The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Leejack

Tell me about RIA? Any opinions?

I fondled a RIA 1911 today at the local gun store. Something about it caught my eye. I have never owned one.

It was a plain Jane GI style gun. I must say, it felt good, especially the trigger. In typical GI fashion, the sieghts were almost non existent. The serrations were striaght up & down, just they way I like them. Had wooden grip panels and the controls felt good.

This particular store is known for high prices. It was $539.

Tell me about your experience with RIA? Price, fit and finish, durability, reliablility, accuracy, warranty etc... There was another customer looking as well and said "those Rock Islands are very good". Hum??? Interesting!

Thanks for your input,

Lee
Old July 14, 2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Win

I have two of the 45 auto variants - a full size tactical (it has fixed sights you can see), and a compact (commander?) with the GI sights.

Both were $450 ish, a little high compared to what some report, but the compact one has a very nice rubber Hogue grip put on by the gun shop in place of the wood grips.

The full size shoots very good with fmj ammo, but, with the factory mag, acts odd on jhp. If a jhp is the first round in the magazine, it will jam every time. If a fmj is the first round in the magazine, and all following rounds are jhp, it feeds all rounds just fine every time.

I have not shot the compact yet, but I bought an extra Wilson Combat mag in case it had the same problems as the factory mag in the full size. The two do not have compatible mags. The full size comes apart like a 1911, the compact not so much.

Fit seems good, parkerized finish is fine considering the price. I feel like an idiot for not buying one in 9mm the only time I saw one.

Hope this helps, they're my only 1911's so I have no other point of reference. I got the RIA to see what all the fuss over 1911's was about. I think I understand now, even on these entry level 1911's.

Best regards to all.
Old July 14, 2010, 04:50 PM   #3
finz50

You can buy the RIA basic model for $399 online at budsgunshop.com
Old July 14, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Andrewh

The general concensus is they are gtg.
Warranty is on par with springfield and colt.
There are lemons in everyone's batches, but RIA will take care of you if you find one.

The only issue people have is the cast frame, but lots of makers are going to that, so I don't see it as a big deal.

Sarco inc and centrfire systems generally have the best prices.
9mm's just came out, so there will be more later.
Old July 14, 2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

I really don't care for the billboard stamped on the slide. I really hate that.

Also, I...well, that's all I've got. They're very good pistols at the price. From what I've seen, they're reliable. A gunsmith with whom I worked had nothing but praise for the metallurgy and fitting.

The "tactical" models shoot quite well, and I've no doubt the GI model will, though I detest the old-style sights. Bear in mind that the sights on the GI models are not dovetailed, so you'll need some gunsmithing to change them.

Other than that, they seem to be impeccable guns, irrespective of price.