The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 6, 2018, 01:41 AM   #1
wmg1299

Ruger GP 100 for Concealed Carry

I have decided that the 7-round Ruger GP 100 will be my next revolver purchase. I can buy the 4.2" model for the same price as the 2.5" model. I intend to occasionally conceal carry the weapon (IWB), and really wish there were a 3" option. Of the available choices, I am leaning toward the 4.2" barrel. Do any of you conceal a revolver with a 4 inch barrel? If so, do you find it comfortable, or would you recommend the 2.5" model if I intend to conceal carry?
Old May 6, 2018, 02:42 AM   #2
stormyone

I can carry the GP100 on my belt. For CCW, the SP101 is much more comfortable.
Old May 6, 2018, 03:42 AM   #3
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyone View Post
I can carry the GP100 on my belt. For CCW, the SP101 is much more comfortable.

Ditto. I just feel the 4” GP100 is too big of a beast to IWB
Old May 6, 2018, 07:49 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

Ruger GP 100 for Concealed Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
I have decided that the 7-round Ruger GP 100 will be my next revolver purchase. I can buy the 4.2" model for the same price as the 2.5" model. I intend to occasionally conceal carry the weapon (IWB), and really wish there were a 3" option. Of the available choices, I am leaning toward the 4.2" barrel. Do any of you conceal a revolver with a 4 inch barrel? If so, do you find it comfortable, or would you recommend the 2.5" model if I intend to conceal carry?

I own many revolvers, and the GP-100 is a solid choice with the 7 round capacity. I’d choose a 2.5” for practicality. I have owned the Ruger SP-101 (my first ever handgun decades ago), but the trigger is not good, it’s a brick for weight, and it’s only 5 rounds. If I were to carry it, I’d change the SP-101 grips for a larger wood grip or a thicker/rear padded rubber Hogue grip. The Ruger LCR was shaped in a way for my meaty hands that recoil hit my thenar eminance, making it unpleasant for 38+P. The S&W 442 shape suited my bear mits much better.

My GP-100 revolvers were only 6 rounds (I sold them off since they were 6” and 4” versions, too impractical for me). Of the revolvers I have, I choose to carry a 2.5” Kimber K6S 6 round snubbie or a 3” S&W 586 L-Comp 7 rounder for CCW. For me, anything longer is way to heavy.

Before you decide upon the length of the barrel for purchasing, you should consider a few factors:

Concealed carry issues

What is the total weight of each gun loaded? What is the availability of holsters for your particular gun choice? How do you intend to conceal carry? IWB? OWB?

A longer revolver will be a a slower draw from concealment than a shorter one. The longer sight radius will take a fraction of a second longer to focus on the sights.

Outside the waistband is a faster draw depending upon your method of concealment.

Kydex is a better material for concealed carry than leather. Leather requires a break in and can be a bit snug, even with a proper break in. When I’ve concealed carried a Python, Smith 627 5”, Smith 586 L-Comp 3”, it’s always been a leather paddle holster or a 5.56 Concealment shirt (works like a shoulder holster, logistically).

Handling

How well do you shoot one versus the other? How much time do you intend on practicing, drawing from concealment and how to reload?

Most people will shoot a 4” or longer revolver better than a shorter one. Depending upon the load, the muzzle velocity will be greater by anywhere from 150-200 FPS.

How much experience do you have shooting a 2.5” barrel handgun? It’s not as easy as most people realize.

At what distances do you intend to practice? I typically use a 25 yard standard if it’s going to be my carry gun, on a 10-12” plate, even though most realistic distances are going to be much closer. Why? Because I want to ensure that I have a minimum degree of proficiency with it. A longer distance unmasks any degree of inconsistency I may have with trigger control on it.

When I go hunting, I carry a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull, 2.5”, OWB Kydex Holster by Bladetech. It’s my backup to a rifle. I have carried a 5” Ruger Toklat 45 Casull, but again, the draw is much slower.

MuzzleblastMD
-Physician
-Firearms enthusiast
-Competition shooter

Last edited by CDR_Glock; May 6, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old May 6, 2018, 08:01 AM   #5
Nathan

They make a 3". If I were to CCW a revolver, it would be a 3" in an owb pancake holster.
Old May 6, 2018, 02:23 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

I've carried 4-inch revolvers concealed.
I've carried 3-inch GPs concealed.

If I were going to revert to a revolver for concealed carry, it'd be a snub.
Weight makes a difference, and I don't care what anybody says- a shorter barrel's easier to hide than a longer one, unless you're an IWB type.

