The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 27, 2015, 11:06 AM   #26
Heavy Metal 1

I have a hard enough time keeping my pants up with one gun let alone extra mags. How are you holding your drawers up?
Old December 27, 2015, 11:32 AM   #27
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Metal
I have a hard enough time keeping my pants up with one gun let alone extra mags. How are you holding your drawers
Ever heard of a belt? With my wallet, keys, knife, and phone, it already weighs me down a bit. When I add my gun and spare mags, it would drop my pants down to my ankles in a heartbeat. Even if you wear tight pants, you risk popping a button and having your pants drop. I've gotten used to wearing a belts so it's no big deal.
Old December 27, 2015, 11:50 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

After I specifically warned to stay on the OP's topic and not discuss the gun fight issue, some people decided to continue with their opinion about San Bernadino, you only need a few rounds and other irrelevant posts.

These have been deleted and infractions issued.
Old December 29, 2015, 08:38 AM   #29
BCGlocker

I EDC a Glock 23 with 2-3 Glock 22 magazines as spare.
Texas LTC Instructor
Old December 29, 2015, 08:54 AM   #30
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Metal
I have a hard enough time keeping my pants up with one gun let alone extra mags. How are you holding your drawers
Ever heard of a belt? With my wallet, keys, knife, and phone, it already weighs me down a bit. When I add my gun and spare mags, it would drop my pants down to my ankles in a heartbeat. Even if you wear tight pants, you risk popping a button and having your pants drop. I've gotten used to wearing a belts so it's no big deal.
Its a common mistake, and one that is not talked about. If one is CHLing,one needs a good a true pistol belt. These are stiff belts, often double hide (Beltmen) or having kydex inserts (CompTac and I think Crossbreed for example). They distribute the weight, prevent leaning of the belt etc. I'd highly advise you check one at and note further there are a variety of styles including business/business casual types. There are several manufacturers and a check of the search function for threads on that should be helpful.

To the topic directly, I have an M&Pc with a full size M&P spare mag. It helps balance the weight and the sightline (I'm Hawaiian shirt mafia most of the time in Texas). Like another poster, I've taken my IDPA rig to heart with a CompTac mag thats the same except for increased tension.

However, when I carried 1911, Toolman made a tool holster that was perfect. one could wear it OC with others not seeing it was holding a mag, if desired.

Hope this helps.
Old January 3, 2016, 06:58 AM   #31
Brit

The perfect solution, for daily carry of heavy stuff.

Good suspenders (Brits say braces) good belt. Wilderness Store frequent flier 1.5" Instructor belt.

Carries Glock 19 4th gen, spare 17 round magazine a good flashlight, lock blade knife. Cell phone, Blue Ant ear piece.
Old January 3, 2016, 07:25 AM   #32
Gunnut17

I recall a picture ad in a gun magazine years ago that seemed to depict a holder for five 1911 mags for CCW...

Realistically, though, unless you have a single stack gun like a 1911, I can't imagine anything more than maybe a single spare mag being at all pragmatic.
Old January 3, 2016, 08:22 PM   #33
Nanuk

After wearing a 20 lb gun belt for 3 decades I wear a Galco Shoulder rig whenever possible. That carries 2 extra mags with no weight on my hips/belt.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 6, 2016, 11:11 AM   #34
K_Mac

I almost always carry an SR9c inside the waistband (10+1), appendix carry strong side. I occasionally carry an extra 17 rnd magazine in a Remora IWB mag holder weak side. When I pocket carry my LCP, I pocket carry a spare mag in the same type holder. It works well for me.
Old January 6, 2016, 01:55 PM   #35
Grant D

I carry a S&W J frame on my left hip and a Ruger LCP in my left rear pocket, with a spare mag for LCP, and speed strip for the J frame in the watch pocket of my wranglers, which is on the right side.

And that's with a good pistol belt, and Perry suspenders to hold it all up.

Now I actually wear the suspenders even when I'm not carrying any weapons.

I guess it's an old guy thing! lol
Old January 6, 2016, 04:38 PM   #36
Jim243

Quote:
Now I actually wear the suspenders even when I'm not carrying any weapons.
I guess it's an old guy thing! lol
LOL, not necessarily and old guy thing, I have been wearing suspenders for over 20 years now.

Keep those mags full and stay safe.
Jim

Quote:
I can't imagine anything more than maybe a single spare mag being at all pragmatic.
I carry 3, one in the gun and two on the belt. A lot lighter than carrying a rifle around. (LOL)
Old January 7, 2016, 01:36 AM   #37
Brit

Nanuk.

The great thing about a under off arm carry of a fighting pistol.

If you have a duty as an extra hand in some form of protection detail, wearing a jacket, standing with your arms folded, you can have a full grip of your pistol. And not standing out at all.

