The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Mike / Tx

It's hard to beat a new mold...

I received two new MP molds on Tuesday, and whetted them both righteously yesterday afternoon. I got the 358-640 and the 452-200, both with all available pin sets. I ran a full pot from my Lee 4-20 through each of them with hardly a hiccup.

The hiccups were adjusting to the difference between the 200 and the 158gr cavities. Yep I made a minor over pour, a time or two, if you want to call it that. I am just used to pouring things that have a minimum of 220grs. I haven't waded through them all yet for culls, but made it through about 1/3 of the 45's and have only pulled half a dozen or so. I am sure from the looks they were from the initial pours as there was wrinkles and fill out issues on the noses. Once I got the molds good and warm they were falling out like tic tacs from an open box.

Can't do pictures right now but might be able to get some up this afternoon. Beagle has already put up probably a MUCH better pic than I can take of the 358's. His are probably a bit prettier than mine also simply due to the alloy used.

I had a box of 1.75/1.75/ 96.5 I blended up a while back. It never seemed to get whee I wanted it to hardness wise. I decided it might be good for these and before I started loading it in the pot I checked it again for hardness and it was right where I had hoped it would be in the beginning. I guess the test samples were a bit skewed, but I will test some of the culls today and see where they are for comparrison.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Beagle333

I didn't have many fill-out issues, only the sticking to one side. But when I upped the alloy temp and sped up the casting, that went away. The stuff I read from other users who posted their Group Buy Results really helped.
But they definitely were right about having to cast fast.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
LAH

I'd like to see some pics of the 45-200. I might need one of those moulds.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

Well since I cannot manage to get a decent picture with my camera, I can at least point you to the discussion on the 452-200 below.

Mihec 452-200 Cramer HP - great mold

I did find out that the alloy I poured these with, 1.75/1.75/96.5 didn't expand at 10yds in the bucket of dirt I have been using to test with. I had them loaded over 5.5grs of Salut or the Russian Unique which ever you want to call it by.

That really isn't a bad thing as they did penetrate almost to the bottom of the bucket with it laying on it's side, shooting into the top. I had also originally made this alloy up to use in my 41, and 44.

I will pour up some more using the 1.5/1.5/97 I had used before which should give them great expansion. Of course these might work well for some of the smaller hogs we sometimes get up close and personal with as well.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:21 PM   #5
LAH

Thanks Mike, for some reason I was thinking this was a H&G 68 clone.