The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2011, 07:27 AM   #1
longfellow

Mold to swap?

Thanks for all of the advice here folks. As a result of your guidance and some testing with alternate bullet styles, I have found that my new custom Accurate (accuratemolds.com) 43-220W wadcutter is casting too large for my gun and is probably not the best shape. If anyone is interested in it (brass, 2 cavity) and is interested in a swap, I need a, semiwadcutter, any weight, that would cast a .432 bullet with Lyman number two alloy (WW with a little tin but straight WW would also be fine.). Tom at Accurate does fantastic work but you should google him to convince yourself. I just need to drop them smaller and do not have or want to alter alloy or casting temp to do it and the Accurate will drop them at .434-.435. Drop me a line if interested. The mold has cast about 400 bullets and is like new of course.
Ed
Old January 18, 2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Powderman

What caliber are you loading for with this mold?
Old January 18, 2011, 11:07 AM   #3
reloader28

I dont want to get rid of any of my 44 molds.
You must shoot as cast, huh?
I would just size them down unless you dont like the bullet.
I like .432 but had to work on all 4 of mine to get it with straight WW.

Ah, just seen your other thread.

Last edited by reloader28; January 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 18, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4
longfellow

response...

Powderman;
44 Special.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Powderman

OK; kinda thought so with the bullet diameter.

Can you not size the bullet to proper diameter? The cheapest--and believe it or not, almost the best--way to go is with the Lee push through sizing kit. I use one for my .45-120 Sharps; another advantage is that they'll cut a sizer die for you in any diameter you want.

I melt lube in a double boiler setup--a small jar in hot water--dip the base and grease grooves into the melted lube and then run it through the sizer. It is a push through design, and does great. Best of all, it is a nose first design--the punch pushes the nullet through nose first.

Incidentally, I also cast .44 bullets, for a Model 29, and size them to .430. I lube with Javelina Alox and load them on 8.5 of Unique.

The best lubrisizer you can get is the Magma Engineering sizer, which is actually the Star lubrisizer. Install the die, adjust once on installation, load with lube and go for it! You can size a hundred bullets in about 5 minutes or less, and it is also a nose-first design.
Old January 20, 2011, 12:04 PM   #6
longfellow

response

Powderman,
I agree. I get the Lee sizers all in .430 and hone out to various diameters in .0005 increments to find the best size for my gun. I just don't like how the tumble lube grooves look on the .435 wadcutters when I go down to .431 range. I didn't know when I bought the mold that I wouldn't need to be in the .435 range and now that I do, I want a mold that drops bullets closed (or better yet exactly on) the diameter that I finally settled on (.4315).
Ed

I think I have a swap partner now anyway.