Same thing sitting in a vehicle.
Old January 8, 2016, 07:20 AM   #38
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky
I am looking into carrying my 2 spare magazines for my CCW pistol. I am not necessarily looking into this because I think I will need them.

Right now, my primary carry gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 full size. The weight doesn't really bother me, just having the extra weight on one side. I was thinking of getting a dual magazine holder and putting it on the other side of my belt.

Does anyone do this, and if so does it help offset that weight on one side feeling?
Absolutely. The odds of my actually needing to reload my gun in the middle of a gunfight is exceptionally small. The odds of my wanting my pants to be comfortable is exceptionally high.
Old January 29, 2016, 08:05 PM   #39
Dusty Rivers

I didn't, now I do

I didn't carry an extra mag. Then I realized two things. Well made Autos don't have a high rate of failure, it is usually the mag. The improbability of me needing an extra mag is akin to the probability of me needing a CCW. So if I do one, I should probably do the other. It gives me coverage for a mag failure, and extra rounds, god forbid.

I now carry an extra mag weak side in a horizontal mag pouch. You can't even tell it is on your belt.

http://www.shtfgear.com/products/hor...ant=2440370179
Old January 29, 2016, 09:08 PM   #40
9x45

Safariland horizontal,

Old January 30, 2016, 01:29 AM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

uploadfromtaptalk1454134999670.jpg

Here is my setup with where and how I have my spare 20 round magazine.
Old January 30, 2016, 09:45 AM   #42
Kevin Rohrer

I get tired of having so much stuff on my belt that it pulls down too much, so I stick with one mag and a lightweight, scabbard-style holster. Trying to balance weight is not a concern. Keeping my pants up is.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old January 30, 2016, 02:04 PM   #43
45Gunner

Since my last post in this topic, I have amassed a lot of range time practicing with other guns with higher ammo capacity. After a lot of soul searching and several thousand rounds of ammo sent downrange, I am back to my old standard, the 1911. I would never ever consider carrying any other way than condition one, 8 in the mag and one in the tube. My dual mag carrier gives me another 16 rounds. And I made the decision that on those days/nights when I attend a venue that could be a "target of opportunity" for the BG's, I will take two dual mag carriers with me. If I can't complete the job with all of that, than I figure I should have had a small army with me.

I bounced this off a buddy of mine that is a detective in one of the worst crime areas of South Florida. He carries a 1911 with a dual mag carrier, a small Colt .357 mag wheel gun inside his waistband, and a .380 pocket Mustang in his pant pocket. Oh, and he has a speed strip and an extra .380 magazine in his other pocket.

So then I thought, let me ask my son what he carries as he is a deputy sheriff. He packs a Glock .40 as a duty weapon with two spare magazines on his person. Extra mags in his cruiser. He also has a small Glock .40 under his vest. Apparently the larger Glock magazine will fit into the smaller one (but not flush).
He also carries a pocket gun in his rear back pocket and to top it off, a Glock 17 between the front seat and the center console.

So I guess the conclusion drawn here has to be whatever makes you happy.
NRA Life Member
Old January 31, 2016, 11:01 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I bounced this off a buddy of mine that is a detective in one of the worst crime areas of South Florida. He carries a 1911 with a dual mag carrier, a small Colt .357 mag wheel gun inside his waistband, and a .380 pocket Mustang in his pant pocket. Oh, and he has a speed strip and an extra .380 magazine in his other pocket.
My neck of the woods! What part?
Old January 31, 2016, 09:15 PM   #45
NateKirk

I usually don't carry extra mags except when I'm at work, however I probably should start carrying them more often

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old January 31, 2016, 09:34 PM   #46
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Attachment 101049

That holster position looks scary.

But to answer everyone, I have since started carrying 2 extra magazines plus the one in my M&P.

When I carry my Shield it's just 2 total because I do not have a third.. yet.
Old February 1, 2016, 12:24 AM   #47
drobs

Quote:
Quote:

3 guns plus 3 mags and a speed strip! The real question is how does he keep his pants from falling down?
Old February 1, 2016, 02:56 PM   #48
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Just like with any position. If you squeeze the trigger, it'll go bang. As it should.
Old February 1, 2016, 09:07 PM   #49
Sharkbite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Attachment 101049

Standard Appendix IWB. It's gaining a lot of popularity amongst the high-end trainers. Not for the novice gun handeler, but for someone that has put in the time to educate his trigger finger during the draw and reholster, there are some serious benefits to CCW
Old February 2, 2016, 01:04 PM   #50
45Gunner

Quote:
Riviera Beach

And I often wondered how he keeps his pants up, also.
NRA Life Member