The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Super-Dave

$15.00 shotgun paint job

I used the above paint from walmart. I put on 3 coats of the rustoleum.
Then I put on 3 coats of the camo. I completely dissasembled the mossberg and also did the inside of the reciever. I waited 2 hours each in bewteen coats. The directions say to wait for 7 days for the paint to settle and become chip free which I did. I fired 100 rounds today and took it apart and cleaned it.

The paint job is still holding fine.
I could not afford to send it off and get a $300.00 duracoating.

I am now ready for some trap shooting.

Last edited by Super-Dave; February 23, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old February 23, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Creature

I would be interested to see this shotgun again from time to time, at regular intervals...to see how the paint stands up to wear. Provided it gets used regularly and isnt just a locker queen.
Old February 23, 2008, 08:03 PM   #3
kevinwas

looks good.
Old February 23, 2008, 10:48 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

While I am pretty satisfied with the factory mossberg black/blue finish I am liking the way that turned out... My concern is that I have 3 materials to coat... metal (barrel is steel and receiver alloy), forestock is wood (not a real hard wood) and poly rear stock... I would bake mine at 150-175 for additional durability... One question is why worry about inside receiver? I would think it is gonna be a gumming concern... so how do you think it is gonna hold up overall?
Brent
Old February 24, 2008, 11:45 AM   #5
LouPran

Quote:
I am now ready for some trap shooting.
Nice paint job ! But that's one crazy looking Trap shooting gun!

I hope you can shoot!

Old February 24, 2008, 12:44 PM   #6
bswiv

What is that on the muzzle?????
Old February 24, 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
RevolverLover

Quote:
What is that on the muzzle?????
Its Mossberg's breaching barrel.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old February 24, 2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Ruger4570

Well it sure looks like a dedicated Trap gun to me. No cumbersome shoulder stock to fool with, the ability to breech the doors at the clubhouse in case no one is there and the perfect balance between the hands. It has to be a Trap shooter dream gun.
Old February 25, 2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Super-Dave

Exactly my plans.

Go in at night breach myself in and then do some night trap shooting with pigeons I had painted with that glow in the dark spray paint.

Bring along a few beers and it it would be like those "cosmo bowling" nights at the bowling alley.

Cosmo trap night.

Even better bring some black lights and have the pigeons painted that flourecent yellow, orange, white and green.
Old February 25, 2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Super-Dave

Actually this particular shotgun is for use in my "Goblin Survival Kit"

I am building a "Goblins Survival kit" because I was absolutely discussted and amazed at what happend during hurricane Katrina.

Ghetto Goblins shall not infest my home/neighborhood in the next crisis!

I plan on having enough supplies and ammunition that I could build my own boat with just those green plastic ammo boxes alone. (might need to use some duct tape as well though)
Old February 25, 2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Edward429451

Looks good. I did mine awhile back. All it needs now is subdued a little. Lightly spray some black paint fron 12" or more away so it'll speckle it. Practice on cardboard to get the density you want.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:40 AM   #12
phoglund

If you want Duracoat without great cost their basic kit is $50 and has everything you need to do 1 - 4 firearms. It's easy to do and turns out real nice with no baking at all. The coating also works on wood, metal, and plastics.
Old February 25, 2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Super-Dave

The reason I did this to my shotgun was it was really a trial run. I wanted to do my hunting shotgun but was afraid I would mess it up. So the goblin shotgun was used for practice.

I thought about duracoat but I did not have a paint sprayer. Also since I plan on using it on my hunting shotgun, I figured I would need to change the camo pattern bassed on where I was going and when I was hunting.

With the spray paint, "No big deal" I can do a camo job based on the season and location of the hunt. Cost $15.00. It is much more expensive and time consuming to do with duracoat.

This woodland color is okay for hunting in florida this winter. Next winter I hope to go to alaska and do some bear hunting (maybe bag a "yeti" instead).
I will have the gun painted white camo then.

All in all if you screw it up It can be removed with some gun oil, tooth brush and some serious scrubbing.

Last edited by Super-Dave; February 25, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old February 29, 2008, 10:41 AM   #14
wakerider017

Why did you need black paint when the gun is already black?
Old February 29, 2008, 11:23 AM   #15
YukonKid

kind of reminds me of the rifles in "shooter"

i would have gone with a fern pattern

looks good.

