The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 1, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
CrossIL

Article on the "reinvention" of the AK-47

While the article is from a dubious source. It is still kinda fun to read, and its short.

Reinventing the AK-47
Old May 2, 2013, 03:37 AM   #2
Theohazard

You might want to edit your post to include some more information on the article. As it is now, your thread will probably be considered a drive-by and stands a good chance of being locked by the mods.
Old May 2, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3
kraigwy

Lipstick on a Pig
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 2, 2013, 10:23 AM   #4
chadio

Quote:
Lipstick on a pig
Regardless of how you feel about the AK47, isn't it the most popular battle rifle?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Scorch

I guess Russian mall ninjas gotta have their toys, too.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:58 AM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
Regardless of how you feel about the AK47, isn't it the most popular battle rifle?
Yes but why is it the most popular rifle???

Could it be because the Soviets "gave" away millions to third world countries???

And these third world countries have hundreds of little kids "hand loading" ammo for those millions of AKs out there.

Bet you all those do dad's in the link wont be going to these same third world countries.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:13 AM   #7
HKFan9

And the Smith and Wesson Sigma series is one of the most popular handguns out there, doesn't make it the best, or good for that matter.

It's best part is generally when you see an AK vs AR debate its based on the AR guys wanting all the little do-dads and toys to go on their guns, and the AK guys boast they want a bigger is better round and they don't need bolt on toys.

Funny that Russia, started using a smaller caliber in their AKM rifles, and now they are doing just what we do with our AR15's, bolt on all kinds of goodies.

I guess imitation really is the biggest form of flattery.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:33 AM   #8
RickB

Quote:

Yes but why is it the most popular rifle???

Could it be because the Soviets "gave" away millions to third world countries???
Yeah, worked for the Soviets, and worked for Glock, though I don't think the latter have really exploited the third-world market, yet!
Actually, the AK isn't a battle rifle, it's an assault rifle. I don't think the Soviets ever really had a battle rifle, used in any numbers, after the Mosin-Nagant?
Old May 2, 2013, 11:53 AM   #9
tahunua001

it's been done by civilians for years and it still is not the equal to an AR15.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:18 PM   #10
DubC-Hicks

No matter which side you are on, you have to admit that both are great rifles. And if everyone only bought AR's, there would be no variety. All personal preference. I for one like toys on my ak AND ar15.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:43 PM   #11
tahunua001

both are good, the AR is just much better in my own not-at-all-humble opinion. if everyone owned ARs there would still be 4 times as many calibers as it would if everyone owned AKS and ARs range from long range target models to close range mall ninjas to wood clad oddballs, there would still be quite a bit of variety
Old May 2, 2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
I don't think the Soviets ever really had a battle rifle, used in any numbers, after the Mosin-Nagant?
Tokarev SVT-40
Old May 2, 2013, 12:59 PM   #13
tahunua001

SKS is kindof right on the precipice of being a battle rifle as well... just throwing that out there
Old May 2, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
DubC-Hicks

Either way, I'm glad I currently have the right to own both. I do like my AR more, but the AK isn't leaving my collection any time in my lifetime.

It's like comparing the original 1911 to a new HK. The HK has more options, but there is something about the simplicity of that 1911 that draws us all in.
Old May 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Erno86

I'd love to own an AK-12, but sadly...it will only be in my dreams.

Quote:
On a cultural level, the AK is a symbol of anti-Western ideology, seen daily on the front pages of our newspapers. Stock video footage of a white-robed Osama bin Laden shows him firing an AK, a message to the world that he was the true antiestablishment fighter.

To this day, one of the most contentious arguments in military circles is, "Which is the better weapon, the M-16 or the AK?" The argument will never be resolved, and it is moot. The AK's reputation as the underdog's weapon was born in the rice paddies of Vietnam, given a boost by an unwitting U.S. military.

The lesson of Vietnam is that determined soldiers with simple, realible arms can beat a well-trained military force despite its sophisticated weapons, like the M-16. In the years that followed the Vietnam War, the larger-than-life AK spread around the globe, giving power and prestige to ad hoc armies, thugs, and terrorists who would change the face of the world forever.
Quotes: From the book --- AK-47 --- The Weapon That Changed the Face of War, by Larry Kahaner, WILEY books

--- George Orwell
Old May 2, 2013, 04:50 PM   #16
ttarp

I'd be more interested in a Galil than a revamped AK, and isn't the Sig 550 series supposed to be somewhat of an improved AK design?
Old May 2, 2013, 05:09 PM   #17
SR420

I'm very happy with my Chinese AKM that I modernized myself
a few years ago and it's good to see others modernizing theirs.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:24 PM   #18
spacecoast

Boy, some of you guys are hard on the AK platform. It offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Old May 2, 2013, 08:45 PM   #19
kraigwy

Quote:
The lesson of Vietnam is that determined soldiers with simple, realible arms can beat a well-trained military force despite its sophisticated weapons, like the M-16
EXCEPT:

The AK DID NOT defeat the US Soldier using the M16. There was no major battle anywhere where the AK was used against the M16 where the AK came out on top.

Best go back and read a bit of history. The NVA were defeated on the ground and according to the Paris Peace Accords was to remain in the North and Vietnam was to remain divided.

That was in the Spring of '73, in the spring of '75 (two years later) the NVA re-invaded the south and our weak kneed powers to be failed to honor our commitment to our allies and did nothing except cut off all funds to the RVN, not even allowing them small arms ammo - no bullets.

I don't care what gun you have, its useless without bullets.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:04 PM   #20
guf

AK47

It's popular because it works reliably with minimum maintence as opposed to the M16 which must be cleaned regularly. It's also cheap/easy to manufacture and is chambered for a round(7.62x39) which is effective at the range most fire fights occur at. The only thing better about the M-16 is accuracy, provided it's been kept clean and isn't jammed.
Old May 2, 2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
Boy, some of you guys are hard on the AK platform.
The AK was never intended to be handled with velvet gloves. You are supposed to be hard on them. They can take it.

That said, I own both ARs and AKs, and they are both great rifles. The whole "which is better" argument is moot. I love both platforms. They are both incredibly reliable. But, if the situation demanded it, though, I'd be grabbing my AR. Maybe if I was an illiterate farmer or child soldier, though, I might have a different opinion.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Tucker 1371

Quote:
there is something about the simplicity of that 1911 that draws us all in.
Not to nitpick, throw stones, argue semantics yada yada, but the 1911 is far from a simplistic design. A Glock to AK and 1911 to AR comparison, IMHO, would be more accurate.

That said the AK12 looks pretty sweet, hopefully someone like Arsenal will be able to produce one for sale here in the US. I love the AR but to be quite honest it bores me.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old May 3, 2013, 08:24 AM   #23
DubC-Hicks

I was thinking about that afterwards. I guess I didn't really mean simple. I meant more like old-school styling.

If I would have compared an AK to a Glock, I think more people would hate the AK. More people like the 1911 over a Glock.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:06 AM   #24
Skans

It looks like Gecko45 finally landed a new job outfitting the Russian Military.

Perhaps Vladimir Putin went to one of our gun shows, bought the first AK he found as he walked in the door, and couldn't resist purchasing a different AK doo-dad from each table table he passed by. It's a good thing no one has told him about gunbroker yet. Shhhhhhhhhhh......http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=333281005
Old May 3, 2013, 09:41 AM   #25
spacecoast

Must be a better gun than this one, it's priced higher

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=339628905

or he could save his rubles and just get the AR grip -

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=328685381