The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 14, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Niles.nemo

Miscellaneous old revolver

I have had this weapon passed down in my family for many many years and i am interested in its value.
The only reason i call it that is because that's what one of the pawn shops told me haha.
Only has two or three markings,
/GG\ and a 13
\Z/
i have attached a few photos of the revolver in hope to figure out what it is?

Any information is useful thanks!!
Sincerely, Niles.Nemo
Old July 14, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Looks like one of the old Velo Dogs.
Old July 14, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

Looks like a good gun for your opponent to have.

Deaf
Old July 14, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The cylinder is not long enough for it to be a Velo-Dog. It is almost certainly Belgian, probably .320, and would fire the old .32 Colt cartridge. DO NOT fire .32 ACP under any circumstances.

Check around the barrel for an oval with the letters ELG in it; that is the Liege proof mark and would confirm the Belgian manufacture. Value is low, under $100 and would sell only as a novelty, not as a serious firearm.

Jim
Old July 14, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Left behind at the move...

You show a "Baby Bulldog", one of many from different small makers and guilds who were not proud enough of their work to put a brand name on it.
Caliber is likely either .320 or .380; European relatives of .32 and .38 Short Colt.
Resale value is not much. You had just as well keep it and make up stories about it.

Add The Zhuk book shows 70 guns of the general type, many whose maker is not known.

These days we think a lot about "stopping power" because we know that a wounded assailant will be treated with antibiotics at taxpayer expense and he knows that, too.
When these little guns were current, any penetrating wound had a danger of infection and even a small caliber could be a deadly deterrent.
Old July 14, 2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Niles.nemo

The only markings it has are
GG and two 13's both under the barrel
z

it cant take a cartridge because the cylinder doesnt slide out it has a little flip up on the side to load one bullet at a time.
Old July 14, 2013, 11:07 PM   #7
TennJed

I hope I don't offend, but since you mentioned value and pawn shop in the same post. If it was passed down in your family for many years (as you said) I hope you are not considering selling it. If you are please try to find a close family member to sell it to. The previous owners kept it in the family for a reason
Old July 15, 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Bill Akins

James K and Jim Watson are both correct. It is a Belgium copy of a British bulldog revolver. Go to this below link and right click and open in new window any of the pics that looks like your revolver, then when that page opens to show a larger version of that pic, then click on "visit page" on the right hand side of the page. That will take you to whatever article or otherwise that was written that goes with that picture. I see quite a few that are like yours at this link. Hopefully this will help you get the info you seek.

http://www.google.com/search?q=belgi...w=1270&bih=678

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 15, 2013, 07:17 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

While it is probably Belgian, such guns were also made in Germany, France, and Spain. They were sold from about the 1870's up to WWI and were the European equivalents of the inexpensive American revolvers of the same approximate era.

The British revolvers of the same general type antedated those continental revolvers by several years, but the British guns were generally of a larger caliber and almost always had a conventional trigger guard, not a folding trigger.

Jim