The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 10:18 AM   #1
SonOtheSouth

My first semi-auto pistol...

So I bought my first semi-auto yesterday...I got a Springfield XD .40 sub compact. All black... And man is she sweet.
I have always been a revolver kind of guy ( Ruger SP101 ), just because less moving parts = reliability in my mind. But I figured what the hell and picked this up.
Question : whats the best type of holster to avoid holster 'wear' ? I guess cosmetics won't matter when the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] goes down, but I hate to think of putting wear on the slide etc... Are those plastic holsters bad about this, like fobus etc ?
Old January 18, 2013, 02:55 PM   #2
SauerGrapes

I use a IWB nylon soft holster for my PT709. I've been using it for about 3 1\2 years now. The gun shows minimal wear considering it goes in and out of the holster once a day.
''Plastic'' holsters arn't my thing reguardless of whether they put wear on the gun or not. All my other holsters are leather. {OWB}
Spend a little money and get a decent holster. Don't worry so much about some hoslter wear. It's going to happen.
Some companies do make lined Kydex holsters and you'll pay a little more for them.

I always function test a new carry gun with a couple hundred rounds prior to putting into service. A good functioning semi auto will be very reliable.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 18, 2013, 10:52 PM   #3
SonOtheSouth

Thanks for the reply... I took the gun to a couple of shops and settled on a OWB leather Don Hume. Just like this one in the pic... it's a bit stiff but the owner was wearing one that had broken in nicely. Now, if I can just find a Pierce pinky extension for my single stack clip, I'll be good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donhumefirstagentbeltho.jpg (120.3 KB, 27 views)
Old January 19, 2013, 04:32 PM   #4
doctoss

To carry concealed I like IWB better. I like the Crossbreed holster, but I usually wear the Milt Sparks because I paid so much for it.
Old January 19, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Moby

I wear a Desantis IWB daily. I seldom remove the pistol from the holster other than after the range for cleaning.

The important thing to you carry always.
Once your weapon is holstered there is little reason to remove it.
Just let it live in the holster until range time or go time.

And let's hope you don't need go time.

This will reduce wear and tear.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 19, 2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Flieger67

I'm pretty slim and IWB is difficult for me unless I get really loose pants.

I started using a Blackhawk Check Six (an OWB holster) which places the pistol about my 7-8 o'clock position. It also holds the pistol a little above horizontal with the grip pointed up. I find that position is a good angle for drawing and is also comfortable to wear for long periods.

I usually wear untucked shirts and printing is little to almost none for me with either a Kahr CM 9 or a Glock 19.

Good luck in your holster search. You'll probably end up with a few different ones as a result of your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
SonOtheSouth

Well, I do not carry the weapon. It is an at home defense weapon... I just wanted a holster just in case the need arises. After trying out all the different holsters, I can say for sure that I can't stand an inside the waste holster. Just bugs the crap outta me.
But this holster does hug the gun very tightly against the hip, and fairly low. So, when wearing a t-shirt it's doesn't really print much.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Boncrayon

My first semi-auto pistol...

I use the Black Hawk #3 soft pocket holster. I carry my LC9 comfortably as long as I have deep enough pockets and loose enough slacks. I also have a CrossBreed that I like, but not as comfortable as the soft pocket option.