The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 13, 2018, 06:54 PM   #26
Justin62882

Well.... at least a couple people did answer my question from past experiences. I never really asked if a 357 can kill a deer. I mainly wanted to know for the people who has shot deer with them in the past how far did you have to track before finding your deer. Not headshots.
Old June 13, 2018, 07:39 PM   #27
NoSecondBest

Most just about in their tracks or within twenty-five yards. They rarely went very far at all.
Old June 13, 2018, 08:30 PM   #28
ThomasT

Quote:
Well.... at least a couple people did answer my question from past experiences. I never really asked if a 357 can kill a deer. I mainly wanted to know for the people who has shot deer with them in the past how far did you have to track before finding your deer. Not headshots.
Sorry if my response wasn't what you were looking for. But if you hunt enough you will learn that no one can give you an exact answer on how far a deer will run after being shot with anything.

You will have your answer when you have more experience.
Old June 13, 2018, 08:32 PM   #29
GeauxTide

Quote:
Have shot several deer with the .357 Magnum and always found it wanting. Moved up to the .45 Colt and what a difference. It puts them down with authority
I agree with this; however, please keep your manners. Everyone has different experience/opinions, so let's respect that and refrain from the personal, destructive criticism.
Old June 13, 2018, 08:45 PM   #30
Super Sneaky Steve

I've killed many deer with .357 Magnum. I'd recommend a 125grn soft point loaded as hot as you can get it. All died within seconds if not DRT.

Speed kills.
Old June 13, 2018, 09:32 PM   #31
Andy Blozinski

"Funny how the .223 as used by our military works as a "manstopper""

I think you need to read up on the history of the 5.56 round. It was not chosen for this reason.
Old June 13, 2018, 11:06 PM   #32
Hitthespot

The first deer I ever shot was at 60 yards with a Colt Cobra 357 6" barrel, and Aim Point. Almost a perfect shot; hit the shoulder and the 158gr XTP hollow point bullet exploded. I got lucky and a small pc of the bullet severed the heart. Found him 10-20 yards away. When I stepped it off I was a little taken back it was 60 yards. I would not have taken the shot. 357 at very short distances with a soft point bullet might be acceptable but why chance it.

Move up to a 41mag or 44 mag with a jacketed soft point bullet. You won't be sorry.
Old June 14, 2018, 05:49 AM   #33
USSR

"Funny how the .223 as used by our military works as a "manstopper""

Quote:
I think you need to read up on the history of the 5.56 round. It was not chosen for this reason.
Am well aware of the theory of wounding a guy ties up his comrades in providing aid to him. Still, it was selected as the MBR round for our armed forces and is hardly a deer cartridge.

Don
Old June 15, 2018, 06:48 AM   #34
Jack O'Conner

357 MAG

This cow elk was felled by two quick shots into the chest at a distance of approx 50 feet. Within reasonable archery distances, my 357 MAG is a lethal hunting tool. But beyond archery range, a good is advised.

Jack

Old June 15, 2018, 08:10 AM   #35
kraigwy

Never shot a deer with a 357

BUT

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 15, 2018, 08:24 AM   #36
Wyosmith

I have killed several deer and antelope with my 357s. I have a 6" M28 and a 6" M27. I used LBT Hard cast every time but the 1st time back in the 70s, when I killed a deer with a 158 Br Remington Soft point. All fell quickly and about 1/4 of them fell instantly.

The 187 gr hand cast LBT is a Wide Flat-Nosed Gas Check bullet. My standard load is a max safe charge of WW296. Depending on the lot of powder, it's somewhere between 15.8 gr and 16.4 grains. Accuracy is a ragged hole at 25 yards with all six rounds from both my revolvers.

All these deer and antelope have been killed in Nevada, Wyoming Idaho. Some of the deer were very big bucks and so far the only bullet I ever recovered was the 1st one, the Remington, but in fairness it went clear through the deer and was found on the skin in the butt. All the LBT bullets have exited and about 1/2 have hit bones.

In the hands of someone that can shoot a revolver well, the 357 mag is a fine deer gun.
Old June 15, 2018, 12:53 PM   #37
ThomasT

Great stories but the OP asked how far do you have to track deer after being shot with a 357? As far as I am concerned that is a question that is without answer. I have shot deer that dropped in their tracks. One deer shot with a 44 mag rifle and a 240gr soft point right through the lungs with a broadside shot ran around 150 yards. I would never have expected that. Especially after I saw the damage to the insides.

But thats how deer and other animals sometimes react to being shot. The OP says he tracks deer he has shot with a bow and arrow. If he is that good of a tracker I doubt he will have any trouble at all tracking any deer shot with a 357 magnum as long as its a well placed shot.
Old June 15, 2018, 01:20 PM   #38
Justin62882

Yep, basically all I was wanting is if you reply to this topic. If you have shot a deer with a 357 how far have they gone. I understand every situation Is different and you can't predict how far a deer would go if I shot it. I've just wondered basically people who have shot deer that aren't dropped because of a headshot how far have they gone before expiring after being shot with a 357. I appreciate all the replies that's been sent and I don't want to cause an argument like I've seen between a couple people on here. Thanks
Old June 15, 2018, 01:23 PM   #39
Justin62882

Ratshooter, it's crazy sometimes. My grandpa shot a 13 pointer damn near perfect double lung no heart with a 12 gauge slug. It ran probably 150 yards maybe 180. Biggest blood trail I ever seen. They are just tough animals.
Old June 15, 2018, 04:20 PM   #40
ThomasT

Yes they sure are. And even if the innerds are shot to hell but no damage to the nervous system like if a fragment of the bullet hits the bottom of the spine they may still have 3-10 seconds of life left. And they make good use of that last bit of life by running like an Olympian. So a good blood trail is desirable.

Buy your 357 if you don't have one already and do lots of practice. And do it from field rest not from a bench. You will be fine. I would use the heaviest hard cast or jacketed soft points you can get your hands on. But in the end where the shot is put is what will tell the tale.
Old June 15, 2018, 05:29 PM   #41
darkgael

“If it stops a man, it stops a deer.”
Kill a deer. Yes.
Stop a deer? Not necessarily. There are any number of stories of deer mortally wounded that ran despite the wound. Something a man is not apt to be able to do.
I had a friend years ago who used the .30-06 and lions as and example. “Sure”, he said, “a 30-06 will kill lions all day long. If you want to stop a lion, you need something like .416.