The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 17, 2017, 02:40 PM   #1
tpcollins

Gotta love that Leupold Zero Point bore sighter

I tried several laser type bore sighters and never liked them. Then I bought the Leupold Zero Point and after understanding how to set it correctly, it never ceases to amaze me how good it works. I have a cheat sheet on all of my firearms as to the exact distance from the center of the bore to the center of the scope.

I recently bought a new Zeiss HD5 scope for my Tikka .204 and set the crosshairs where I thought it should be on the little chart. Went to the range and set up first at 50 yards and the 32gr Hornady V-Max factory that always shoot lights out hit the 3/4" bull the first time.

So I moved over to 100 yards and the first shot was about 1 1/2" low. I made the calculations to hit just under 1" high (for a 200 yard zero) and that's where the 2nd shot hit - good enough, woodchucks beware!

The shot 1" left is the fouler from junk ammo for my .243 that I was getting ready to work up a load for.

Old May 18, 2017, 04:53 PM   #2
jmr40

Glad it's working for you. But those things are $100, that'd buy a lot of ammo. I've never needed more than 3 shots to get a bolt gun zeroed at 100 without one. Usually 1 more shot for a lever, pump or semi-auto since it is harder to bore sight.

Winston Churchill
Old May 18, 2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Blindstitch

Gotta love the knowledge of how to bore site by hand but depending on how many guns you can do and how able a person is to shoot them it could be worth it's weight in lead.

Range fees at the place I go is $18 plus ammo and gas to get there. When I visit my parents with property I usually take a gun and ammo because it's free.

Last one I did by had was 4 inches to the right and came to the bullseye in 3 shots but they don't always do that.