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 29, 2008, 11:55 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

wakerider... the only thing "matte" in mossberg finish is parkerized "marineccote". While my gun is a basic "goblin critter gitter" it ain't dull. The black aluminum receiver is glossy and the 2o year old semi less than perfect bluing else where is still kinda shiny... I would think that camo paint may look jist a touch meaner to a ghetto goblin than mine in black... After the storm camo is not needed but if you refrain from wasting one round on a goblin to let him warn his buddies to avoid "trick or treating" at your house is a savings... Another post hurricane tactic is to have a big enuff generator to run a cord to yer neighbors homes... They become VERY low cost security and I hope they remember the lessons next time... We put up barricades on the street to protect their cords and it was a pretty well policed street in a chitty neighborhood in Daytona...

Brent
Old February 29, 2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

And, you can take it off with mineral spirits.
Old March 1, 2008, 12:56 AM   #18
Sgt.Fathead

Looks good to me and, this not a knock, reminds me of the old GI Joe camo patterns from the 1970s!
Old March 3, 2008, 02:27 AM   #19
predator86

for those that want to see how the paint holds up-

it holds up fine, i have painted vehicles, engines, boats and motorcycles with that paint, my grandpa has a side by side that he painted in the 60's that is also holding up just fine.....i have no qualms with painting a gun with spray paint.
Old March 3, 2008, 03:50 AM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Avoiding using expressions involving "breach myself" when talking about tools with teeth on the end. It just ain't right.

The paint will hold up about as well as most of y'all expect. So long as the gun isn't banged on things, the paint will be fine. However, it will wear around the pump from the pump motion (or may).

Have you seen the tan painted guns in Iraq. They are speckled from where the paint has been chipped off or scratched from contact with things. Aside from revealing the darker underneath bluing or parkerizing, the speckling actually helps break up the outline of the gun. So damage to the paint can be beneficial optically.

However, it can be updated, repaired, or otherwise modified very cheaply. He didn't use all $15 of paint. Those can should be about 95+% full still.
Old March 3, 2008, 07:29 AM   #21
Super-Dave

That is not black flat paint. It is really a dark brown. If you look at it in the photo it looks like it is black but it is really dark brown.

I keep a good coat of oil on the magazine tube and inside of the forearm tube. So far nothing has scraped off. Just make sure it is always well lubricated.
Old March 3, 2008, 07:32 AM   #22
Super-Dave

The tips I have based on doing this.

1) If you do not like the camo job, paint it green again a try again.
( I did not like the first camo job so I did a light coat of green and two hours latter tried again.)

2) Strip the gun and wash the parts in a degreaser before you start painting.
(I took the shotgun apart and took a shower with it and used dawn dish detergent to degrease it.)

3) After drying it, (do not touch with hands ) I used disposable latex gloves to handle the parts while spraypainting it. It gets finger prints real easily that stick in the paint.

4) Always spray in very very fine light coats. If you do not it will bubble or run.

5) Spray each part seperately for the green. For the camo stripes assemble the barrel to the reciever and do them simultaneously. Then take the barrel off of the reciever and follow the strip around the barrel and the magazine tube.(This gets cohesive stripes that go completly under and around the barrel and magazine tube)

6) Take your time, spray it about 6-8 inches away in a fine mist. Take your time.

7) Wait atlleast 1.5-2 hours in bewtwen coats. Do not tuch untill atleast 2 hours.

8) Probably the most important step after this is to leave it dissasembled and wait the full 7 days before reasembly.

9) Before final assembly, use lots of lube on the magazine tube and inside of the forearm before completing assembly and using the shotgun.
Old March 3, 2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Super-Dave

"Looks good to me and, this not a knock, reminds me of the old GI Joe camo patterns from the 1970s!"

I did this pattern because the strips help break up the long straight barrel outline.

Also I am too poor to afford decent camoflauge. All I have are old USMC woodland camoflauge uniforms I have left of from my service. I was trying to match it to that camo.
Old March 9, 2008, 09:57 AM   #24
Rustynuts

Looks good to me too. The color combo works great. Only comments I have are maybe the "too" straight pattern stripes on the receiver area? The barrel and grip area looks more random and will blend in better.
Old March 9, 2008, 05:52 PM   #25
stormyone

What kind of fore-arm grip is that? I'd like that on my 870.