The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Mokumbear

Remington 870... Is this THE one to get?

I thank all of you for your excellent advice!
I started off thinking of getting one of the Mossberg cruiser models, but didn't find much support for that idea.

Being a semi-auto pistol guy, this is all uncharted territory for me.

Once again, my primary use would be for home defense, however there is a chance that in the distant future I might want to try hunting.

Here is what I see on the Remington site:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...inch_specs.asp

Would this make for an ideal, simple, and reliable home defense shotgun?

Do you guys have a preference between the models shown on this site?

Thanks!
Old December 23, 2006, 03:54 PM   #2
raggededge

It is a fine gun indeed and you should be very happy with your purchase. As far as it being the end all of all "HD" shotguns, well I just don't believe that there is one. It's whatever suits you and your circumstances best. In regards to preference, I would go with the higher capacity.
Old December 23, 2006, 03:58 PM   #3
RevolverLover

Have you looked at the Remington 870 Police models? They have a better fit and finish then the express models like the ones in the link. I would suggest you go to a gunstore and see if you like the Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 better but you should also check out the Ithaca M37 and Winchester/FN 1300.
Old December 23, 2006, 03:59 PM   #4
M1911

Quote:
however there is a chance that in the distant future I might want to try hunting.
Hunting for what? Birds? Deer? Turkey?

18" barrel is fine for home defense. It could be used for deer hunting (though accuracy will suffer unless you get a rifled barrel). The 18" barrel is too short for bird hunting. The barrel can, of course, be easily swapped for a longer barrel.

Yes, 870 express shotguns are excellent shotguns.
Old December 23, 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

The Remington Synthetic 18" used be be labeled as the "Home Defense" model.

These are just about perfect defense guns right out of the box, and either will do any shotgun job you could ask.
By installing a different barrel, you can use it to hunt or shoot clay birds.

Given a choice between the two, take the one with the magazine extension.
Even if you don't want it right now, you might later, and the Remington factory extension is EXPENSIVE to buy as an accessory.
If you decide you don't want it on the gun, you can remove it and install the shorter magazine spring and cap to convert it to the 4 shot magazine.

All you'd have to buy is a standard length magazine spring, an old style magazine cap and magazine spring retainer.
These parts are cheap and easy to find.

If you don't want the extension at all, you can sell it on Ebay or one of the gun forums for $60 to $80.
Old December 23, 2006, 08:19 PM   #6
Mokumbear

For Revolver Lover...

Revolver lover wrote:

"Have you looked at the Remington 870 Police models?"

Are these pictured on the Remington web site?

What are their key advantages?

Are they readily available to the general public?
Old December 23, 2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Glockamolie

Yes, the Police models are readily available to anyone wanting to pony up the cash. A good place to look at the models, along with some good pricing, is at www.budsgunshop.com. They have a great deal on the Express, as well as the Police and the Tactical models. Here's Remington's Law Enforcement 870s:

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870.htm
Old December 23, 2006, 11:15 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

The Police guns are the Cadillac of pump defense shotguns.
They are expensive and a little harder to get than the sporting guns, but they really are well worth it.
Old December 23, 2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any 870 in trained hands is a fearsome weapon. Get one and try to wear it out. Well before that happens, you'll be deadly.

Most shotguns will do the job for HD. The important part we sometimes forget is us.
Old December 24, 2006, 12:15 AM   #10
SD_Chop

Yes! thats the one. I have the marine magnum which is that one with the nickle finish only cause i take it outdoors a lot but to me you can be that for a all purpose shotguns. And i have shot sport clays with it and done great in case you want to do that or take it hunting. Get it, you wont be sorry. As for which model, cant ever hurt to have a few more round for defense!!
Old December 25, 2006, 05:58 PM   #11
miscusi

hmm.. says MSRP of $388 for the one on the bottom.. is that accurate as an in store price ?
Old December 25, 2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Retiredatforty

I've got one!

Mokumbear,

I've got the 870 Synthetic 12 ga. with the extended magazine tube. I absolutely love it. It looks badass as hell, but more importantly, it's reliable, smooth, and fun to shoot. I got it for home defense, of course, and have no current plans to hunt or even shoot clays with it. Racking that slide, it just sounds like a shotgun should sound. If you want to accessorize them to death, the stuff is out there, but I think it's great right out of the box.

I've shot several competing shotguns, and I wouldn't take any of them for the 870. Highly recommended.
Old December 26, 2006, 10:46 AM   #13
Glockamolie

"hmm.. says MSRP of $388 for the one on the bottom.. is that accurate as an in store price ?"

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/95077
Old December 26, 2006, 04:38 PM   #14
miscusi

wow thats nice prices.. thanks for the link.. now I need a FFL....
Old December 26, 2006, 04:45 PM   #15
raggededge

That is a nice price. That's less than I paid for my Winchester from Gander. Oh well, the two will compliment each other nicely.
Old December 27, 2006, 05:35 AM   #16
Romulus

Quote:
The Police guns are the Cadillac of pump defense shotguns.
They are expensive and a little harder to get than the sporting guns, but they really are well worth it.
I guess I'm a little affected by my experience. I've had an express, ca 1990 vintage, and a Police, ca 2000 vintage. My express never skipped a beat. The Police had to go in for service early on when the 2-stage ejector rivet came loose. I wondered what might have happened if a cop was using this same piece in the line of duty

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano