The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2016, 10:08 AM   #26
TomADC

I'm not sure you are going to find a 10 gauge slug mold, Lee makes 12 ga in 7/8 & 1 oz you could probably come up with a buffered load using one of these.
Old March 23, 2016, 10:18 AM   #27
fatbill

I've never even heard of a 10 gauge slug mold. Just get some federal 10 gauge rifled slugs, I think they're roughly the same price as shot, and it'll be the hell of a lot less expensive then paying for a new barrel. Plus they are way more effective and more accurate.
Old March 23, 2016, 11:33 AM   #28
darkgael

Dimensions

Regardless of the length of a shell, the exterior diameter is 0.7980" or about 80 caliber. The diameter of a cylinder bore barrel is (depending on the barrel) 0.729" about 73 caliber.
So....shooting a cut shell amounts to firing an 80 caliber projectile down a 73 caliber barrel.
Good idea? Nuh-uh.
Pete
Old March 23, 2016, 11:42 AM   #29
jaguarxk120

Plus the fact when the cut shell idea came out shell bodies were made of paper.

The paper section that when down the barrel is easier to swage down that a plastic piece.

And as said when that piece of plastic and shot (steel?) hit the choke barrel pressures go sky high.
Old March 23, 2016, 02:17 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

I missed it was 10 ga. You probably need one custom made for that.
12 GA $32 directly from lee, and I am sure you can get them elsewhere a little cheaper.
http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casti...let-slug-mold/

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 23, 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old March 23, 2016, 02:31 PM   #31
g.willikers

There's videos on youtube showing how to make home made slug molds out of all kinds of things - from socket tools to wood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BUDBbdA6A
Old March 24, 2016, 07:58 AM   #32
T_PRO_Z

i thought you couldn't shoot slugs out of a full choke?. im thinking of taking it to a gunsmith and having them just cut the end off that way it is cyl. bore all the way through. it has a 22" barrel so if I wanted to make it 18.5 should take the choke out right?
Old March 24, 2016, 09:30 AM   #33
g.willikers

Not all shotgun barrels are completely straight the whole length.
While barrel makers seem to make sure the muzzle and choke line up with the chamber, the rest of the barrel may not.
At least not enough for shooting slugs.
Something to consider before cutting.
Best to check the barrel straightness, first, especially for shooting slugs rather than shot.
Just a thought.
Old March 24, 2016, 11:21 AM   #34
TomADC

Instead of cutting the barrel why not use something like a brake cylinder hone and take the inside measurement from .745 full to .770/.775, bet it wouldn't take long and it would be cheap. Need a pair of calipers & snap gage the choke on those guns shouldn't go to far into the barrel, use a light oil when honing.

Last edited by TomADC; March 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old March 24, 2016, 12:42 PM   #35
g.willikers

^^^^
Shotgun barrels are kind of thin, more so where the choke threads are located.
Would even a full choked barrel be thick enough there to safely hone out?
Old March 24, 2016, 12:58 PM   #36
TomADC

Quote:
Shotgun barrels are kind of thin, more so where the choke threads are located.
Would even a full choked barrel be thick enough there to safely hone out?
I believe his is a fix choked barrel no threads to worry about, opening a .745 to .775 is .030 or .015 from each side.
Old March 24, 2016, 01:20 PM   #37
Blindstitch

There was a guy people were recommending that would add chokes to barrels for $50. Why not just do that. This gun had to have had a purpose to be built the way it is. I'm pretty sure that purpose is a goose or turkey gun. Why not just sell it and buy something with interchangeable barrels.
Old March 24, 2016, 01:43 PM   #38
TomADC

Quote:
There was a guy people were recommending that would add chokes to barrels for $50. Why not just do that. This gun had to have had a purpose to be built the way it is. I'm pretty sure that purpose is a goose or turkey gun. Why not just sell it and buy something with interchangeable barrels.
Quote:
i thought you couldn't shoot slugs out of a full choke?. I'm thinking of taking it to a gunsmith and having them just cut the end off that way it is cyl. bore all the way through. it has a 22" barrel so if I wanted to make it 18.5 should take the choke out right?
Barrel is 22" long per OP maybe turkey? plus only has $200 into it wants to do slugs maybe a hd gun?
Old March 24, 2016, 02:24 PM   #39
FITASC

Quote:
That would be Mike Orlen in MA. Comes with a lot of good press on ShotgunWorld; best to call. He's a Mod there.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 25, 2016, 12:50 AM   #40
drobs

Won't help the op but there is a fella on ebay cutting and threading 12 ga & 20 ga barrels for chokes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311401523303...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thinking I may send him my H&R single shot 12 ga barrel.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:47 AM   #41
Gunplummer

"Shotgun barrels are kind of thin". They are now. Take a good look at the thickness of an old tube compared to a new tube. I would not be surprised if repeated shooting of cut shells would stretch/expand the tube. The poster was right about the "Schmegg" left in the barrel from the plastic. It actually welds to the tube. I have an old H&R single that jams with factory buckshot. The shells are a little too long for the chamber and the end of the shell welds in the tube.
Old March 27, 2016, 03:19 AM   #42
Dreaming100Straight

Gunplummer, Is it possible that your shotgun is chambered for 2-1/2" shells?
Old March 27, 2016, 08:54 AM   #43
trapper9260

Years ago when the steel shot was in law for water fowl I had my side by side 10ga bore out from full to Imp cyl. by a gunsmith.I was able to use steel in it after with out any problems.He said I just brought the price up on the gun because alot of guns was down value because of the new law at the time for waterfowl. As for putting chokes on the gun it depends on how thick the barrel is. I had look into not long ago about have it done to my 10, but there was not enough room and the barrel was not thick enough after what was done before for how it look. I did had my 12 ga pump put chokes on it and it work out. It was my dad's gun of years ago and had done something to it and part of the barrel was off the end and was looking for another barrel to replace it but there was none that would work because of the age of the gun .and then had chocks put on it and all is good now.
Old March 31, 2016, 04:58 PM   #44
Gunplummer

No, 2 3/4 chamber. May be slightly short, who knows. Shoots 2 3/4 shot and slugs fine.