt VDW

I'd like to get a spare powder measure to use on my Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press. The measure that comes with it works well and it's case-activated, but getting another one from Hornady would set me back about $100.

So now I'm looking at the Lee powder measures, about which I've heard some positive comments in the past. I have some questions about them:

1) Will the Auto-Disk measures work on presses other than Lee's?

2) Will they work reliably by case activation or do they need the "linkage" to the ram?

3) Do I have to use Lee's powder-through expander dies or can I use any brand?

4) Which is better: the Deluxe Auto-Disk or the Pro Auto-Disk?

I intend to load charges of 3.5-6.5 grains of ball or flake powders and I won't be changing the charge often, so the disk system shouldn't be a problem.
Old June 16, 2000, 02:41 PM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Matt,

Used a Lee Powder measurer for almost a year. The only positive comment I can make about them is they work. They do not dispense very evenly and they hate fine ball powder. It jams the entire mechanism. Spend the extra $50 and get a better dispenser.

Robert
Old June 16, 2000, 02:50 PM   #3
WINTERVILLE WILL

Matt; By all means get the the Lee measure.They will work on anybodys'press.They are spring loaded and work off of the case mouth.You will,however, have to use the Lee dies, but I think you will be more than pleased with them. The Pro setup is the better way to go as the hopper has a "wiper" on the bottom that catches any stray flakes of powder and prevents "cutting". It also has a cutoff feature so you can remove just the hopper without removing the whole thing.And they're a WHOLE lot cheaper than other brands.
Old June 16, 2000, 04:43 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

I own a Hornady measure for single-staging; shop around for a better price.

Best (non-Redding) measure available (and I own 15 yes fifteen Dillon measures).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old June 17, 2000, 11:11 PM   #5
LOCHFAL

I've just gotta say. The only thing LEE makes that I can't stand using is the auto disk powder measure. All the other products they have are very well built and function great for the little amount of money I spent on them. Those little satanic powder measures bind up with all the powders I use. Lately I have had to hit the darn thing on the top every time to reset it and I had to stop loading this evening and will be tearing it apart tomorrow to see if I can unbind it again. I think I'm going to switch to some other system altogether. If you get one good luck and enjoy all the new four letter words you'll have to learn.
Old June 17, 2000, 11:39 PM   #6
WalterGAII

I use the Lee adjustable charge bar on my crappy Loadmaster's powder measure. I use ball powders exclusively, mostly AA#5. Never have "bridging" or binding. Throws loads to .1gr. every time.
Old June 18, 2000, 04:58 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hey Matt, you probably know that I LOVE my Lee measure. I loaded 250 rounds with it on Saturday, and couldn't be more pleased.

I find it to be EXTREMELY repeatable with Winchester 231 and 296.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old June 18, 2000, 07:58 PM   #8
Sisco

I second the motion for the charge bar. Very accruate and dependable
Old June 18, 2000, 10:33 PM   #9
Matt VDW

Mike,

Which version of the Lee powder measure do you have?

Sorting through the advice here would be easier if it were more specific. When Person A says "Lee measures are useless" and Person B says "Lee measures are great", they could both be right if A is talking about the Auto-Disk and B is talking about the Pro Auto-Disk.
Old June 19, 2000, 12:54 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Matt,

Pro Auto Disk, the one with the circular hopper that can be shut off.

I love the damned thing.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old June 19, 2000, 11:51 AM   #11
Reg

Another vote in favor of the Lee powder measures. The Pro Auto disk with an adjustable charge bar is what I use and it is always within .1 gr.
One thing I did to improve its performance with larger flake powders (ie: settle down to consistent charges quicker) is to put a little homemade baffle into the hopper and try to keep the hopper filled above half.
Someone said that the Lee powder measures don't work well with fine ball powders. I find the case to be the exact opposite. My Pro Auto disk dispenses fine ball powders with EXTREMELY consistent and accurate charges.
They will work on other presses via case activation, but will require the powder thru expander die from Lee.
I definately recommend getting an adjustable charge bar... very repeatable and accurate and no disk changing. (and only about $6)
Also recommend the Pro version over the Deluxe version due to the little rubber wiper and the shut-off valve.
Old June 20, 2000, 09:27 AM   #12
MADISON

I bought a HORNADY PROJECTOR in 1989. I soon found out that some way to make sure that each case has powder in it is needed.

I bought the Lee Disk powder measure and powder die and probably load 15,000 rounds a year through it a year.