The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 23, 2017, 02:52 PM   #1
tahunua001

iron sights for Rem 600 mohawk

hello all,
I have a remington 600 mohawk and I'm looking to build a lightweight brush gun setup for it. I had planned on a compact low zoom scope for it but what I ended up ordering was quite a bit larger and heavier than expected. so shifting gears a little bit, before I mounted it I was thinking of exploring iron sights instead for even faster sight allignment. I like rear peep sights, especially with shorter barreled designs like this one to increase the sight radius. does anyone know of a peep setup that is designed specifically for the 600 and the height of front sight that I would need to pair it with? it shouldn't make any difference but this is the remington 600 mohawk in 308 win.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

When I first bought my 700 Ti, I did a search for a lightweight scope. The lightest I found was the Weaver V3. I tried it, and got one MOA groups off my benchrest with it, but for some reason I just didn't like it. Not saying it was in any way bad, but I went back to my favorite, the Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X 2.

The sling, scope & mounts and five rounds of 7mm08 total 1.25 pounds.

(Their 2-7x32 is also a great scope.)
Old November 23, 2017, 09:38 PM   #3
jmr40

I don't know of anything specifically for that rifle in iron sights. But I stopped wasting time with irons years ago. A 1-4X20 Leupold is 8 oz. You can get a dot type sight at around 2-4 oz. Either are FASTER than iron sights and much better all around. Irons can be useless in low light where any optical sight is much more useful.

I prefer a conventional scope that can be set on 1X to the dots. I've had the 2-7X scopes and used to prefer them. But after using a scope at 1X the difference compared to 2X is dramatically faster. The ability to go up to 4X gives enough magnification for most big game up to at least 300 yards if the opportunity comes up. If not a 1-4X, then I'd just as soon go to a 3-9X anymore. Those can be as light as 11 oz.

The mounts matter too. Some of the steel mounts weigh more than some scopes. Stay with something like Talley Lightweights or DNZ and your mounts can weigh 2-3 oz vs 6-8 oz for steel.

Winston Churchill
Old November 24, 2017, 12:24 AM   #4
tahunua001

I normally have no problems with irons in low light. the much bigger issue I have is snow and rain fogging my glass and ruining my sight picture. the scope I have is a 1-4X on paper but in reality is a negative zoom at 1 and instead needs to be set at about 1.5x for a true 1 power picture. otherwise it's a great deal, other than the unexpected size/weight. I can't hunt in my state with dots or any battery powered optic.
Old November 24, 2017, 02:06 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Congratulations!! You have a rather rare bird. Though cataloged in .308 and .243, every one of the dozen or so Mohawks I've seen over the years has been .243, so a Mohawk in .308 is a pretty rare beast.

Original model 600s in .308 are relatively common, as 600s go, but Mohawks in .308 are scarce.

OK, if you are looking for a rear peep sight, the one(s) you should be looking for is a Lyman, or a Redfield (pretty sure). I am sure there is a Lyman that was made for that gun, not so sure about Redfield, but I think so.

Sorry I can't tell you which Lyman peep, I was never that interested in peep sights, but the rifle is drilled and tapped for one. Two screws on the left side of the rear of the receiver. You probably will have to remove a little of the stock wood to mount the sight, but the mounting screws are there. My Mohawk .243 has those screws, about half covered by the stock.

I had good results with (old) Weaver 1.5, 2.5, and even 3x scopes with the POST /crosswire reticle, in the Adirondack woods. Very fast to use, though not the optical quality of the most modern scopes. And, still vulnerable to rain or snow, of course. Always used regular crosshairs for .243, but then it wasn't a deep woods rifle.

The 600 series are great rifles, but they have a few quirks. Be especially careful with reassembly if you take it out of the stock. The sheet metal magazine box can "pop" down from its fully seated position easily, and if it does, and you don't realize it, you can bend the plastic floorplate when you tighten the action screws.

I've got 600s in .222Rem .243 Win (Mohawk), 6mm Rem, .308Win and .350 Rem Mag. Great guns, not benchrest accurate but game getting accurate. Barrels heat up pretty quick so 5 shot bench groups are often disappointing, compared to bigger, heavier guns. First 2-3 shots are good enough, I've always found.

The short barrel gives up a bit of speed, but not enough to matter to anything you might shoot, and they carry very well in thick country.

My first deer rifle was a Model 600 in .308, a gift from my father at age 16, and I still have it, and it means a lot to me, because of the memories it carries. As long as I have it, part of him is still with me...
Old November 24, 2017, 05:39 AM   #6
eastbank

I have a older rem 760 carbine in 3006 with a 2.5x compact leupold on it, I use a good rain guard-fogging(NU-VIEW) lens cleaner with good lens caps. I have killed a truck load of deer in bad(rain-snow) weather with that combo. eastbank.
Old November 24, 2017, 05:44 PM   #7
bamaranger

XS and Skinner sights

I'm with jmr40 on irons these days.....but if you want the ultimate in lightweight and durability, tough irons are the way to go.

I'd give the people at XS sights, and Skinner Sights a call and look see. Those folks sell tough sights for a lot of different rifles, many model specific, and a good 'smith could likely solve any fitment problems.

Yeah, a Mohawk .308, seldom seen, like, ........... I never seen one myself.
Old November 24, 2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Don Fischer

I'm old and eye's aren't the best anymore. Saw a set up years ago in Alaska that would probably make a great brush gun. Gunsmith made it for himself. Mod 98 Mauser, 8x57 with the barrel shortened to 20" and he mounted a long relief handgun scope out on the barrel. I tried it out and never have I been able to get a great view through a scope that fast! Threw the gun up and everything instantly in clear view! He'd mounted the scope out on the barrel! Super fast aiming. Don't remember the power but 2 1/2 or less some where!