The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 07:28 AM   #1
billykaldrich

any one use snake gaiters?

I am going into snake country next month and wonder if anybody has expirence using Cabelas snake gaiters or is it a waste if money.wat up with that
Old May 21, 2005, 09:14 AM   #2
JB in SC

I've owned a pair of Russell Snake boots since 1970, they come in pretty handy at times.

When the weather is really hot, I wear Turtleskins gaiters when hunting in snake country. They are pretty expensive, but very lightweight (6 oz per square yd). Don't feel as cumbersome or as hot as the Cordura versions, yet are still waterproof.

Last edited by JB in SC; May 21, 2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 21, 2005, 01:04 PM   #3
locked'n'cocked

they wont hurt anything. id carry a pistol too though. maybe with some of that bird shot in it.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old May 21, 2005, 04:13 PM   #4
JRLaws

I once worked summers on a survey crew to pay for school. We had to wear the snake gaiters made from a metal (copper or brass I think) screen inside of green canvas. Being a young man, I felt they were too hot and restrictive at first. After I nearly stepped on a half dozen copperheads and rattle snakes, I was ready to wear them to bed. I never had a snake test their "stopping power", but sure felt better having them on around the snakes.

Get the best set you can find and see if you aren't much more relaxed in snake country.

Be safe,
JRLaws
Old May 21, 2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I've backpacked pretty much all over the US, and it depends on where I am. In the desert SW I don't wear 'em, but I am careful where I put my hands and feet. In the SE, I wear a pair of Gokey's (sp?). It's amazing how easily a 6' Eastern Diamondback can hide in palmetto.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 21, 2005, 11:10 PM   #6
MeekAndMild

Had a pair of snake boots once. Hot, stiff and painful to walk in. Learned how to watch my step so as to avoid snakes. Used the leather from the boots to make holsters.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:31 AM   #7
GodblessAmerica

Absolutely use them if you are concerned. Yes they are hot and not ergonomic, but the gaiters are more comfortable than the snake boots and give you more confidence than nothing, especially if you're not used to having to walk carefully and look where you step. Almost everyone that I know here in TN uses some kind of protection from snakes when they are in the woods. Take precaution.
G
Old May 22, 2005, 03:40 AM   #8
guntotin_fool

don;t wear them and then realize that pee soaked blue jeans will not stop a rattler. ( you will pee that first time you hear one three feet away)
Old May 22, 2005, 09:52 PM   #9
HunterTRW

A number of years ago I purchased from Chippewa a pair of their knee-high, bull hide, snake-boots. They are remarkably comfortable, surprisingly light weight, and handsome in a 1930s Col. H.P. Sheldon sort of fashion. The peace of mind they afford when hunting in copperhead and rattle snake country is more than offset the slightly slower pace their use may dictate. Plus, I never have to worry if my shoe leather is of sufficient thickness to stop striking fangs.

Boots, gaiters, or chaps: whatever you choose, buy the best you can afford, and enjoy your hunts in snake country.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Last edited by HunterTRW; May 23, 2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old May 23, 2005, 09:47 AM   #10
brushbuster

As a young man I felt invincible now at 55 and some encounters with snakes I take a few more precautions......I have worn snakeboots the past couple of years but after seeing a man nearly die from a snake bite to his upper thigh, I recently purchased a pair of "Rattlers" from Gun dog Supply.......they cover the entire leg and they were about 1/4th the price of the turtleskins and made of heavy duty cordua (sp).

Here's a snake I ran into during deer season.

Old May 23, 2005, 03:19 PM   #11
JB in SC

Nice 'un, you guys eat him/her? Not bad with a cold beer.

I shot one in the Fall of 1969 that was 6'4", the skin is still mounted on a board at a local establishment. Living in SW GA at the time, hunting and fishing as much as possible, Russell's seemed like a good idea.
Old May 26, 2005, 05:57 PM   #12
hivel37

Some years ago, I was dove hunting in south texas. Had a pair of the plastic snap-on leggings. Seeing me putting them on, the rancher said "Better tie something around your butt, Son, that's where he'll be hittin' ya!"

Luckily didn't see any that close.
Old July 8, 2010, 09:23 AM   #13
fly4fish

I realize I am a little late on this thread, but I just want to mention that I had a couple of very close call with rattlesnakes. One in particular when I was wearing shorts with wading boots for fishing. In mid stride I had a snake strike the sole of my boot. I took another step after I felt the tap and heard the belated buzz. Why he did not strike the leg that was on the ground I do not know, but I am very grateful that he did not. After that day I knew I needed to find some snake protection so I started looking around. I found snake gaiters to be the best choice with prices ranging from $50-$130 dollars. Unfortunately where I do my walking and bushwacking it is hot so I wanted a pair that was not to heavy and uncomfortable, so I went with the best pair I could find after trying one of the less expensive brands (which seemed to be 100% effective as well, but hot).

TurtleSkin SnakeArmor is what I went with and have not regretted. They are puncture proof fabric that is light and durable. It is seriously like they are not even on most of the time. They are well worth the money and provide a hug piece of mind. And also, they are very effective against thorns and other things that tear up legs.

