The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 30, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
duelist1954

Shooting Remington New Model Army .44s with round balls and conicals

I took a pair of Remington New Model Armies out to try them with both round balls and conical bullets. The conicals shot so well I think they will become my default projectile in the Remmies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0MUpBA6JHo
Old June 30, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
indy1919

Wow, I do not shoot Conicals out of my hand guns, because I had learned on balls, liked balls, felt no reason to change... But I may have reason to change after seeing this video..

Nice Job Mike

You also sold me a Pietta's .New Army Remington , That I also have been putting off..

I am assuming the conicals were lubed... Right???? And why no patch with the Conicals.???????...
Old June 30, 2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

Hmmm. Been shooting Remmys for decades but only with round ball, may have to check it out. Last time I shot conicals was in my old '51 Navy back in the 1980s.

PS I love my Pietta Remingtons.
Old July 1, 2013, 08:26 AM   #4
maillemaker

What was the Lee mold you used for the conicals?

Steve
Old July 3, 2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Pahoo

Another great video

Mike, as usual, really enjoyed your this video and frankly, a bit surprised at how well the conicals grouped. ..

Now, this is not a test, just trying to glean from and understand your technique as I don't shoot C&B's very often.
Can you elaborate on your use of a felt wad on RB's and not the conical?
As you mentioned, you had a full charge of powder but if you hadn't, do you use corn meal?
Looks like you did not use Crisco or equal over each cylinder port. Do you ever use it?

If you would prefer to PM me on these questions, that is fine with me. ...

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 3, 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
noelf2

Both Pietta Remys I have pattern better with round ball if I use less powder than that (got that tip from someone else on this forum IIRC). Groups tighten up with 28 to 30 grains fffg. Perhaps the heavier conical with same powder charge does the same thing as reducing powder charge with lighter round ball..?
Old July 3, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Hawg

I never tried Lee conicals out of a .44. I did try some SWC's I cast for my 1911 and they were a PITA to load and groups were atrocious. I've shot Lee conicals out of my Navies and they group better with round balls but the conicals aren't bad.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Just got in a batch of about 200 conicals...

From Salvatore.

They are for a .36. I may have to try these out, Dog gonit.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:49 AM   #9
duelist1954

Indy & Pahoo, Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been writing an article this week that really has me tied up. So I haven't had time to check the board much.

To answer your questions, yes the conical is lubed. I never use a felt wad with a conical. I only use the wads with round balls to keep the fouling moist. On the conical the lube takes care of that. With the longer conicals I want that space for gun powder.
Old July 4, 2013, 09:03 AM   #10
duelist1954

A little update on the cap jams...

In this case I think the cap jams are related to the cylinders I was using. I did a trade for some used Remington cylinders. I thought I'd save time on range day by pre-loading a bunch of cylinders at home the night before.

All my jams were on those spare cylinders. The cylinders supplied with the guns worked fine.

The cylinders I got in trade were advertised as Pietta cylinders, and they all mounted on my gun, so I thought I was good to go. But I was wrong

All those spare cylinders were a bit short in my Pietta NMAs. There was enough fore and aft movement under the impact of the hammer fall and from recoil to cause the jams.

As it turns out, those cylinders fit my Uberti NMA perfectly.

Lesson learned...Uberti cylinders, being smaller will function on a Pietta gun, but you can't get a Pietta cylinder into an Uberti gun...
Old July 5, 2013, 08:16 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

Quote:
And why no patch with the Conicals.???????...
indy1919 do you really use patches on your revolver?
Patches are not (normally) used with c&b revolvers. Instead a smearing of a grease of some kind goes over the ball after it is seated on top of the powder. Another way is to put a lubed wad over the powder and under the ball.
Do some searching and find instructions for loading a c&b revolver.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Hawg

I think he just said patch instead of wad. That's how I took it anyway.
Old July 5, 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

Thanks for another fine video Mike - I always enjoy them. Makes a person want to "re-think" on conicals!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 5, 2013, 08:49 PM   #14
indy1919

the Wad / patch faux pas

Rifleman1776....

Yeah what I meant to say was Wad not patch... But you have to understand I was pretty shaken up there as I typed.... I was happy with my Balls, I was comfortable with them.. everything fit just fine in my world and then the big crapola ..

One well done informative 9 minute youtube video turned my idyllic world upside down.. Truly an episodic moment in my life...

And the worst part is that I kept asking myself over and over again.. Why the Sam Hill didn't I ever shoot conicals before?????

I Shoot Minnie Balls in long guns and liked them. Why the blinders with the handguns..

I Do not not remember much after firing off that message.. My bride said for hours I sat in front of the black computer screen just muttering to my self as I rolled 2 lead balls in my hand (.44 caliber ..well really .451 caliber).. She said it reminded her of an Sadder, Older, Fatter looking Captain Queeg

Oh Mike not only did you Sell a Pietta Remington But I ordered 3 different boxes of conicals to try and no stinkin patches.. err I mean wads .....
Old July 8, 2013, 03:35 AM   #15
Bill Akins

Quote:
indy1919 wrote:
"I was happy with my Balls, I was comfortable with them.. everything fit just fine in my world and then the big crapola .. "
Now I KNOW there is a joke punchline somewhere for that above sentence.
But out of decency I will refrain .

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 8, 2013, 10:15 AM   #16
maillemaker

What Lee mold did you use for the conicals?

Steve
Old July 8, 2013, 10:31 AM   #17
duelist1954

Lee MOLD D C 450-200-1R
Old July 8, 2013, 09:30 PM   #18
thebser

duelist1954

I just realized I watched a lot of your videos on youtube before I got my first bp gun! Very useful stuff! I was a lil iffy about getting a bp revolver but after watching your videos I went for it! Im loving it too! I have a cva navy brasser, But plan on getting a steel in the near future. Thanks again it crazy ive found you on this forum......