The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2017, 04:28 AM   #1
Old Stony

10mm auto advice ?

I've sort of had the itch for a 10mm lately, and would like to hear from others about preferences for a couple models. I have sigs and 1911's and lots of handguns, but don't know much about the Ruger stainless 10mm's as far as performance. They do sort of intrigue me because of being stainless and Rugers have always been tough guns.
I was also thinking towards a Sig 220 in 10mm, as I have had good luck with Sigs over the years. Anyone have experience with these and how they perform?
I do a lot of hog hunting, and that's the reason for the 10mm...just having trouble making up my mind.
Old December 10, 2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Areoflyer09

Not exactly the models you were asking about, but I had the pleasure of trying a Sig 1911 and a Colt Delta Eltie a few weeks back. Both were prime examples of a well built 1911 and performsed flawlessly. My preference between the two would be the Colt, but only because the checkering on the Sig was more aggressive than I like.

I own two 10mm pistols, but mine are both Tanfoglio Witness Elite models. I’ve got the Limited Pro & Hunter models. I acquired the LimPro in a trade and enjoyed it enough I bought a Hunter.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:10 AM   #3
agtman

Quote:
I've sort of had the itch for a 10mm lately, and would like to hear from others about preferences for a couple models. I have sigs and 1911's and lots of handguns, but don't know much about the Ruger stainless 10mm's as far as performance. They do sort of intrigue me because of being stainless and Rugers have always been tough guns.
I was also thinking towards a Sig 220 in 10mm, as I have had good luck with Sigs over the years. Anyone have experience with these and how they perform?
I do a lot of hog hunting, and that's the reason for the 10mm...just having trouble making up my mind.
Have had, and still have, a number of different makes of 10mm pistols, so here's my 2-cents:

If all you want a 10mm for is as a dedicated hog-hunting pistol, not for CCW, then with Sig's 10mms you have three 5" SAO P220 options to choose from. I've handled several and got to fire a range acquaintance's, which was the Kryptek camo SAO model. Great trigger and you get adj. sights. I have the DA/SA stainless Elite model, with the fixed SigLite tritium sights, as I've always wanted a 10mm Sig that was similar to my old "Made in W.Germany" .45acp P220.

On the 1911s, I've had a couple of Deltas, ... but if I were looking hard at the 1911-platform in 10mm today the two I would consider would be (1) Sig's 10mm TacOps, which comes with night-sights and is a railed 1911 thus giving you the option to run a light in the field. It also comes with four 8-rd mags in the box with the gun, so it's value-added to the OTD price. (2) I'd also be taking a close look at Coonan's relatively new 10mm MOT-10 model, which is available with fixed night sights and comes with two 8-rd mags. No rail though. Supposedly it has a great trigger, and thus far has garnered positive reviews as a robust 10mm 1911.

Here's a link to one review of the MOT-10 with a range-testing video (scroll down a bit):

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/coonan-mot-10/

Good luck!

Last edited by agtman; December 10, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:11 AM   #4
HighValleyRanch

I've owned 2 glock 29's and 2 glock 20's. One 20 I cut down to a 29 grip, so I guess you could say it was a 29 long slide.
All handled the 10mm including hot doubletap ammo without any hitches. Recoil was no problem. I don't see why people have a problem shooting 10mm!

Only thing with the glocks was that they were thick in the width. Want to try the SF versions. Also a single stack 10mm would be nice.
Old December 10, 2017, 12:12 PM   #5
BigJimP

I have fired the Sig and the Glock versions...and I would not want either of them for hunting...even the Sig SAO is still a Sig Trigger with a lot of slack in it since it moves thru an arc like any trigger hinged from a pin.

I would go with a 1911...and personally I like the Wilson Combat CQB model...although their Hunter model is worth looking at too. The trigger on the 1911 makes a difference to me.../ and my Wilson's have run 100% right out of the box ( although I only have them in 9mm and .45 acp )...I have doubt their guns will be just as good in 10mm. If you like Sig of course you could try one of their 1911's in 10mm also.

But for hunting, I would go with a single action Freedom Arms revolver...the large frame, model 83, is my preference ( because it fits my hands better than the medium sized model 97's ) even though its only 5 rounds...and its available in a variety of calibers / I would probably opt for the 7 1/2" barrel in .475 Linebaugh. I know its not the 10mm ...but I think its a very capable caliber in the field.
Old December 10, 2017, 12:23 PM   #6
RickB

I have time on both the Delta and the G20.
I'm not sure what job would require both 10mm ballistics and Glock capacity, and it's a really big gun.
The Delta is slim, and has all the usual 1911 goodness.
My only SIG P-series experience is about 50 rounds through a Grayguns custom P220. It had all of the same mods as Grayguns' custom 10mm P220, and I wanted an impression of the handling qualities.
While it may be the nicest SIG in the world, I wouldn't trade any of my 1911s for it.
If concealment is not a requirement, then I'd look at a 6" gun like the Dan Wesson Bruin.
Since velocity is the whole point, I would not go below 5".
Old December 10, 2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Troy800

Sig P220 is a great pistol and highly reccomend it. No experience with other pistols in 10 mm
Old December 10, 2017, 12:37 PM   #8
disseminator

In a Semi-Auto, the Glock 40 with an RMR sight is gonna be your best option for hunting.