Here is a link to the site where I learned about them: www.SnakeProofGear.com
Old July 8, 2010, 04:30 PM   #14
markj

Quote:
I had a couple of very close call with rattlesnakes
Did you wet yer jeans? that was a funny thing....
Old July 8, 2010, 07:21 PM   #15
Pahoo

Fairlytails start out; "Once upon a time"
Sea-Stories start out; "Now this is no [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] guys"

Here is mine, when I lived in Denver, I worked with a guy that hunted Rattlers in the foot-hills with his Father and Brother. This was during the Great Depression and they use to milk the snakes for labs and for the most part, that is how the family survived. Obviously, no Gator companies back then so the used exhaust ducts from the old wood burners. They worked great and they were fortunate and glad to have them. He took me out snake hunting and the Gators worked great. Seems that once in awhile he liked eating rattlers. I have eaten them in Colorado and Texas and I'd rather eat shrimp.

By all means, get the Gators !!
And; ..... Be Safe !!!
Old July 8, 2010, 07:57 PM   #16
bcarver

snake boots

About 4 years ago I changed hunting camps and started hunting turkeys in a big way.
I saw a four foot and five foot snake the first year. A five foot is about twice as large.Timberrattler not diamond back.
Everyone turkey hunted with snake boots. However in the 40 years the camp has been around no hunter has been bit with or without boots.

I have not yet bought boots or leggins but consider them every year.

I also had never meet anyone who told me they had been bit until I met a woman who had been bit 4 times. All gardening in her yard.
Old July 8, 2010, 10:31 PM   #17
fast-eddie

I just wear the chaps, but on most days I don't wear any pants.
Old July 9, 2010, 12:19 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Although I respect your choice, and have momentarily considered snake guards a few times.... I've never had a reason to wear them.

I hunt in the desert, mountains, and everything in between. Everywhere I go, there are a few Pit Viper species (in North America, that's a Rattle Snake, Copperhead, Water Moccasin, or a few others - of course).

I have had plenty of run-ins with Rattlers. Not one of them ended with a real bite*. Usually, the snake was more scared of me, than I was surprised to see it. Every one of them, that was within 10 feet, gave me warning. That ominous rattle sound is unmistakable. If the snake doesn't feel like leaving the area, I do so cordially. (There's no point in throwing rocks or sticks, or shooting it. It's the snake's home, not mine.)

My snake rules:
Keep your eyes open - don't fixate on the trail.
Watch your step.
Watch your hands when climbing steep slopes.
Don't stick body parts in nature's dark holes - especially in rocky areas.
Don't sit on rocks that look like snakes enjoy sunning on them.
If all else fails - Rattle Snake is quite tasty.

*I said above that not one of the encounters ended with a "real bite". My family has had a few bites at our ankles by smaller snakes, but none penetrated our pants and/or boots. My brother is the only person I know, that has had a successful bite. He got scratched on the ankle by fangs that barely penetrated his heavy pants. None of us has ever had a large snake even attempt to bite.
Old July 9, 2010, 02:39 AM   #19
bamaranger

previously

Never worn any, but they were pretty common around here until the advent of comfortable snake boots. A snake booted spring turkey hunter is not an unusual thing in these parts. I typically see at least one poisonous snake every spring, up close, while hunting, sometimes several more.

I've found several pairs of the hard plastic type discarded in the woods. We had several pair of the canvas, metal mesh type in the cache at work, dating back to the 60's I suppose.

I had a heck of a close call w/ a 48" timber rattler one summer night, wearing sleeping shorts and slippers. Walked around the dark side of the house to check the AC, forgot a light. Went back and the darn thing was beside the unit. He had been buzzing, but I could not place the sound because of the racket the unit was making. Very close. How I kept from being bit was a miracle. Don't see how I didn't step on him on the first trip. Second rattler I've killed next to the AC unit. I think the cool, and the toads and bugs the moisture draws, draws snakes too!

If anybody wants to know, a turkey load makes a good snake load too! We keep a .410 out now, expressly as a snake gun.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:09 AM   #20
fly4fish

Hey, it seems that I am a little late on this post, but if anybody comes across this wondering what to do about snake gaiters, I want to stress that you should go with the best pair that you can afford. I bought a cheap pair ($55) and wore them a couple times but then they just got thrown to the side. They were too hot and sweaty and made out of hard plastic (pvc I think) so they were stiff. After having another close call with a rattlesnake where he bit the sole of my river wading boot in mid stride and somehow decided to not strike the bare leg that was right on the ground next to him, I decided it was worth it to go with a pair of snake gaiters that are comfortable enough to wear. I spent $125 on a pair of TurtleSkin SnakeArmor Gaiters and have not regretted it since. I wear them all the time and they are not stiff, hot or sweaty. They are almost unnoticeable as they are made out of a puncture proof fabric that feels much like high quality rain gear. Fortunately I have not tested them out yet on a pair of fangs, but I put my life on it they will stand up to the challenge.

Anyway, if you want to look in to TurtleSkin snake gaiters a little more, here is a link to the site where I learned about them and other snake bite prevention clothing: www.SnakeProofGear.com
Old July 10, 2010, 10:22 PM   #21
HighExpert

I use mine when putting up treestands or scouting. Lets you keep your eye on the surroundings instead of the ground. They also make a great for great protection from blackberries and such. Check them out here. http://www.snakeguards.com/snakeguards.htm
Closed Thread