The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 12, 2010, 02:53 PM   #1
lt dan

Home made electronic decoy possible?

is it possible? i am from s-africa and although electronic remote controlled predator callers such as foxpro are common found, the reality is that i dont know or have ever heard of locals using decoys with the callers.
now there might be 2 reasons for this. 1- it is not commonly available in africa and most hunters dont even know of their existence. 2- a couple of folks tried it and it didnt work on african predators, so they stopped importing it.

so i dont want to import one if it's not going to work, but if it is possible to built one from stuff laying around i will give it a try.

i have the feeling that it is going to work and work well. i showed a fellow predator hunter some decoy clips on YouTube and seeing as he is an electrician of trade he suggested we can make something out of a wiper motor.

any suggestions.
Old July 12, 2010, 03:50 PM   #2
davlandrum

Lt - are you talking about the "tail-twitch" kind of decoy?

For a minimum investment, I would try something like a tail on a car antenna attached to something springy and move it by attaching a piece of fishing line to it. If you are using it in combo with a call, it won't take much to get their attention focused on it.

At least that would be a cheap way to experiment.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 12, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Irish80prf

I use one of these for coyotes. I don't know if you would be able to get something like this but it's an option. you can put rabbit fur on it if you want something other then the feathers. It has a timer on it so it will run for a set amount of time.

http://www.amazon.com/Loco-Motion-El.../dp/B000N9W7HW
Old July 13, 2010, 03:15 PM   #4
lt dan

davlandrum, my old friend i should have known you would reply. i had something similar in mind as what you suggested. one problem though it was too low tech. lets be honest i have to impress the local boys with my ingenuity. so i bought a remote controlled car and striped it and added a wire to the wheels that is mounted of centre;. next i added a fluffy like toy with a tail to the top of the wire and presto: as soon as i touch the remote control ever so gently the fluffy toy goes berserk. BUT!!!, the proof is in the taste of the beer , i have to take a predator with the decoy before i have bragging rights. i will use the decoy in conjunction with a fox pro.

Irish, that looks perfect, but i have never seen anything like that in local stores, pity though it would definitely work. maybe i should simply import a couple of those

any suggestions for the distance between the decoy and the fox pro?

Last edited by lt dan; July 13, 2010 at 03:37 PM.