I have the 2.5 7-shot GP here, and would consider it an excellent choice for concealed revolver work.
Denis
Old May 6, 2018, 03:55 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

After seeing your post, I strapped on my 4" security six to see how comfortable it is again.

While not as big as the GP100, I have no trouble carrying the 4" Ruger security six IWB and drawing the extra length. If fact, the extra barrel seems to hold the revolver more in place than my 2" Smith model 19 I had. That always seemed top heavy in a high ride holster.

This is the holster I find the most comfortable as it pads the gun nicely, is very thin and holds the gun extremely close to the body.
It's an older Bianchi model 3 pistol pocket. Not sure if they make this model anymore.
It holds the revolver at a forward FBI cant for easy draw, and the extra barrel goes back by the hip.

NOTE: But when I carry my 3" LCRX .38 in it, it feels like I have nothing on, due to the extra light weight. The LCRX is about the same size, but more than half the weight, so weight does matter some!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05226.JPG (186.1 KB, 2654 views)
Old May 6, 2018, 06:53 PM   #8
dgludwig

For carrying a revolver concealed in an iwb holster, I want it to be as light and compact as practical and preferably have a six-shot capacity. Imo, the Ruger Model 100 is a mite too heavy and a little too bulky for an "ideal" configured ccw revolver.

My idea of an ideal snub-nose revolver for concealed carry in an iwb holster is one of these three candidates: the original Colt Cobra/Agent; the Smith & Wesson Model 12 (preferably the round butt variant) and the Ruger LCR, chambered in .327 Magnum (for the extra round advantage over the .38/.357 chambered variants).
Old May 6, 2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Model12Win

The GP is a service revolver.

The SP is a carry revolver.

I'd look at the SP. Very capable and packabe too.
Old May 6, 2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Armybrat

The 3" SP101 in .327 federal is a 6 shooter. Might be a nice compromise over the bigger GP. Mine weighs in 27 ounces empty and is .5" shorter than the GP100 (not to mention less bulky).

If I were to carry a GP concealed, it would be the 3" with fixed sights & short old style grip. That version is in the top 4 of my want list.

On the other hand a 3" Speed Six stainless is more desirable.

To each his/her own though.

Last edited by Armybrat; May 6, 2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 6, 2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Wheel-Gunner

A 4” GP IWB?? My guess is you’ll get tired of that quickly. I do occasionally carry my WC GP 3” OWB with some smaller grips and I wouldn’t want anymore gun than that. An SP is much better suited for IWB for me. If you are concerned about only having 5 shots, you can go .327mag for 6. In the end I am not sure 1 less round is a deal breaker for self defense, but that is for another thread.

If you are stuck on a 7 shot GP, then I would get the 2.5” and carry it OWB. That gun is on my shopping list. I have yet to actually see one.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:27 PM   #12
shurshot

I just bought a new 3" SS GP100 from Buds. I'll be putting a smaller grip on it at some point, but in a Bianchi IWB, it's a comforting weight, knowing there are 6 rounds of .357 Magnum there, along with a couple speed strips in a pocket. Even with the giant grips (which feel awesome in the hand), tucked in at 3:00 on my right hip with a loose shirt, pretty easy to conceal. Just loosen the belt another notch and Avoid skin tight pants or jeans. Trigger is nice and smooth too. I prefer fixed sights on a CCW / Trail gun, which the GP has. And, NO ugly "hole" to look at. I love my S&W's, but those holes... no trouble (mine have never locked, never even tried them!), just annoying knowing why they are there. That's why a new Ruger GP 3" is in my waistband instead of a snub S&W 686... fixed sights and no hole! Grabagun online has a better price than I paid on the 3" Ruger GP100. I'll look for a decent OWB once fall hits and I start wearing warmer clothes, coats, etc. For now, the IWB Biancci works, although it's made for a 4", no hammer dig and with a 3" bbl, sitting, driving, etc., not uncomfortable. Heavier than a 5 shot Snubnose . 38, yes, but... MUCH more COMFORTING with 6 rounds of .357 Magnums.

Last edited by shurshot; May 7, 2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old May 7, 2018, 06:03 AM   #13
agtman

Quote:
Yep. The larger GP is meant for 'open' carry in a police or private security 'Duty'-type holster attached to a thick, weighty leather belt.

Carry revolvers, like the SP, which have tubes of 3" or less and fixed (notched) rear sights, are purpose-designed for concealed carry and quick close-range point-shooting.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:07 AM   #14
wilburmay

GP100

Hold off and find a 3”. You’ll be glad you did
Old May 7, 2018, 07:10 AM   #15
Master Blaster

IWB not very comfortable depending on you body type.
The long barrel will dig into your thigh, and the hammer will become a harpoon in your side if you do any driving or sitting at a desk. If you only stand you will be OK, but you will need a very good belt to keep you pants up with the weight.

