The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 15, 2005, 07:36 AM   #1
Lever_at_home

Which scope for a 45/70

I have been hunting here in Montana and B.C for almost 40 years. Believe it or not I have used the 30/30 Winchester almost exclusively for all game, except bear and birds. As you can imagine, my shots have never been over 200 meters. I hunt bear with a Marlin 45/70 model 1895, and birds with a Remington model 870. To the point: I am getting old and my eyes take more time to sight-in and focus with the open sights. Since changing weapons for big game is not an option, I’m probably going to get a scope or sighting optic of some type. I’m sorry to say that I haven’t a clue when it comes to those devices. It is somewhat a family joke that I’m getting too old to see the target as quickly as the others and need the equivalent of what we call the blind-man’s cane for hunters. But as I have read, a day of hunting is better than a day not hunting. Does anybody know of an optic or scope that is just adequate and not over-kill for my shorter range weapons? The embarrassment of needing the darn thing is enough, so please no recommendations that will have me out there looking like a cartoon character with the scope larger than the rifle.
Thanks.
Lever_at_home
Old September 15, 2005, 08:04 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Leupold makes a 1 to 4 power variable scope that will not look out of proportion on a '95. Also a fixed 2.5x. There are other brands, but you will have to shop around, the trend is to bigger scopes and higher magnification and the lower powered scopes that were once considered plenty are not common in stores.
Old September 15, 2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

Burris and Nikon are other options.

Burris offers several options in the 1.5-5 power range.
Nikon makes a very nice 1.5-4.5X20 in the Monarch line.
I own and use scopes from both manufacturers. Have no reservations recommending scopes from either company.
Take Care
Old September 15, 2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

I concur with the above. go for low magnification and wide field of view.
Old September 15, 2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Lever_at_home

Which scope for a 45/70

Thanks, men. I appreciate the coments.
Lever_at_home
Old September 15, 2005, 10:33 PM   #6
mete

I have a 1885 in 45-70 and wanted to get a 1x4 hunting in woods and a need to find openings in the brush rather than long range . I thought the Leupold 1x4 shotgun scope would be better since it's parallax is 75 yds rather than 150 of the rifle scope. The shotgun duplex was too thick, thicker than the book said and covered 3" at 100yds and I had a 1" rifle !! I had them put a fine duplex on it and have been very happy ever since.
Old September 16, 2005, 03:14 AM   #7
Pointer

fixed 2x
Old September 16, 2005, 06:23 AM   #8
JMC

I have a Leupold matte finish 1.5-5x Vari-X III with duplex cross hair on my Ruger #1 .45-70.
I think this scope is just about perfect for the ballistics and practical ranges of the .45-70 round, even the hotter loads.
Clear sight pic, not too heavy, positive click adjustments and rugged, not to mention good lookin'.
Old September 25, 2005, 01:45 PM   #9
travelinguy

I can definately see what you are saying. You need a scope that says "Yeah, I use a scope, but at least I don't need the Hubble Telescope to hit a deer at 75 yards." The trends seem to be splitting. One group is going for big magnification and the other is going back-to-basics.
I have been impressed by nikon myself. Maybe the 1.5-4 Monarch would be a good choice. Like this one LINK MONARCH 1.5-4
Old October 24, 2005, 07:09 PM   #10
smokepowler

Leupold

I have a ruger #1 in 45-70, I topped it off with a Leupold Fixed 6 power. Fx III. Its a great scope , gathers alot of light.