The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2010, 01:05 AM   #51
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpzwms
Dr Strangelove

Welcome to the DARKSIDE!

The next question is are you loading to shoot or shooting to load? I wish I had an answer to that question!
Thanks!

The answer is, I shoot because I enjoy it, and I load because I enjoy it.

Do I save money? Meh, maybe. I can load a box of premium deer hunting bullets for 1/3 the cost of buying them off the shelf. I've also owned my center-fire loading equipment for 20+ years (I'm only 36). Do I save money? Maybe, but mostly I just shoot more for the same money.

I have done the math, shotgun loading for the meager amount of it I do makes no sense at all, economically. I could buy the most expensive boxes of shells I could find and still come out ahead for the amount I shoot.

I posted on this topic not because I have any experience loading shot-shells, but because I saw all the folks getting so defensive about why they load.

I load because I want to, I will start loading shot-shells because I want to, not for any monetary savings. I load center-fire rifle and pistol because I enjoy it, and I get more accurate ammunition.

I'd like to experiment with shot-shells and see what I can do with them, I don't care if I pay more or less than factory loads. When I see threads like this, I always respond with "if you're just getting into it to save money, think twice..".

I deer hunt, turkey hunt, and fish for trout. If I had to justify those hobbies by the cost of the meat, I'd just go to the grocery store!
Old July 15, 2010, 07:07 AM   #52
darkgael

$

Quote:
I deer hunt, turkey hunt, and fish for trout. If I had to justify those hobbies by the cost of the meat, I'd just go to the grocery store!
+1`about that. Is there more expensive meat than venison, all things considered?
What happens when one reloads is that the cost per round goes down though the cost of shooting may rise.
I'm reloading my own shotshells - like I reload everything else that I shoot - I can load for less than I can buy because I was given some of the necessaries years ago. But ....three months ago I was not shooting any thing like the number of shells per week that I am now and that free stuff will go away fast.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; July 15, 2010 at 07:15 AM.