The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 19, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Convert a modern AR to select-fire?

Just an idle thought that came up during another thread - can you legally convert a modern (post-1986) AR to select-fire using a drop-in auto sear or "lightning link", as long as the DIAS/LL was manufactured and registered prior to 1986 and you did all the applicable paperwork and paid the proper taxes?

I realize that this is more of a theoretical question than a practical one, since there aren't a lot of legal conversion kits floating around on the market - I'm just curious.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2
David Hineline

Yes you can. The RLL is quite picky about receivers and bolt carrier specs as it was designed for the Colt SP1 gun and guns have deviated since then. The RLL works with no other conversion parts.

The RDIAS uses all conversion parts, some receivers have selector stops that prevent the rotation of the selector, some have what is called a high shelf which will need milled down to give clearance for the RDIAS to drop in. The worst gun to us is a Colt that sear blocked the receiver to prevent the use.

Expect to pay $3000 more for a RDIAS than you would for a full gun, they are more rare, and people pay a premium to give their gun a newish tactical look compared to being stuck with an old style receiver.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:54 PM   #3
ScottRiqui

Thanks for the quick reply - that's pretty much what I thought, and it makes sense, but I've found that "makes sense" and "legal" don't always line up just right.
Old February 20, 2012, 12:02 AM   #4
David Hineline

Also machineguns do not have limits on short barrels so as long as the conversion kit is in the gun, it can have a short barrel without separate short rifle registration.
Old February 20, 2012, 12:05 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

Thanks again - I remembered that you could SBR a machinegun "for free". Adding a suppressor to a machinegun still requires the additional tax and paperwork, though - correct?
Old February 20, 2012, 01:04 AM   #6
David Hineline

yes to silencer tax.