I agree a Revolver is superior for Hunting but that's not what you asked so....
Old December 10, 2017, 01:34 PM   #9
CockNBama

I have three 10's, a Glock 20, a Dan Wesson PM 7 and the P220 Stainless. My favorite tends to be the one I happen to be shooting at any moment, but the P220 is the best looking of the three.
Old December 10, 2017, 02:15 PM   #10
CDW4ME

I have a Glock 20SF, Colt Delta Elite and a 1911 Ruger 10mm
You seem to be more interested in 1911
I've put about 300 rounds through the Delta and used it to shoot a deer.
Have not had the Ruger long, less than 100 rounds fired as of this post.
Delta uses a dual recoil spring, barrel bushing, regular / traditional short guide rod, 3 dot sights.
Ruger has single recoil spring, ramped tapered barrel (no bushing) full length guide rod, adjustable black sights, which I "updraded" to 3 dot with Dremel and paint.
Both Delta & Ruger have (had) slick front strap, easily "enhanced" with skate board tape.
Delta comes with plastic MSH, Ruger has metal.
Both of these pistols throw brass consistently and vigorously about 4 o'clock.

Edit to add: I was carrying a 45 acp 1911, Delta took its place, would be equally content to carry the Ruger after a bit more shooting.

Last edited by CDW4ME; December 10, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 10, 2017, 03:59 PM   #11
boondocker385

For hunting I would go with a 1911 because of the trigger if you are going to keep it stock. That said I have taken 3 pigs and 2 deer with my Glock 20 with a 6" wolf barrel and buff job on the trigger. Get what feels good (Glocks point better and fit my hand better).
Old December 10, 2017, 04:46 PM   #12
Lohman446

I have a G29 and a Delta

When you shoot the G29 you wonder what the big deal with recoil is

You don't wonder with the Delta.
Old December 10, 2017, 05:13 PM   #13
DaleA

For 10mm I've always thought reloading would be a big issue. That is, reloading would make the 10mm much more affordable to shoot.

So what's the opinion of folk shooting 10mm as to damaged brass? Specifically is the 10mm brass from a Glock really hard to reload because of the 'Glock bulge'? Are the other guns much easier on the brass?
Old December 10, 2017, 07:25 PM   #14
saleen322

Have a Sig SAO, a 1911 and a revolver in 10mm. For hunting the revolver is the best fit followed by the Sig and then the 1911. Any pistol selected needs to have good case support so you can shoot real 10mm loads. Whatever you go with insist on having quality adjustable sights on it.
Old December 10, 2017, 08:46 PM   #15
Old Stony

I currently carry a Glock 22 with night sights and a light under it, but was thinking a little more poop to the cartridge wouldn't hurt. I shoot a lot of hogs at night and a lot of time I am using a handgun searching out the ones that make it into the deep brush, as my AR with night vision isn't much good at very close range.
I am thinking seriously about the Sig 220 at this point. I have owned a Sig 1911, and didn't really care for it much...and apparently not too many guys have experience with the Ruger 1911's, or at least they aren't commenting on them.
I have owned many large revolvers and have great respect for some like the Freedom Arms 454's, but I don't think they are the handguns for my situation.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:28 PM   #16
Dufus

If you like Glocks, then the G40 Gen 4 would be tough to beat for hunting purposes.

I bought one when they first came out and busted 3 hogs the next week.

They were 85 lbs, 120 lbs, and a 160 pounder.

The 6" barrel gives some good velocities.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:58 PM   #17
Ridgerunner665

I like my G40... Most fun I've ever had out of a pistol of any kind, and that includes a Les Baer 1911.

200 grain bullets at over 1,300 fps are pretty good hunting medicine.

Old December 11, 2017, 12:49 AM   #18
BigJimP

I see a few of the Ruger 1911's at my local range...mostly in .45acp ...and 1 or 2 in 9mm..../..I fired a couple of them ( triggers were not very good )...fit and finish were average at best. I wold not recommend them.

Since you don't like the idea of a Freedom Arms revolver --- for Hogs.../ ..and you didn't say anything about a Wilson in 10mm, I assume you ruled it out too.....I suggest you go with the Sig 220../ I like the 220's ..I have one of the SAO versions in .45acp, solid gun, its just not as good as a Wilson 1911...but I would go with Sig 220 over a low to medium quality 1911 like the Ruger...but just my opinion...

Fyi only...Wilson has 4 Hunter models in stock / 2 in 10mm, 2 in .460 Rowland at around $4,100...that cold ship tomorrow ( their website, go to Shop, go to In Stock Firearms...handguns, full sized ..pick model...)...the only 10mm's I saw in inventory were Hunter models but there may be others..or call them tomorrow / or talk to a local dealer..

