The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
praetorian97

Re-purposed Gun locker

I recently upgraded from a gun locker to a gun safe.

Ended up re-purposing my locker into an ammo locker. Storing all my reloaded rounds was getting a little out of hand.

Old February 27, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Very nice - I've got my reloads scattered between my bench, the drawers in my gun cabinet, and a little two cubic foot office safe that I don't use for anything else. I need to do something like what you did, just to consolidate everything.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
praetorian97

Thats exactly how I felt.

Every time it was range day I would have to make stops all over the house and garage gathering things.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:46 PM   #4
serf 'rett

Currently re-purposing a walk in closet to house reloading supplies and finished product. Needless to say - the wife is less than thrilled; however, there are some real benefits to getting that last kid out of the house.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5
gwalchmai

Looks good. Are those shelves reinforced? I'd be afraid that particle board might sag.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
AlaskaMike

The ammo locker is a great idea. I keep my guns in a safe primarily because I'm concerned about them being stolen if my house ever gets burglarized, but I've never thought about all my ammo being stolen. Considering all the time and money I have invested in my ammo, I probably need to do something like this.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
praetorian97

Quote:
Originally Posted By Serf'rett:
Currently re-purposing a walk in closet to house reloading supplies and finished product. Needless to say - the wife is less than thrilled; however, there are some real benefits to getting that last kid out of the house.
I've tried every trick in the book to make that happen. My only hope is when we move again to run into a room and claim it like a 12 year old would.

Quote:
Originally Posted By gwalchmai:
Looks good. Are those shelves reinforced? I'd be afraid that particle board might sag.
Definitely! Plus its 1/2" plywood supported by four 2x4s. With that small surface area I think I should be fine against sagging. I will eventually load up three 50 cal cans per shelf. That's about 25-30lbs per can.

Quote:
Originally Posted By alaskamike:
The ammo locker is a great idea. I keep my guns in a safe primarily because I'm concerned about them being stolen if my house ever gets burglarized, but I've never thought about all my ammo being stolen. Considering all the time and money I have invested in my ammo, I probably need to do something like this.
I am very paranoid about that. People tend to rob drug dealers because they know they have money and drugs. If people know I have guns and ammo I don't want to be a target. When neighbors have come by to borrow tools or others see what I have laying out I tend to get a little nervous. At least this way they can see two locked containers and it should keep the honest people honest.