The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
zzzman247

Value of Granddad's Browning 12 guage?

Anyone know the approximate value of a Belgium made Browning 12 guage shotgun, automatic, st'd weight, with engaving and pad and adjustable choke, good condition and shoots well, serial number 3597XX? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning 12ga Pic 4.JPG (183.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Browning 12ga Pic 2.jpg (239.5 KB, 55 views)
Old March 24, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
BigJimP

There are a lot of them around ...in my area, you'd be lucky to sell it for $ 300.

I have one of my grandpa's old model A 5's in the back of my safe too ...great memories ...but they just aren't worth much money. My advice - enjoy it for what it is ...don't sell it. I think mine / or his / was made in 1947.

According to Browning website ....your gun dates to 1952 / when F.N. took over production.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...tail.asp?id=13
Old March 24, 2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Rembrandt

Maybe a $300-to-$500 gun.....Cutts adjustable choke hurts the value.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:17 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Keep it as a bit of family history.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:46 AM   #5
zzzman247

Thanks

I really appreciate the responses. I wish I could keep the shotguns but I am going through a very expensive divorce and I am having to liquidate a lot of stuff to pay my attorney. I am keeping granddad's 38 revolver he carried in WWII as an officer and great granddad's 32 automatic he carried in his saddle bag while riding as a cowboy for the XIT Ranch in the early 1900s.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:53 AM   #6
BigJimP

That's too bad ....and all I can say is we wish you the best ...

But the issue of price on some of these old Auto 5's ...really comes down to what the prices are in your local area. My best advice it for you to find a good local gun store / that will consider taking them on consignment - or you might just sell them outright to the store.

I think we have a consensus on the forum on what the 12ga is worth / but the 16ga is another matter. But neither gun is in "collector" condition either ( since someone screwed in the metal attachments for a sling )...not that a lot of guys didn't do that ...but its not what a "collector" wants to see.

Your 16ga version is old / but it doesn't look like its the "sweet 16" version that some collectors are looking for - but still, you need to find a local person that will make you an offer on them. A case in point / I've tried to help you value the guns --- but I have no interest in buying either one / they're just not guns I want or collect ( and I have 25 shotguns ...) so for these guns you're going to have to find a "buyer" not a "looker" ....and the best place to do that - is in a good retail shop.