The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 12, 2015, 12:06 PM   #26
buck460XVR

I've worked in wood all of my life, and never had a reaction. But I have seen others that have. Most times it's to those woods with high natural resistance to rot and insects like cedar, redwood and cypress. Most times the reaction is from the inhalation of vapors/dust when sawing or sanding. I've never seen a reaction on the hands from just handling it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it's not very common. I assume there may be folks allergic to ivory, rubber and plastic also.
Old May 12, 2015, 02:02 PM   #27
Bill DeShivs

Not sure about pauo ferro, but S&W used a finish on goncalo alves.
I guess you can slap an applied finish on anything, but hard, oily woods don't need a finish. They can be sanded buffed to a shiny finish. Applied finishes don't adhere well. If you wipe with acetone, oils will eventually still seep to the surface, under your lacquer, etc.
My question is: why would you WANT to apply a surface finish to a wood that polishes beautifully naturally?
Old May 12, 2015, 03:27 PM   #28
T. O'Heir

Any oil should be gone by the time a particular species gets made into anything. Think in terms of liability suits.
Old May 12, 2015, 04:03 PM   #29
Cosmodragoon

Since Hogue is one of the most popular manufacturers and uses rosewood, kingwood, tulipwood, cocobolo, goncalo alves, and pau ferro for their grips, I gave them a call. They said that they know of people having reactions to some of these woods. They recommend goncalo alves to sensitive people as it is less likely to cause problems.

Interestingly, they said that all their smooth grips are finished with carnauba wax, which is pretty benign stuff. They finish all checkered grips with tung oil. I've seen some controversy over whether tung oil can be a problem in its own right or if that's just a myth.
Old May 13, 2015, 07:51 AM   #30
wogpotter

My Pau Ferro grips from them was finished with carnauba wax, in fact I think they actually state that in the advertising.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old May 13, 2015, 10:25 AM   #31
mete

"Oil should be gone " The oil is in the wood and doesn't simply evaporate. That's why stock makers always have wiped forend tips of those woods with acetone before attempting to glue them.
Tung oil.Somewhere I have seen comment that the japanese rifles collected by the military after the war caused problems with our soldiers .The allergic reactions were common from the tung oil that the stocks were treated with.
The public often misunderstands and misnames things like allergies .They don't distinguish between allergy and toxic reactions . The medical "profession" plays their games also.To them the allergic reaction to small molecules is a "sensitivety " .Originally they said only higher animals [ people ] could get allergies . I've met lots of dogs and cats who would argue that !!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:39 AM   #32
Don P

Quote:
What I really want is some data on the comparative allergenic/sensitizing contact strength of popular woods; but that data doesn't seem to exist. A good study would have large groups of people strapped with small untreated wood panels (and inert control materials) on the belly or thigh for a week or two to see what reactions develop. Since I have neither a lab nor a research grant, I figured I'd look for anecdotal evidence.
Well there you go apply for a grant. Seems our government is will to spend money on senseless stuff so this should fall into place in monies wasted. just my most likely unwanted opinion
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:46 AM   #33
4V50 Gary
Staff

We were warned about it in stockmaking. Some people will have allergic reactions but thankfully none of us did. It's mostly to exotic woods and the dust that is generated that is inhaled while working on the wood. Mahogany has been long noted for it.

Most woods are sealed by the finish. However, checkered wood is left unfinished and the user should be aware if they are allergic an exotic wood before using it.
Old May 13, 2015, 01:38 PM   #34
wizrd

Rosewood, cocobolo, pau ferro and other tropical or sub-tropical woods have a lot of oil, best not to finish them with a sealer -- you end up with bubbles under the finish. Hogues fancy wood grips are all finished with a coat of regular carnauba based paste wax. A high-quality dust mask should be used when working - sanding or filing any of these woods, alergic reactions are fairly common. Paste wax is OK for finishing these, it's the preferred method.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:09 PM   #35
FrankenMauser

I'm actually working with some screwbean mesquite for a rifle, right now. Like many varieties of cedar, it is known to have some compounds that don't necessarily get along with some people or animals.

I spent almost a year (on and off) fondling the stocks, rough shaping with a rasp or saw, and drilling holes, with no issues.

But, once I started sanding and producing fine particles... Everything went nuts.
My sinuses would get inflamed, my eyes would itch and water, my hands would swell a bit, and I'd start itching all over.

The first couple of times, I didn't connect the dots. But, once I did, I started washing my hands and face regularly - even stopping what I was doing to wash, and return to the same job - wearing a mask if it didn't interfere with the process, and showering after I dusted, swept, and gave the dust time to settle.
If I don't wear a mask, my sinuses and eyes get a little irritated. But, the itching and swelling are at least reduced and generally not noticeable.

It still doesn't bother me to fondle, test fit (to my shoulder), and gently caress that sexy piece of wood, though.
...It's just the sanding dust that gets to me. And once the stocks are fully finished and sealed, I'll probably forget about the whole thing and never have a problem again.
Old July 27, 2016, 12:38 PM   #36
tannim31

How about this one, about a week and a half ago I purchased Hogue Colt Officers Pau Ferro Smooth Wood Grips with Finger Grooves off ebay, popped em on and thought nothing of it. After about 4 days of edc, I noticed a large tender leathery rash on my carry side, didn't even occure to me that the grips might be the culprit. I started to carry cross draw till the rash went away...until I noticed a similar small rash where the grip had sat on my off side. I'll be putting my rubber Hogue grips back on, and it's a shame because I loved the wood ones.
Old July 27, 2016, 01:45 PM   #37
Skans

I've never had any allergic reactions to any of my wood or more exotic grips. However, I can see how it would be possible. I have always wanted a set of grips made from Lignum Vitae which is a very hard, dense wood with quite a bit of natural oil in it. They use it to make bearings for seafaring vessels.
Old July 27, 2016, 10:23 PM   #38
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...Lignum Vitae which is a very hard, dense wood with quite a bit of natural oil in it. They use it to make bearings for seafaring vessels.
John Harrison, the inventor of the chronometer, used this wood to make self-lubricating parts for a tower clock which he was commissioned to build.

http://rsnr.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/61/1/53
Old July 28, 2016, 08:10 AM   #39
Skans

Thanks John, I enjoyed reading about Mr. Harrison. I didn't realize they used this material in clock making, but it makes sense. It makes me want a set of grips in this wood even more!
Old July 28, 2016, 01:59 PM   #40
mete

If it bothers you , get rid of it ! You can develop allergies at any time ,more so as you get older. Don't play the "it's only a mild reaction " game .I recently read of a woman who hated grey hair so she dyed it each month , with only a mild reaction. Then one month it killed her !!!
Old July 30, 2016, 09:25 PM   #41
johnwilliamson062

Have you ever had poison ivy rash on the palm of your hands?
Even people who are highly allergic rarely do.

The grip of my pistol does not directly contact my body with the holster I use.

The problem with woodworkers is mostly breathing in the sawdust. Saw dust not only has the oil, but is also sharp/abrasive which increases absorption. People who are unaware will start sanding something, breath the dust into their lungs, their lungs swell/close, and they don't even realize what is going on until they are on the floor. The spouse finds them a few hours later when (s)he checks the workshop because they didn't make it to dinner.

I have had reactions working with wood. Never hands. Only eyes and throat/lungs. I simply use a down-draft, 3M carbon cartridge mask, and safety goggles if working with a wood that has bothered me or is listed as toxic. I generally just stick with woods that don't bother me.

Finished grips don't pose much of a problem.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; July 30, 2016 at 09:30 PM.

Tags
allergy , grips , reaction , sensitivity , wood