The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2001, 10:36 PM   #1
Mylhouse

Is it really true that you can "make" .400 Corbon brass by just running .45ACP brass through a .400 Corbon sizing die? That's what I gathered from a post on the Semiauto Forum by WalterGA. But you know Walter...as much of a fountain of knowledge that he is, he can be rather vague (and surly).
Old February 11, 2001, 12:09 AM   #2
WalterGAII

One doesn't have to be too surly in order to run a .45ACP brass through a .400 Cor-Bon sizing die. I've done it myself. However, I assumed that .45 Super brass would be stronger than .400 Cor-Bon brass, so I bought 500 pieces of 45 Super brass from Starline and converted them all to .400 Cor-Bon.

A reloading buddy of mine suggested that I weigh the .45 Super/.400 brass and compare it to the weight of .400 Cor-bon brass. Surprise! The .400 Cor-Bon brass was a little heavier. I just buy .400 Cor-Bon brass now, but I've never had a case failure with the .45 Super/.400 Cor-Bon brass.

The main caveat about using standard .45ACP brass is that it won't take as much pressure as will .45 Super brass or .400 Cor-Bon brass, so you don't want to load up any really hot loads with the standard .45 ACP brass.
Old February 11, 2001, 01:27 AM   #3
Mylhouse

Wow

Damn, Walter, are you OMNIPRESENT too??!!

Hey, thanks for the info. I knew you'd come through.

Any loads you'd care to share? How high have you pushed 135 grainers using the .45ACP/.400 Corbon brass without undue pressure signs? Also, do you have to change to heavier recoil springs (I'm assuming that the .400 Corbon isn't much higher in the pressure department, but might still require more spring #age)?
Old February 11, 2001, 01:14 PM   #4
WalterGAII

I use AA#7, going by the data provided on Cor-Bon's website. I rarely push for really high velocities, as I just don't have any motive to do so.

I use the factory spring, when shooting compensated; a 22# spring when shooting non-comp'd.

I've been fooling around with .40 Super for the past year or so, so I haven't been doing too much .400 Cor-Bon reloading/shooting for a while.

One thing that I do recommend is that you cannelure your bullets and use a roll crimp die, rather than a taper crimp. I resize/decap with a Lee die and seat/crimp with an RCBS die.
Old February 11, 2001, 01:23 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

Suggest sticking with published data until you have a complete understanding of the 400 C-B's potential (and DON'T TRY 135g LRN over Universal Clays...LOL).
Old February 12, 2001, 02:21 PM   #6
WIL TERRY

400C/B BRASS

Thanks for your input here, guys. We at CORBON appreciate it.
As an aside, the FEDERAL 45ACP brass formed and worked the best for me. Once fired WCC brass was okay too. I used these for plinking loads and just having fun. TM