The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 24, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
IMTHDUKE

Suggestions please....

Looking for suggestion for a pistol or revolver for an ole maid retired school teacher who has a budget of $250. She just plans to use it as a house defense gun. And yes, she is scheduled to take a basic gun course on handling etc. I am thinking Makarov or small 38 but not sure I can locate one for that price. Thanks for any suggestions.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old July 24, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
BarryLee

I would look for a used S&W .38 revolver most likely an old law enforcement gun. I know places like Bud’s and J&G Sales has them on the internet, but I suspect you could find them locally if you look.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
1-DAB

help her out, toss in a few bucks and get a real gun that will be reliable. and then once a month, take her to the range, and tell her that she needs to help you get rid of some old ammo you have laying around.
Old July 24, 2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You should be able to get a new Armscor M200 revolver (.38 SPL) for $250. And if they still have them, J&G Sales had 9x18 CZ-82s for under $250, in very decent condition.
Old July 24, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
aarondhgraham

I second what BarryLee suggested,,,

Click here please,,,

In my not-so humble opinion,,,
This is the perfect gun for a retired school teacher.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 24, 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
willmc33

Another high reccomendation for a Smith & Wesson Model 10.
Old July 24, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Doyle

CZ-82s and PA-63s both in 9mm Mak are less than $250. Both are easy to care for, simple to use, and very reliable. The CZ-82 would have less felt recoil due to greater mass but the PA-63 may fit a small hand better.
Old July 24, 2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Crow Hunter

A revolver that can be cocked is probably going to be the best option.

My mother is in a similar situation and my brother and I tried the auto route for her. She doesn't have the hand strength to cycle the slide and she had trouble with the safety.

So we finally got her a .38 revolver that she can keep loaded and thumb the hammer back as needed.

We have looked at getting her a semiauto with a tip-up style barrel (Beretta), but they are hard to find locally for her to try out and even more "complicated" than the semiauto that she used to have trouble with.

Good luck.
Old July 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #9
chris in va

Nothing in the original post indicated she can't rack a slide or pull a DA revolver trigger. I know a lot of retired teachers and let me tell you, they aren't weaklings.
Old July 24, 2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Zhillsauditor

A S&W model 64 for $249 shipped:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupersto.../used-firearms

It will be very reliable, built to last, easy to shoot, and, with a little polish, a real beauty. It will also require less maintenance than an automatic.
Old July 24, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Strafer Gott

The problem with revolvers and thumbing the hammer back is, who will help with de-cocking the piece. Get a quick phone call, then run out the door yelling over your shoulder I'm going to help un-cock the school marm. Just sayin'.
Old July 24, 2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Nothing in the original post indicated she can't rack a slide or pull a DA revolver trigger. I know a lot of retired teachers and let me tell you, they aren't weaklings.
I didn't say there was a problem. I merely made a suggestion based on my own personal experience, that I detailed.

It was not something that we had anticipated when we got her the gun/s originally. It was only later during the evaluation stage when we were practicing with her. She was having alot of problems and these were all locked breech guns, which have signficantly lighter recoil springs compared to blowback guns (several which have been recommended here)

Just because you can't operate a slide on a semi-auto doesn't mean you are a "weakling", my mother definitely isn't one.

What do the retired teachers that you know carry/use?

What are their mean ages?

Do they have any problems with arthritis?

Quote:
The problem with revolvers and thumbing the hammer back is, who will help with de-cocking the piece. Get a quick phone call, then run out the door yelling over your shoulder I'm going to help un-cock the school marm. Just sayin'.
Ummm...

There is no more force/energy involved in lowering the hammer than there is in cocking it.

A gun with a transfer bar will not fire if the trigger is released, even if control of the hammer is lost.

Apparently my experience is outside the norm.

Good luck.
Old July 24, 2012, 04:18 PM   #13
TennJed

I would look at one of the 4" S&W 38sp Bud's has them for right $250. Local transfers should be around $25
Old July 24, 2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Dwight55

Why bother with thumb cocking??? This is not Camp Perry, . . . this is a bg within sniffing distance, . . . needing to be snuffed instead of sniffed.

I am not sure how it is done, . . . but I have seen DA revolvers that ol' arthritic Aunt Jenny could have poked holes in a bg with, . . . it's all in doin what needs to be done to the trigger mechanism.

Plus, . . . I have abosolutely NEVER shot a .38 short barreled revolver that wasn't louder than an ADHD 3 year old. When the bg hears that, . . . and hears hot lead coming at him, . . . maybe thumb cocking won't be necessary.

As an aside, . . . if she has arthritis problems, etc. a speed loader is an absolute present from an angel.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 24, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

A used S&W or Ruger revolver, either in .38 or .357 would work perfectly.
Old July 24, 2012, 09:02 PM   #16
IMTHDUKE

Thanks guys....these are suggestions I can use.....going look for the used sw 38 or maybe a cz
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old July 25, 2012, 09:33 PM   #17
Northrider

I agree with 1DAB. That way you both get some good karma going.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:14 PM   #18
warningshot

Mak
Old July 25, 2012, 11:55 PM   #19
Sport45

Start by sending here here:

The Cornered Cat

Also, ask her to consider a 20 ga pump for home defense. Is the handgun your idea or hers?
Old July 26, 2012, 03:26 AM   #20
Al Den

Of course a simple, reliable, effective .38 revolver is pretty ideal.

A Makarov? How in the world did u come up with that anchor? They developed a cult-following by guys when they were $89. Just like The Mosin Nagant is the finest rifle ever made to these cheapos. Nonsense! My Mak is the one gun I couldn't care less what happens to, right down to the rust spots it got leaving it in the trunk...
Old July 26, 2012, 05:22 AM   #21
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
Start by sending here here:

The Cornered Cat
I went there and clicked on only one link: Semi-auto or Revolver? And it is quite mistaken about the complexity of revolvers.

Quote:
Ease of use: Revolvers are undeniably simpler mechanical objects than semi-automatics are. Their operation is easy to understand. They have fewer moving parts.
Revolvers are more complicated than automatics, and have more moving parts.
Old July 26, 2012, 05:23 AM   #22
Mayor Al

A Taurus 85 38 Special, Lots of them on the used market for $200-250. I bought one NIB at an auction recently for $190.

Light, easy to shoot and requires no real skill (perfect for a retired teacher--like me !)
Old July 26, 2012, 06:12 AM   #23
oldandslow

ITD, 7/26/12

I'm with the SW 38 special crowd. There are used model 64's at www.sportingarms.com for $200. I don't know the condition but the stuff I have ordered from them in the past is good.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old July 26, 2012, 06:37 AM   #24
vba

I would concur with a .38 special revolver like the one on Bud's (model 10).
Old July 26, 2012, 08:47 AM   #25
Seaman

Ahoy Duke,

Thing about the J or K frame is, so many folks shoot them poorly: slowly, inaccurately.

Recall Starkweather broke into a home where a lady tried to defend herself, she fired her rifle but missed, Starkweather rushed her, disarmed her, and murdered her.

Someone upstream mentioned the Mak and I can recommend the real deal Makarov PM, the newer ones have smooth Sig-like triggers, parts availability is good (should parts be needed), are revolver reliable, Sig accurate. Real good CQC handgun.

Saw a lady shooting one, she was putting her companions (shooting 1911s) to shame with her quick-fire 9-shot tight groups.