The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 2, 2018, 07:16 AM   #1
MTT TL

Barrel De-Resonator Devices

Wonder if anyone has had any luck with these on bolt action rifles? Hocus Pocus? Placebo effect? Snake oil? Useful?

I am not sure I understand how they would work.

https://www.whiteknightsupply.com/pr...SABEgKuVPD_BwE

Last edited by MTT TL; June 2, 2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old June 2, 2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

IMHO made to sell, not to use. Limited experimentation showed absolutely no effect from the device. There are other more effective ways to gain accuracy. GW
Old June 2, 2018, 11:44 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...how they would work..." Additional weight on the muzzle supposedly dampens the normal vibrations. Limbsaver's advertising claims the Sharpshooter X-Ring alone will produce sub MOA groups. 'Bull' is right.
Old June 2, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Anything which improves consistency in barrel harmonics from shot to shot is a Good Thing. The Browning BOSS is one such item.

The "Bull"? I've no idea at all as to whether it would work.
Old June 2, 2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Scorch

These are not marketed as "resonators", they are marketed as "de-resonators". In other words, vibration dampers. The idea is to reduce the vibrations in lightweight barrels. I have never tested one, but I have spoken with customers who claim they work (typically with pencil-weight barrels). Placebo? Probably not. With some people, any accuracy improvement is good, no matter how ridiculous it looks. If you shrink groups from 3" to 2", it's an improvement, right? I am not going to invest in rubber baby buggy bumpers in the predictable future.
Old June 2, 2018, 03:30 PM   #6
TXAZ

The physics theory is solid on "de-resonators", where you change the harmonics of a barrel by adding a mass that also tends to absorb that energy.

The challenge is every barrel is going to have different primary harmonics (vibrations), and the load will affect that. So you might get lucky and find something that damps and improves the accuracy of a 5.56 from Colt with a specific load, but does nothing for a Daniel Defense AR.
They're about $10 delivered on Amazon, so it probably doesn't cost much to try, but I wouldn't bet the improvement you get takes you from 1 MOA to .2 MOA.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 2, 2018, 04:37 PM   #7
oldscot3

I have one made by Time Precision called a Super Tune. It absolutely works on a Swedish mod 96 I have. Groups went bigger then smaller and smaller as it was turned out. As the groups begin to get larger again, you back up to the setting with best results.

My only beef with it is it's ugly as Fido's hind end.

I've seen one now that mounts inside the stock fore end instead of on the barrel. It's called a Smart Stock rifle barrel tuner. See it at www.stocks-rifle.com/smartstock.htm
Old June 2, 2018, 04:58 PM   #8
std7mag

Not on any of my barrels. No way. No how.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old June 2, 2018, 05:31 PM   #9
MTT TL

Quote:
These are not marketed as "resonators", they are marketed as "de-resonators".
Thanks, noted and changed title.
Old June 2, 2018, 08:14 PM   #10
Mobuck

I use one on my sporter weight barrel 257 Wby. It cuts the group size by 1/3.
Old June 3, 2018, 07:28 AM   #11
gearmonkey

I have one on my Winchester model 70 in 30-06. It is a Limbsaver. It's placed just kinda front of the forend stock on a non free floated barrel. It helped me close my groups noticably at 200+300 yards. My son uses one on his tica in 30-06 at the muzzle(free floated). His groups closed up too.
We both, then put them on our Savage 220 slug guns comparing before and after. A more noticable difference on the slug guns. So I do think on non bull barrel rifles and slug guns it's effective. At the worst? When you mean your gun against anything, the deresonator is grippy and prevents barrel scratches.