The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Catoy71

Springfield Loaded TRP sounds cheap when racking the slide

Own a number of 1911s varying in both quality and price . . Kimber, Ed Brown, Nighthawk Custom. Added a Springfield Loaded TRP to the collection, and while racking the slide, it sounds gritty . . (Springfield stamped a fit control number, which is slightly raised, on the channel that complements the disconnector). You can also hear what sounds like the guide rod spring binding . . factory two piece full-length guide rod is still in place. My other 1911s including the Kimbers (Pro-Custom Shop) rack back on glass and sound custom / solid. Is this to be expected from Springfield as normal design protocol like a rattle, or is this something that needs refining?
Old October 6, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2
KyJim

The Springfield Loaded is an entirely different model than the Springfield TRP. The Loaded comes in different configurations but it is basically a mid-priced 1911 with features that used to only be obtained through customizing (lowered and angled ejection port, beavertail grip safety, enhanced sights, etc.). These sort of features are now available on models from most manufacturers. They have reasonably good fit and reasonably good triggers but not much in the way of hand fitting.

The TRP, on the other hand, is supposed to be a mid-upper level 1911 based on the custom Professional model. They are well regarded and have more hand fitting.

If you have the Loaded model, the "grittiness" of the slide would not be unusual and will smooth out with use. The recoil spring is not binding; it can't with a FLGR and I've never heard of one actually binding with a standard length guide rod. Again, I would suspect that to smooth out with use. That's part of the difference in paying for a mid-line gun and high end production gun.

I would not expect to have these in a TRP but if yours is a TRP, I would still shoot 300 rounds or so through it to see if these things go away.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
HKFan9

+100 to KyJim
Old October 7, 2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Well said Ky Jim.
Old October 7, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
and while racking the slide, it sounds gritty . . (Springfield stamped a fit control number, which is slightly raised, on the channel that complements the disconnector)
They're still doing this, eh?

The last couple of Springfields 1911's I bought had the same issue, and that was over 10 years ago. Some monkey with an electro engraving pen "carved" those numbers into the underside of the side, and they were so deep, I had to stone them down to get the gun to be "smooth". Gritty describes it exactly, as if the thing was loaded with sand. If I was to let it "break in" on its own, as bad as those carvings were, Id still be at it to this day.

Those two pistols, along with a couple of others (including a Loaded model) and the SOCOM I had, pretty much swore me off Springfield for good.