The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Gdawgs

Tried Trail Boss with rifle cartridge

I just recently learned that you can use Trail Boss powder with pretty much any cartridge/bullet combination. I'm guessing it probably won't produce enough pressure to cycle semi-autos, but works with pretty much anything else. I am going to try loading up some 9mm, 40, and maybe some 45ACP just to see if it works, but not too many.

So anyway, I have a Remington XP-100 chambered in 35 Remington, so I figured I'd give it a try with the Trail Boss. Since there is no load data for that caliber and bullet(200 gr jacketed), I just followed the instructions on the web site. I didn't get a chance to do any accuracy testing or chrony work(no idea how fast they are going), but I was able to hit all the little steel targets I was aiming at. They are definitely reduced loads from standard ones, but still seemed to have plenty of zip. I let my 8 yr old son shoot it and he loved it.

I think this has some real practical applications. For example you could download some large rifle cartridges like a 300 Win mag(or whatever) and a smaller kid could use it for deer hunting.

I see lots of playing around with this in my future.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Hammerhead

I absolutely love Trail Boss in the 30-30 and the 45 Colt (carbine loads), but I always use it with lead.
I always thought the 35 Rem would be fun with .357 revolver bullets and Trail Boss.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
jcwit

Hammerhead, what loads do you use/suggest in the 30-30 using Trail Boss? I've been trying to come up with a load and every load so far shoots 6 to 8 inches low.

I using a cast, gas checked, 150 grain lead bullet in front of 8 grains of Trail Boss, I also tried 8 1/2 gr. of Trail Boss with not much change in elevation. I do have the rear sight as high as it will go. Any suggestions welcome.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Gdawgs

Maybe I'll try that. Accuracy might suffer a bit since 357 bullets are, well .357 diameter, while 35 Rem bullets are .358. But it might be a fun plinker.

I haven't been using Trail Boss all that long, but it has quickly moved up into my Favorite Powders list. It really has to be the most versatile powder made. You really can use it in pretty much anything. Of course you don't get high velocities out of anything, but it sure is fun. Plus you could send your 2nd grader off to school and he can brag that he shot an elephant gun at the range over the weekend
Old September 29, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
jcwit

Quote:
Plus you could send your 2nd grader off to school and he can brag that he shot an elephant gun at the range over the weekend
And the pity is in todays world, he and his parents would be seeing the school counsler shortly after.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Gdawgs

JC, can you get any more powder in there? The 35 Rem looked to max out at about 12 grains. I haven't tried a 30-30 case, but I would think that you should be able to stuff a little more in there.

Hammerhead will probably have some suggestions.

Good point on the school thing. It's a sad world these days
When I went to HS (which wasn't that long ago, 20 years) kids had their guns hanging on racks in their pickups so they could go hunting after school. That would get you locked up real quick now days.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Don't use Trail Boss in 9mm, 40SW or 45acp unless you're prepared to deal with bullets stuck in the barrel.

I use Trail Boss for reduced rifle loads in several cartridges and it also reportedly works great for its original purpose, which is to replace black powder in some cartridges.

But, it can not be compressed and at uncompressed 100% load levels it will not produce enough pressure in a small capacity case in a semi-auto.

It might work sometimes, or it might not. So long as you're prepared for squibs and check the barrel every time, it's not going to be dangerous, but what would be the point?

As an example, QuickLoad thinks a 100% charge of TB under a 125gr XTPS in 357sig would produce just 650fps from a 5" barrel and 705fps under a 200gr JHP in 45acp at 5".

Those velocities are CONSIDERABLY less than normal starting loads.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; September 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8
rclark

Quote:
But, it can not be compressed
Hmmm well, yes it can is some cases... The Hornady manual lists for .44Mag, a 9.6g of TB under 240g SWC which is a compressed load. Here is my .44Mag Trail Boss Tests . I have used it in .38/.357, .44Spec/.44Mag, and of course .45 Colt. All here is a couple tests with .45 ACP . Haven't tried it in a rifle yet. I do like the powder. If fact I shot a few rounds of it in .45 Colt this afternoon and yesterday. I only use lead bullets with it BTW.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; September 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:03 AM   #9
Ideal Tool

Hello, everyone. I use Trail Boss in an 1895 Winchester-Lee straight-pull .236 (6mm) sporting rifle. I am using the Ideal 245498 cast bullet over 10.0gr. T.B. 3/4" groups shoot to open sights at 50 yds.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Hammerhead

Quote:
Maybe I'll try that. Accuracy might suffer a bit since 357 bullets are, well .357 diameter, while 35 Rem bullets are .358. But it might be a fun plinker.
I was thinking of .358" lead bullets, but I get the feeling you don't want to shoot lead. I got good results with 9mm & .38 Super (.355" & .356") jacketed and plated bullets in the .357 magnum during the component shortage of '08-'09, so you might give it a try. Plated .357" bullets would be my choice in the .35 Rem because they're softer.

My suggestion to jcwit would be to try a slightly shorter front sight to bring the cast bullets up into his adjustment range while (hopefully) still being able to sight in factory rounds.
Old September 30, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Gdawgs

Hammerhead, I have nothing against lead. That's what I shoot probably 90% of the time. But you got me on this one. For some reason I was thinking my 357 lead bullets are .357. But you are correct, they are .358. I'm going to try is with 158 gr SWCs. I'm thinking I'll start around 10gr of TB. Should be slower than a hot 357 load.