The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Would You Sell A 1974 Series 70 Colt To Buy A New Colt LW Commander?

At this point in my life I have no interest in increasing the number of firearms that I own, so, generally I will try to sell one If I decide to buy one (unless it is something that I will carry). Recently, I found myself really liking the O1992 Colt 9mm 1911 that I picked up a year and a half ago. I shoot it better than anything I have shot so far. The only 1911s I have are Colts and they are a 1974 Series 70 in .45 acp, a two year old Combat Commander in .45 acp and the one in 9mm.
I would really like to have a LW Commander in 9mm, so, that means I need to sell something. Quite honestly, if I didn't have 2,000 rounds of .45 acp I would just sell both of the 1911s in that caliber and get the LW Commander and be done with it. That being said, I can probably get more for the Series 70. The slide is a high gloss blue and it is just an all around good looking gun. The Combat Commander is the entry level plain Jane model....nice but not as good looking as the other.
Anyway, just curious as to what some of you would do. Not so much because I can't make a decision for myself, just more for fun. And, I know Cheapshooter wouldn't sell any of them.
Old February 23, 2017, 07:59 PM   #2
carguychris

No. Fails the difficulty of obtaining equal replacement test.
Old February 23, 2017, 08:15 PM   #3
PatientWolf

I wouldn't.
Old February 23, 2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Minorcan

No way but I might sell something else.
Old February 23, 2017, 08:54 PM   #5
SauerGrapes

Somebody will be very happy to buy your 74 Colt. If that's what it takes to get your next one, go for it. I would just make sure the LW Commander is actually what you want.
If it wasn't for the ammo you could sell the 45? {s} You know, ammo doesn't go bad. Somewhere down the road you may get another 45. Sell the guns. get your LW.
I'm in the same boat, don't want anymore guns. I sold 4 semi autos to buy 4 classic S&W revolvers.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 23, 2017, 09:26 PM   #6
UncleEd

From a practical point of view, use vs. emotion/nostalgia, sell the Series 70 and get the LW Commander in 9 mm.

The OP says he shoots his current 9 mm better than anything else he has shot and I take that to mean his .45s.

No reason to believe the 9 mm Commander also won't become a favorite.

It's time.
Old February 23, 2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I prefer the Commander size so, yes, I would sell the Series 70.
Old February 23, 2017, 10:00 PM   #8
damienph

That is a tough choice. I like my Commander, a lot, but I would not sell my Government model to replace it. If you sell one to get one, what else do you have to sell?
Old February 23, 2017, 10:10 PM   #9
Wheelgun

I wouldn't. But that is because a 1974 Colt is on my list of pistols I would love to have, as it is my birth year.

That said, My Lightweight Commander is my favorite amongst many pistols.

Wheelgun
Old February 23, 2017, 10:24 PM   #10
Joe_Pike

The trouble is most everything I have besides those guns that I carry are difficult to find....1982 Marlin 1894 .357, S&W models 65/13 with 3" barrels, .38-44 Heavy Duty from 1937, model 17-8, etc.
Old February 23, 2017, 11:14 PM   #11
Nacho Man

Not just no, but hell no
Old February 24, 2017, 06:01 AM   #12
Ibmikey

Ditto.....Nachoman.....nay, you have a nice Colt "collection" gathering there, hang onto them and "buy just one more". Of course i said that very thing before i acquired slightly over 200 rifles and pistols.

Last edited by Ibmikey; February 24, 2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:48 AM   #13
Remington74

From the sound of the responses so far it sounds like that 1974 Colt should be a desirable piece to somebody. I would price it high, very high, and let it go. If it's something you aren't going to be shooting much and prefer the 9mm and the lite weight get what you really are going to use and enjoy. Is there anybody around that may be interested in the ammo?
Old February 24, 2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

I would. The 1974 sounds like a bit of a collector piece, and I'm a thoroughly awful collector. I like to use nice stuff, and I don't much care if it's firearms, fountain pens or fedoras. I don't keep things for the sake of putting them away. But that's just me . . .
Old February 24, 2017, 10:03 AM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
No. Fails the difficulty of obtaining equal replacement test.
The Obtaining Equal Replacement (OER) test is the one I try to adhere to and the op's "replacement" fails miserably.
Old February 24, 2017, 10:17 AM   #16
pete2

