The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 17, 2005, 02:30 PM   #1
dave_in_delaware

BDU's: Am I soon-to-be guilty...

of being a "mall ninja" or something of that nature?

I've been considering getting a pair of black DBU's for wearing to the range, but also to work. We have to dress "business casual" and I usually wear "regular" black dress pants (like khaki's) to work. They're all too old and big on me now (lost weight). I thought getting a pair of black BDU's would be a versatile idea, both for the range (carrying mags, etc. - I don't have a range bag yet) AND going to work (just a desk job). I've heard that those BDU pants are very comfortable. Would a pair of black BDU's w/ some comfy black loafers, and a nice polo shirt (w/ buttons at neck) give me mall ninja or gun store commando status for when I'm at work? I don't WANT to do that, but was just considering spending my money on a pair of pants that can serve more than one function. And no, I won't be wearing any armed service T-shirts w/ my pants.

Any ideas out there? Anyone else wear BDU's to an office job? Ever hear comments, or think your bosses wouldn't approve of such attire? Thanks for your input.

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build

Last edited by dave_in_delaware; October 17, 2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old October 17, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
noone

I personally dont wear any bdu's, but if I did I wouldnt give a flying f@#$ what anyone thought. If they are comfortable and work for ya, go for it.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:23 PM   #3
yorec

A uniform does not a mall nija make... Mostly it's lack of abililty and an attitude set to make up the difference.

BDUs are all that, wear 'em and feel camoflauged - some folks will think you're a mall ninja and only you'll know the truth.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:54 PM   #4
sendec

I too am in a business casual environment, sorta, though I am almost expected to wear BDUs. Because I guess cargo pants are in style, well selected and maintained BDUs can darn near fit in.

"Well selected" means that you avoid the 100% cotton and ripstop ones as they fade most dramatically, which is unfortunate because they seem more comfy than the poly cotton blends.

The there are the 5.11s that are almost mandatory in the LE field, though I'm not sure they do anything better than plain BDUs, especially at the price.

Three pants that I think may be out of production that never got the attention they deserved from the gun-fighting crowd are the Dockers Mobile Pants, the Dockers utility pants with cargo pockets, and the Carhartt Tool Pants. If you find any of these they are worth checking out. The Carhartts are probably pushinng it for business casual, but they are super range pants.
Old October 17, 2005, 05:03 PM   #5
wyrdone

Sitting here in a pair of well faded Black BDU's. Then again I'm a server jockey & developer herder by trade. I don't feel out of place in my BDU's in the server room or a meeting room with other geeks.

They are comfy and I can fit a few tools I regularly use in the pockets (Ethernet checker, screwdriver, etc.)
CZ-50
CVA Bobcat .50Cal Blackpower
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (1942)
Marlin 336 .30-30 Lever Action
Yugo SKS 59/66
CZ-52
Bulgarian Makarov
Swiss K-31
Rock Island 1911A1

Near Future (hopefully):
M1 Garand
CZ-75
Old October 17, 2005, 09:28 PM   #6
hksigwalther

I have. BDUs (and other cargo-type pants) IMO are some of the most confortable pants I've ever worn. The side pockets are great as I put my wallet and phone there (one each side). Much more comfortable to sit.
Old October 18, 2005, 03:21 PM   #7
hso

BDUs are not "business casual" nor are cargo pants. If your employer has a dress code that they enforce then look around you, especially at the next level up in the food chain, to see whats expected. If you don't see some sort of cargo pants then you shouldn't consider BDUs to be acceptable either.

In my business we've got field work and office work. Some field clothes are seen around the office, but the senior folks are seen in "Dockers" and polo shirts more than suites and ties.

Leave the play clothes for play time if you think your job warrants a different wardrobe.
Old October 18, 2005, 04:15 PM   #8
saands

+1 for looking carefully what the next level up is wearing. Unless you are happy staying in your current job with your current level of work, responsibilities and rewards, then you DO have to give a flying ---- about what you wear! If you are happy with your current place, then do whatever rocks your boat. If your boss is seen as successful by his peers and managers and he wears BDUs then you have a green light ... otherwise, careers are hard enough without putting unnecessary barriers in the way.

Saands
Old October 18, 2005, 06:14 PM   #9
stevewiz

I wear the non camo versions everywhere. Try 511 tactical, some great pants indeed. Lots of pockets and you can easily rig them up for whatever you want.

Camo though.. no. Why? I have the stuff but that's only because i think the urban pattern looks awesome.
Old October 18, 2005, 10:10 PM   #10
DT Guy

The only thing I EVER wear is khaki or navy proppers-the poly/cotton kind.

Don't look too 'Tactikle' and wear like iron, plus they adjust for 'before or after pizza' sized me.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old October 18, 2005, 10:22 PM   #11
Rifter

I wear BDU's all the time, pretty much literally. I have Black, Tan, Navy, a few pairs of Woodland camo and just ordered some in urban camo and Midnight camo. They are some of the longest lasting clothes i own and i dont give a damn what anybody thinks about it. But i agree with the above about makeing sure cargo's are acceptable for work.
Old October 24, 2005, 08:07 AM   #12
VaughnT

I agree that you should strive to match what the bosses wear, and not worry about if you can wear them at the range. Professionalism is important, and appearances do matter. If your boss and his boss are sporting slacks and three-button polos, do likewise.

