The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 22, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
metalheadlead

Good deer heart recipies anyone?

Looking for some varities in deer heart recipies, if you have tried one let me know how it turned out.

Thanks,

Brent
Old December 22, 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
12GaugeShuggoth

This will probably get moved over to the hunting section I'm guessing (could be wrong though) . Here, check out this thread I started not too long ago on the subject:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=315909
Enjoy!

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old December 22, 2008, 07:23 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

i always cut crossways aprox 1/4 inch thick, roll in flour/season salt mix... fry in butter.... beats loins anyday
Old December 22, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
crowbeaner

Pickle it; layer of heart, layer of onion. Use bread and butter pickle spice/juice. Cook the heart first though.
Old December 22, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For a simple yet flavorful recipe... saute a half onion half cooked. Add thin sliced heart, a slap of pepper and a taste of salt... While turning often, add 3-6 scrambled eggs atop the mess and keep tossing it. When done you have a super rich omelet. Serve with toast and coffee and/or milk...
Brent
Old December 22, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6
JonnyReb

When i was a kid i went to a deer camp every fall in N.Y.
We were the first to arrive one year, except for the camps owner ,bill sandman.

The evening we arrived, he took a deer's heart, which i found to be unappetizing, cut it into thin layers as stated, and fried it up with an union, salt and pepper in a cast iron pan. One of the most memorable meals i've ever eaten and one of the best.

Another simple recipe invovles finding "spedie" sauce, a binghampton N.Y. local mix gone mainstream. I can find it with the BBQ sauces at my local grocer but it may not be avilable everywhere.http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start...miAgjcNPeesi5Q Hope you can find it here.

Marinate a few days and it's pretty much unbelievable on the grill. As a kid we'd eat it with italian bread but now its just gobbled right off the grill...J.R.
Old December 22, 2008, 11:22 PM   #7
crowbeaner

Jonnyreb; they still sell spiedie sauce here. Salamida's is the trade name; I think they sell it at WalMart.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:41 AM   #8
JonnyReb

Glad to hear that, well worth trying for anyone into marinades. speidie, thought i had spelled it wrong.
Old December 24, 2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Al57

Regardless of what you prefer in a marinade, pickling brine, etc. later, we have found that pressure cooking it with bay leaf as opposed to other means of cooking really aids in tenderness & overall quality.
Old December 24, 2008, 05:08 PM   #10
45Marlin carbine

as #3 poster except I closely cut any membrane off the meat. it's good eating as is tongue.
Old December 24, 2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Smokey Joe

deer heart...

Usually gets cut into little cubes (say, 1/2" on a side,) fried in olive oil w/chopped onions and sliced mushrooms, in a cast iron pot, and when all is cooked, a jar of prepared spaghetti sauce, a couple bay leaves, a small can of tomato paste, some more olive oil, and some garlic and oregano tossed in. You let that all simmer for a while--a couple of hours if possible. Try hard not to let it boil hard and burn onto the pan.

Canned tomatoes work, or canned stewed tomatoes, or you can use fresh ones too. The prepared spaghetti sauce is just the lazy way.

Durndest nice spaghetti sauce you ever sprinkled lots of parmesan cheese on.

I trim off the big veins & arteries, the pericardium, and most of the little fat deposits around the outside, but that's all. The cat gets that stuff; thinks he's died and gone to heaven.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 24, 2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

1) Leave heart attached to other innards.

2) Let sit in woods until consumed or otherwise returned to nature.

3)Repeat with other animals you've shot.
Old December 24, 2008, 07:56 PM   #13
BillCA

My father used to eat lamb hearts instead of bacon at breakfast. :barf: I could never eat it... at least until after I was 25, then it wasn't too bad. He'd cook it thinly sliced with a slice of onion, salt, pepper, and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.
Old December 25, 2008, 09:24 AM   #14
94bluerat

My father in law was from China. They made soup with a buck-part that was not the heart. I never tried it.
Old December 26, 2008, 12:58 PM   #15
texfar

Thinly sliced across, light batter or not, spice to your taste, frying pan, hot grease, about 1.5 min each side or less depending on temp, fry eggs and enjoy!
Ken
Old December 26, 2008, 12:59 PM   #16
texfar

Not meaning to hijack thread, but what about liver and kidneys?
Ken
Old December 26, 2008, 01:48 PM   #17
BeCoole

Stuff the heart with croutons, using toothpicks to seal the holes. Bake in a covered dish for about an hour at 350, draped with bacon and in a little water mixed with your favorite hot salsa.

Slice 1/4 - 1/3" and serve.

ETA: Nothing wrong with Liver & Onions.
Old December 26, 2008, 04:34 PM   #18
Smokey Joe

Liver lover...

Well, what about liver?

Slice it 1/2" thick, fry some good bacon, set the bacon aside, fry some onions, sliced up, in the bacon fat, set them aside too, save some bacon fat, then fry the liver slices ONLY UNTIL DONE, not one second longer. Cut into a piece, and stop cooking immediately when there is no more pink.

(Most folks who think liver is icky have been served liver that was cooked to death--at that point it makes good shoe soles, but not much else.)

Done as above, have had pork liver, cow liver, deer liver, sheep liver. The sheep has a very slight "mutton tinge," which is not offensive, but aside from that, liver is liver. And done as above, it's heaven on a plate.

Frankly, I encourage my hunting buds who think heart & liver are icky. I always come back from deer camp with more hearts and livers than deer, and Mrs. Smokey Joe and I are very happy with that arrangement.

Have had steak & kidney pie, once, and Mrs. SJ thought it was a lot of work, so have not made a point of saving kidneys. Were times tougher, and groceries harder to come by, probably would.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 26, 2008, 08:01 PM   #19
Buzzcook

Stir fry or meat pie for heart.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:57 AM   #20
texfar

Buzzcook, my wife does the meat pie as well. I dice up one or more kidneys (size dependent) and that goes in as well. Nice flavor with the kidneys mixed with.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:09 AM   #21
texfar

Thanks for the reply Smokey Joe. Have done as you advised with same results. We also eat liver, hearts, kidneys as well. As for heart, she will also chop it up with the kidneys when she does liver and onions. Some kinda good. Was just curious what others might do. metalheadlead, what I have basically learned about all this stuff is cook it as you would domestic stuff to your taste. As Smokey Joe has pointed out, watch the cooking times on all of it. What I have found is when skillet frying any of it cook at a consistant temp everytime.
FWIW, when hunting on my own land, my breakfast with wife (finally up)is heart and thinly sliced venison, eggs, cooked tomatoes same time as meat in same skillet. Mainly shoot in the AM these days when home. This menu doesnt taste like what most are accustomed to and just don't save them. Their waste my opinion.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:45 PM   #22
metalheadlead

Thanks for all your hits and tips, we tried it like most you guys did, (sliced,egg&flour,fried).-definately has its own flavor-delicious!