Think Belt holster with a covering garment instead of IWB.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:21 AM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

I carried the 3-inch GP for a while after I retired, OWB holster.
Weight never bothered me, and I did not consider it a close-in weapon.

I would have no interest in daily carrying a 4-incher as a CCW, and I have three.

The current 7-shot 2.5 is a very nice carry gun.
The weight is more than some are willing to deal with, but with compact grips, the adjustable sights, 7 shots of Magnum power, and a very concealable barrel, it's a great package.

I have two older 3-inch GPs, and if I were to go with a Magnum for CCW, the 2.5 would win, hands down.
I LIKE having adjustable sights, and the shorty shoots well.
Denis
Old May 7, 2018, 11:27 AM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...GP100 is too big of a beast to IWB..." More about the weight. The 7 round capacity makes it bulkier too.
The GP is too heavy to be a "service" revolver.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:37 AM   #18
Sharkbite

Back in the days when Revolvers were the norm in police holsters, it was a rare instance to find a cop carrying his duty revolver off duty and concealed.

Hence the popularity of the J frame snubby.

A full size “duty” revolver is a pain to conceal and carry. Can it be done?...sure. Are you going to like the experience?...i doubt it.

So, now you dont like carrying the gun and it gets left at home more often then it should. Not a great plan.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:07 PM   #19
jfruser

I have packed a 4" SW686, very similar to the GP100, both IWB and OWB.

IWB is easier for the 4" service revo if you have proper pants, belt, holster, and you are big enough to manage it. That way your cover garment doesn;t have to look like a circus tent. That danged cylinder is wide, though, and is the tougher part of the IWB carry.

OWB, a 1 3/4" wide double thick/reinforced belt is almost mandatory. And a serious hoss holster. Some LEOs used to complain about the weight of the L-frame vs the K frame even in patrol gear.

Still, any of the heavy frame .357mag revos (S&W L & N, Ruger GP100, Colt Python) require only the best gear to carry comfortably.

There is a reason why 2-3" bbls are popular for revo carry. Just so much easier to deal with than a 4" revo, it is hard to describe. MUCH bigger difference than the various 1911 models with their bbl lengths. Old Slab Sides GM, is a much easier carry than a 4" bbl revolver.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:47 PM   #20
amd6547

I have carried my 3" GP100 IWB in a Galco summer comfort with no difficulty.
I have also carried either a 4" Model 15 or a Model 10. Usually, I do these in the crossdraw position, and put on a pair of Uncle Mike K frame boot grips. The Model 10, with it's tapered barrel, carries very easily.
Old May 7, 2018, 03:49 PM   #21
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
This is generally true, but I've been spoiled by polymer-framed semi-autos and the LCR. They are just so easy to carry that I don't know if I'll ever go back to carrying steel.

I'll also second a previous comment about the SP101 tigger. It is not good. Sure, it smooths up a bit over time. It also breaks a little far back for my hand, even when pushed out a little by a Hogue hardwood grip. I had a professional trigger job done on one of my SP101s and the gunsmith welded one of those little doodads behind the trigger to prevent over-travel. It helped but not quite enough. (I think it could also benefit from some shims but that will have to wait.) Also, it seems like newer SP101s are not as nice as older ones. I have one from the 1990s that has superior fit and finish, and a better trigger than the newer one I got professional help for, despite being totally neglected and stored dirty by a previous owner.

I only know modern incarnations of the GP100 but it seems like a better gun overall. It's just heavier and even less likely to get picked for concealed carry.
Old May 7, 2018, 09:25 PM   #22
Armybrat

One advantage a steel revolver will have over the air weight & polymer types is the heft that makes it a pretty good club in case the user runs out of boolets.
Old May 8, 2018, 06:02 AM   #23
tallball

For warm weather, I rarely carry anything else other than my LCR. For warmer weather, my CA Bulldog OWB is very nice. I wouldn't really consider a GP100. It sounds like walking around with a brick strapped to your waist.
Old May 8, 2018, 09:09 AM   #24
jfruser

Oh, and another vote for the SP101 trigger being egregious. I am surprised a squared away outfit like Ruger let that awful design out the door. It is a long trip there & back over one hella rough road.
Old May 8, 2018, 04:50 PM   #25
agtman

Certainly more 'yackers' than actual wheelgun 'packers' on this thread.