Never sell a 1911 gun, never sell any COLT gun, NEVER!
Old February 24, 2017, 11:49 AM   #17
damienph

OP, I guess I just don't understand the "sell one to get one" rational. I would keep that fine older Government Model and also buy the Commander.
Old February 24, 2017, 11:56 AM   #18
Ocraknife

No, I've done something similar before and regretted it. UNLESS, you simply hated the model 70, in which case you'd be insane and probably shouldn't own guns of any type.

-Jimro
Old February 24, 2017, 12:50 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

A BNIB Series 70's MSRP is a tick under a grand. Older examples command more money on the assorted auction sites, some close to 2 grand(some are considerably less than a grand too though), for who knows why. MSRP on a BNIB Commander is also a grand.
Personally, I don't think a Commander is anywhere near the pistol a Government Model Series 70 is but I'm kind of biased having had one for 30 some years. Can't say as I'd even consider a Commander over a Government.
Including 2,000 rounds of .45 ACP would enhance the saleability and give you more money. Ammo is like money in the bank. Assuming it's not reloads, of course.
Old February 24, 2017, 01:11 PM   #20
Joe_Pike

Quote:
OP, I guess I just don't understand the "sell one to get one" rational
Well, my mom passed away at the first of this month and the only family I have here is my sister. She doesn't really care about firearms, so, if something were to happen to me she wouldn't really know what to do with them. I have got rid of some guns over the last few years and am now ready to start on the more collectible guns that I have. It's just easier to keep a small collection that I shoot at this point.
Old February 24, 2017, 01:12 PM   #21
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Pike:
...The slide is a high gloss blue and it is just an all around good looking gun....
I know exactly what you're talking about and I can tell you that would be a tough one to replace in kind, the handwork that goes into that high gloss blue is uber expensive to have done, and it's not as nice as the original from 40+ years ago. But the gun you are replacing it with might be better mechanically than the '74 vintage, which is prettier, you know, Colt is building some nice stuff these days. And if the new one will get more use than this one, then maybe it's a good move to let it go, but I'd want top buck for it!

Last edited by JDBerg; February 24, 2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old February 24, 2017, 08:50 PM   #22
damienph

Well Joe, just because your sister doesn't like guns and wouldn't know how to dispose of them after you are gone... that shouldn't have any real bearing on what you do or how you manage your firearm collection. To me, if I enjoy them, I am keeping them for that enjoyment. I have friends who could dispose of my stuff after I am gone if that was a worry for me and I didn't want to burden my heirs with that chore. But if you truly just want to downsize the number of guns that you have then do so. No need in asking if you should or should not dispose of a firearm that most of us wouldn't trade off for any reason so that you can acquire another firearm that most of us also would not trade off for any reason. If you've already made up your mind, get rid of the Government model and buy the Commander; I guess I just don't understand the point of this thread.
Old February 24, 2017, 09:09 PM   #23
Joe_Pike

The real "point" of the thread was just a fun discussion. I can make a decision one way or the other on my own, but sometimes it is just fun to hear what others think.

Anyway, the decision may have been made for me anyway. A guy that I see at work every now and then decided today to sell me a Colt .22 conversion from the '70s that is in the box for $200. I told him that they sell for a lot more than that on Gunbroker, but he said he doesn't even have a computer and didn't want to fool with it. So, I guess I'll have to keep the Series 70 for now to have something to put that conversion on.
Old February 26, 2017, 08:41 PM   #24
Joe_Pike

Well, I've heard that Colt has recently been laying people off. Now, I have no idea whether this is part of a normal business cycle because gun sales have gone soft after the election went differently than most thought it would or if it's a harbinger of things to come for the Rampant Pony, but I guess I should hang on to the Series 70 for a while anyway. If something does happen where Colt ends up going belly up I suspect that anything marked such will dry up or increase in price so much that a mere mortal such as I will never be able to touch one.