The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 4, 2004, 05:53 PM   #1
YosemiteSam357

Scope for 100-600 yards?

I'm looking for a good quality scope for 100 to 300 yards, with the occassional 600 yarder thrown in, and have narrowed it down to three choices. I'm open to others, but only if they blow away what I'm currently looking at. My current picks are:

Weaver T-6, fixed 6x42mm light dot reticle, about $250 (slightly used).
SWFA Super Sniper, fixed 10x42mm, mil-dot, $300.
Leupold M8 fixed 6x42mm, duplex, $400.

Can anyone provide comparisons or real world experience with any of these choices? They all receive good reviews, but then, most reviews you read are positive.

I'm concerned that 6x is not going to be enough scope at 600 yards. I'm also concerned that 10x is going to be too much at 100 yards. I'd prefer to stay away from variable power scopes due to the price and internal complexity.

The Weaver is "used", but was never mounted on a rifle. It's about $350 new. The SWFA gets lots of praise from the sniper guys, but since it was originally designed by/for Tasco it's also subject to a lot of snobbery. On paper it appears to be the most scope for the money. All of the above choices are adjustable for paralax, either by an A/O or rear-of-scope adjustment in the case of the SWFA.

I want a scope I'm not going to outgrow in a season, and that I can transfer to a better rifle in the future. I'm currently using a Bushnell "Banner" in 3-9x so just about anything is an upgrade (my reticle obscures the bullseye at 100 yards).

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Last edited by YosemiteSam357; June 4, 2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old June 7, 2004, 11:35 AM   #2
YosemiteSam357

Anyone???
Old June 7, 2004, 03:44 PM   #3
k in AR

Sam,

Now this is just my humble opinion, but...
100 to 600..... 6 power, I can't do it but I do know that for me, after more years than I want to admit, I would choose the following...

First, of your choices go Leupold.
Second, get one of the fine reticles, not a standard or heavy.
Finally, get some power, at 600 yards I would want a 16 minimun.
Question, why not a variable?
But then you never stated just what kind of shooting you are doing.
If it is target, a Leupold 35 power wouldn't be out of the question. Still more realistically a 6x18 or 6x20 or even an "old" 12x M-8. Hunting your 200 to 300 yards could be covered by almost any power or reticle (according to your eyes!).

Short version, you have asked a loaded question. Need more info but even then no one here can see thru your eyes. So even our best guess can only be that, a guess. Good luck and enjoy a fine MOA shooting day.
Old June 7, 2004, 04:30 PM   #4
Watch-Six

I would recommend a Leupold variable Vari-X III in 4.5-14x with an AO. It is a great all around scope. The 3.5-10x is also a winner, but the higher 14x power can be useful. Watch-Six
Old June 8, 2004, 12:33 PM   #5
YosemiteSam357

Thanks for the replies.

All I can say is, subject (choosing a scope) is at least as confusing as choosing a rifle/shotgun/pistol/caliber/whatever. And it is a world of conflicting opinions.

Basically, I'm just getting into "accuracy" shooting with a rifle. I've done pistol (defensive, target) and shotgun (trap, 5-stand) for years. I'm currently shooting a Handi-Rifle in .223 outfitted with a Bushnell "Banner" 3-9x variable scope, and am doing "ok" with it. I want to get a better scope, then as my skill improves, upgrade the rifle itself, and I'd prefer to have this new scope be good enough to migrate to the new rifle.

I'm not really into the "benchrest" thing (I don't have $5K to drop on equipment), and don't have my sights set on "serious" competition, but I do frequent a range that has weekly 600 yard "fun shoots", which I might like to participate in. They also have 100-300 yard courses of fire, which I will use more regularly, on my own, to see what kind of groups I can get, or basically how accurate I can be. (Of all the benchrest categories, Hunter Rifle and "shooting for points" interests me more than trying for caliber-width 5 shot groups, mainly because I know I'll never be able to get 5 shots into a .25" hole, regardless of yardage...)

For scopes, in talking with many people and reading everything I can get my hands on, I'm getting conflicting info. Some tell me that the least magnification you can get away with is the best, as it will reduce mirage and distort less than higher magnification. Others tell me that I absolutely, positively don't want less than 10x, and that quality optics will not distort at shorter distances (eg, a 10x at 100 yards will still provide a crisp image of the bull).

I'd been steering away from variable power as they add considerably to the cost, and I'm the type that likes as little complexity as possible. I'm finding much nicer fixed power scopes than variable at a given price point.

-- Sam
Old June 8, 2004, 03:53 PM   #6
one eye

I started looking at scopes for my Rem XP-100 about 6 months ago. I called the Leopold people. They didn't have a clue. Couldn't help at all. If the makers of scopes can't help it sure makes you wonder who can. Good luck.
Old June 8, 2004, 04:35 PM   #7
fix

Fixed 6x is a good choice for what you want to do. 4x if you eliminate the 600 yd shoot. 6x will give good all around performance from about 50-500 yds. 600 yds is a bit of a stretch for me, but that's me. It will be a bit much inside 50, but that's the drawback of a fixed power scope. I have the Leupold you speak of, with target knobs. Planning to pick up another with a mil dot reticle soon.
Old June 10, 2004, 05:48 PM   #8
ArmaLube

Chuck Hawks has authored many interesting and informative articles. You might enjoy his writings relating to Scopes, Sights, and Sighting In at: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2d.rifles.htm.

For more on scopes, try these places:

http://muelleroptics.com/reviews1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atla...820/scopes.txt
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/ChoosingScope.asp
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/scope.html

Survive:

http://www.savvysurvivor.com/basic/rifle.htm
Old June 10, 2004, 05:54 PM   #9
YosemiteSam357

Thanks, ArmaLube, for your comments in this topic and the other one I started!

-- Sam
Old June 15, 2004, 09:41 AM   #10
ArmaLube

Sam,

You are, of course, very welcome.

Bob