The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 18, 2012, 10:10 AM   #26
12GaugeShuggoth

Scary stuff, all it would've taken was that one Gold Dot expanding and this story would've had a completely different ending . I've experienced inconsistent expansion out of my own snub with Short Barrel Gold Dots and won't carry them anymore because of it. Definitely an interesting comparison showing the perps' hand compared to the good guys' hand.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 18, 2012, 11:49 AM   #27
saands

Quote:
1. It illustrates the importance of information security in our daily lives. The get-together was targeted because the woman living upstairs informed her new ex-con boyfriend about it (and helped him buy the gun).
Thanks Bart ... Somehow I missed that in my first read of the story ... but it is a real lesson. Sometimes we can't control information, but often we can. Reducing the information flow reduces the chances that it gets into the wrong hands. Just another example of how an ounce of prevention can be worth more than a pound of cure.

Saands
Old January 18, 2012, 05:31 PM   #28
dyl

I find it disturbing (but I'll get over it) that the attacker was carrying hollowpoints. That goes against the stereotype that I wish I could adopt - that criminals are thoughtless and ill prepared. Well, in some areas of life they are thoughtless but that's a different matter.

His girlfriend helped him get the gun - I'm guessing that's a straw purchase, and she probably received some help at the store to purchase effective rounds for it.

So while I can almost hear someone saying "see! if the girlfriend couldn't purchase the gun then the boyfriend wouldn't have got it". but where there's a will there's a way and someone bent on breaking the law has wider boundaries / resources to draw on. About carry licenses: the attacker was illegally carrying the firearm (if it's true he was an ex-con) and the defender was doing so legally. This is an argument for licensed carry. If concealed firearm licenses were banned the attacker could have used a large knife (also illegal to carry in some places) while the defender might only have folding pocket knife...so long as it wasn't beyond 2.5 or 3 inches or whatever the magic number is.

Sorry to get off topic, preaching to the choir I know. That robber seemed to have thought it through, commanding everyone to lay down on their stomach which would hamper physical movement and vision. Just a bit unsettling.
Old January 18, 2012, 06:13 PM   #29
ConlawBloganon

This is not an unfamiliar scenario. Pretty much any convenience store or bank robbery has a propensity to play out like this, as the BG's attempt to control a larger number of citizens. Makes a good case for practicing the draw from the "surrender" position, practicing prone handgun shooting, and perhaps even getting a wallet-holster for a pocket gun, so that you're pulling out your wallet and get the drop on him that way.