Last edited by BigJimP; December 11, 2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old December 11, 2017, 02:28 AM   #19
bamaranger

RMR

The RMR feature of the Glock 40 would be the deal clincher for me. I suspect the new rugged micro dots would allow most folks to shoot a handgun accurately more easily, just as they allow most folks to shoot dot sighted carbines like AR's well. The dot should eliminate some of the problems associated with running conventional iron sights. Yeah, you'd still have to run the trigger correctly, but the whole alignment and focus issue connected with irons is largely eliminated. One of these days, my G20 will get traded on a G40, but then I'll have to buy the high dollar optics too. One's likely to get over four figures pretty easily.

REgards loading for the 10mm.......... Only time I've gotten into trouble with bulged brass is when I switched primers, but maintained my charge weight on what had otherwise been a stiff but safe load. I got away with it, a dozen or so shots woke me up to the fact that my ammo was too hot, and I ended up pulling a couple of hundred rounds....but got reminded about proper and safe technique. You change a component......reduce your load and work your way back up. Anyhow, those 12 or so cases were significanly bulged at the base.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:44 AM   #20
Old Stony

I guess the Sig 220 is in my future for a new 10mm. I don't have a lot of patience with problem guns..but I have had other 220's over the years that performed well. I still have numerous Sigs..including a 220 carry version that shoots very accurately.
I had a Glock 10mm once that I sort of inherited from a friend. He didn't have it very long before it blew the mag out of the gun and the extractor disappeared when he shot it. Luckily he wasn't hurt, and the gun was repairable. I'm sure it was due to his handloads, but I would prefer something with a fully supported chamber.
I recently bought an M&P 5" Core model in .40, with the intention of adding an optic and making a night time hog gun out of it. A friend and I took it to my range to try it out with various kinds of factory ammo, and the best we could do was a 6" group at 7 yards. This was just not acceptable for me, and it went with me to a gun show a couple days ago...and stayed there. I have a M&P Pro in 9mm that is a great shooter...but I just didn't feel like sending that .40 back to Smith to figure out what was wrong with it.
So in the end....guess I better start shopping for the Sig 220...
Old December 11, 2017, 07:07 AM   #21
Mr.RevolverGuy

Ruger 10MM SR1911

Unboxing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gbLuDQqFY

And First time range visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSo62w1Cm8E

You can't go wrong with the Ruger or the Sig. To me it boils down to what you want to spend. I have shot both and for the money the Ruger is well built and nicely refined.
Old December 11, 2017, 07:43 AM   #22
agtman

Quote:
I guess the Sig 220 is in my future for a new 10mm. I don't have a lot of patience with problem guns..but I have had other 220's over the years that performed well. I still have numerous Sigs..including a 220 carry version that shoots very accurately. * * *
Some previous poster claimed that Sig's SA triggers weren't as nice as a 1911's. All I can suggest is that you try to find a SAO 10mm P220 in a LGS near you, and see if they'll let you handle and dry-fire it.

A regional Cabelas had two of them in stock back when I was looking around for the DA/SA Elite model. One was the Kryptek Camo SAO model, the other was sort of a bead-blasted stainless model with Rosewood grips, as I recall. That one I handled and dry-fired that day, and I thought the SAO trigger was great. Some months later, I got to actually fire the 10mm Kryptek Camo P220 that a range member had. I thought its SA trigger was excellent as well.

Again, see if you can find one local somewhere and finger-test it first, if possible.
Old December 11, 2017, 11:13 AM   #23
RickB

Quote:
So what's the opinion of folk shooting 10mm as to damaged brass? Specifically is the 10mm brass from a Glock really hard to reload because of the 'Glock bulge'? Are the other guns much easier on the brass?
Most bulged Glock brass is no problem for reloading, as the bulge is well forward on the case.
Bulged cases that I've seen ejected from Deltas tend to show a bulge immediately forward of the extraction groove, where a sizer die won't necessarily reach, and where there might actually be damage to the case.
Depending on how hot you want to load - hot enough to potentially damage the bras? - service life might be only a few loadings, regardless.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:03 PM   #24
disseminator

Quote:
I switched to a Lone Wolf barrel so I'd not have issues with this. The factory chamber is large like most Glocks and does balloon the brass. That said, I have never had an issue resizing Glocked brass but I prefer not to Glock it in the first place hence the LW barrels.

The problem with the 10mm IMO is the lack of bullets designed for terminal performance at 10mm velocities. Hard cast would likely be best.

I have a load with the 200 Nosler HP at 1200 feet from my 5.3" LW barreled Glock 20. I don't think much of the bullet however and would favor more choices. The XTP will work and that's likely the best choice for expanding 10mm Hunting bullets.

That's why I favor a Revolver (cartridge) for Hunting.
Old December 11, 2017, 01:17 PM   #25
BigJimP

I said the Sig 220 trigger, even in SAO, is not nearly as good as a 1911 trigger....and that opinion holds for any of the Sig triggers that are suspended by a pin ...even on the Sig 226 X-Five L1 model with the adjustable trigger..( which I have in .40 S&W ).../ it still has to move thru an arc...vs straight back and forth in a 1911. As nice a gun as the 226 X-5 L1 model is ...its not as good a gun as either of my Wilson Combat 1911's.