The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 13, 2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Shorts

Gun belts and hip bones

When I carry after a few hours of my gun on my hips, my offside hipbone is killing me from the pressure of my belt. I wear both lowrise and regular fit jeans. I started wearing regular fit during carry because it allowed for my belt to be worn a little more above my hipbones or at least not have direct pressure on there to rub a sore spot. Plus it gives me a little advantage for concealement as the gun is held higher and won't poke out the bottom of my jackets.

I realize this might be more of a problem for ladies than for guys because of simple anatomy. But is there a fix? I recall seeing a "ladies belt" which was just curved instead of straight around like regular bekts.

Has anyone had similar issues? Pax, what say you? I know you've got experience with this female stuff
Old November 13, 2005, 07:21 PM   #2
L-2

It's not just a women's thing. I wear the full Batman belt every work day and my hip bones get pretty sore by the end of the day. For off-duty, I occasionally wear a curved Galco CB-3 belt. The curve doesn't help the sore-hip-bone problem for me though. The curve just makes for a better-looking belt, with no wrinkles, as all my belts develop a curvature upon break-in anyway.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp...&CatalogID=254
Unfortunately, the belt sizes start at size 30, and then there's the $107 msrp. Accordingly, this may not be the best belt for you. A tight fitting semi-stiff nylon belt is generally my favorite, like a Wilderness Products instructor belt. See: http://thewilderness.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3
for more info. It looks as if the narrower Wilderness Prods. belt sizes start at 24!
'hope this helps more than hinders.

Last edited by L-2; January 28, 2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old November 13, 2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Harley Quinn

Belts and suspenders

Suspenders help but they need to approved by your dept.

I noticed in the movie Jarhead the commanding officer was wearing a suspendered belt and it looked pretty good. Blue BDUs give you the chance to wear that way but not normal duty gear.

Officers should have a right to wear a bdu type outfit (and they do) when working call ups and swat situations.

They use to wear a shoulder strap but it is a good hand hold for the suspect if they want to resist.

Harley
Old November 13, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4
L-2

Suspenders. I know, but they're not part of our uniform. What I haven't tried is a softer, Uncle Mike's type of belt. I imagine the softness molds around the waist better and, more evenly, distributes the weight.

Anyway, this thread is for "Shorts", not me. Harley's comments suggests another alternative, however, for Ms. "Shorts". Instead of suspenders, perhaps a shoulder holster when the hips are just too sore that day.

Last edited by L-2; January 28, 2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old November 13, 2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Harley Quinn

Shorts, now that is cool

Funny when I was on in the 60's and 70's they made us use the same
hand-gun. But we could have different holsters, and wear them in different places.

Now they allow all sorts of pistol's and they want you to wear your pistol in a certain type of holster... And it is in a high ride hip. I am surprised they don't make everyone shoot right handed.

They did in the Corps no Lefties. Same way in Japan no lefties. I don't know if that is the way it is now.

Ms. Shorts Hmmm Nice. Shorts and a vest, well it might help to offset the heat in the upper torso...

Harley
Old November 14, 2005, 08:20 PM   #6
kymasabe

No lefties in most of Asia and the Middle East is a hygeine thing as it's considered the dirty hand. Lack of toilet paper results in many "dirty" left hands, thus, everyone is right handed.
Old November 14, 2005, 09:24 PM   #7
sendec

The babes have it made with the curved belts and Sally Brownes, but you really, really have to do a lot of experimentation to get a rig to fit right. Sciatic pain can also be a problem from pressure directly on the nerve.

There is one somewhat goofy option, and that is to pad the sore area with a square pot holder. Back when i was skinny I kept one in my battlebag for the extra painful days.
Old November 15, 2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Shorts

L-2, thanks for heads up about it not being only a woman thing. My leather belts (the only kind I ever wear), always end up curved after they break in, which is fine. But even with that curve, they're still bugging my hips. And you know, it isn't even really a raw spot on the bone bone, but sore in general. Its odd.

Anyhow, in the meantime I try to keep my belt hiked up a bit lol Though I feel like grandpa, always tugging on my belt and pants