FWIW, Cabelas offers a wide selection of business-causal trousers that are very durable and look good. Lately, they're my one-stop shopping center.

BDU's will never look like anything except what they are.
Old October 27, 2005, 09:17 PM   #13
WhiteFeather93

I have a one pair of BDU pants and a shirt. IT is the most comfortable clothes I own. I use them for hunting, firehouse/EMS stuff and even just to laze around. They were built for versitility and they do the job great! Anyone who calls you a mall ninja has a very small ---- and just needs to express his need for power. As far as work goes, yeah watch it. People don't seem to understand that companies may have casual or no dress code, but a well dress employee rarely gets fired and rarely remains just an employee for long.

P.S. yeah mine are jungle camo, but I want a few pairs of each!
Old October 29, 2005, 01:34 PM   #14
gc70

"Business casual" is a relative term. Where I work, it means no coat or tie and a shirt color other than white.
Old October 30, 2005, 08:02 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

outta the Army in '74

One can never be over-dressed, but one can most certainly be under-dressed, ay?

Save the BDU's (why are clothes alphabetized?) for the range.
Old October 30, 2005, 10:37 AM   #16
PROSOUTH

I work for the Sheriff's Dept and our class B uniform for special assignments is a Polo shirt with our embroidered badge logo and 511 pants, all regular shift duty and court we wear a class A uniform.

I like the 511 pants, they wear good and are very comfortable. They also look better than BDUs IMHO, just enough to lend a little professionalism to casual dress.
something. What I can do, I should,
and with the help of God, I WILL !
United, we make one Helluva Flame!
“LET’S ROLL !”
Old October 31, 2005, 10:08 PM   #17
StormTrooper

Ithink it was mentioned by Stevewiz and I'll second it. The 5.11 tactical pants are a good choice. They are not exactly the "Battle Dress" as typical BDU's are but very functional none the less, can be rigged up for many options and fit a little better into the normal street wear category. those and your typical polo or button shirt make for what I think you are intending to achieve.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:54 PM   #18
Shot_24

Can't wear cammo scrubs but I do wear desert cammo lead in the Cath-Lab. Does that make me a hospital ninja?
Old November 1, 2005, 06:52 AM   #19
Foxman

If you like it wear it, so long as you know your not a mall ninja A£$%%^h$le it doesnt matter what the passers by think. I'm a big believer that A***les look like what they are, because of what they are, not just by wearing a pair of pants.
Old November 1, 2005, 07:20 AM   #20
WhiskeyMike

I cut the legs off of my issued DCUs and wear them as shorts. The wife hates it but they were free and make comfortable shorts. Does this make me a tacky Mall Ninja?

WM
Old November 1, 2005, 09:18 PM   #21
dave_in_delaware

Well, thanks to my fiancee, I'm the proud owner of 2 pairs of Rothco Ultra Force BDU pants ("official EMT trouser"), bought at the local farmer's market at an Army-Navy type of store. I got the all-black version (no camo for me). 8 pockets (hip, butt, thigh, ankle). Machine wash and dry. Drawstring leg. 65% polyester + 35% cotton. They fit well, and are quite comfortable.

Im going to wear them to work this Friday, when it's a bit more "casual." People wear jeans, so BDU's should be ok I would think. I'm gonna talk to my supervisor, to see what the VP might think, about BDU's on other days. I'm hoping the President/Owner won't care, since he has an impressive gun collection at his house. He has a few "coffee table glass cases" with about 8 handguns each. Historic firearms. Drooooool. We'll see what happens.

1. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (1110 rnds as of 06/18/05)
2. Springfield Armory XD-9 sub-compact (w/ blue & silver GK, gift for fiancee)
3. Ithaca Gun Company Model 37 12ga shotgun (from Grandfather)
4. Future: AR-15 build
Old November 1, 2005, 10:13 PM   #22
Shot_24

Wow why so angry Foxman? They are jokes. (well I do wear cammo lead.)
Don't see why the need for profanity.
By the way what do these stand for?

A£$%%^h$le
A***les
Old November 2, 2005, 07:48 PM   #23
Mannlicher

yeah, you will look like a mall ninja or some kind of wannabe. personally, I dont want anyone at work to even suspect I like/ have/ use guns.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 4, 2005, 06:19 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

yeah

Except for my purple Caspian shirt with the big pink 1911 both front and back........
Old November 6, 2005, 04:32 AM   #25
Foxman

Shot 24, not angry just fed up with people being categorised by choosing to wear what are good long lasting clothes and the sight of cammo gear sends some members of the public crazy ringing police etc, we are getting into a ever dafter society ,where freedom is being eroded daily, particularly for shooters/ hunters.
The grafics and abbreviations stand for what another member of these forums, very poetically called a "hinderpipe" I must bow to his superior grammatical invention!!