The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 21, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
MrWin94

Starting Cowboy Action

I am interested in starting Cowboy Action Shooting. I shoot 357/38 in ICORE and IDPA. I want to stay with these calibers if I can. I am looking at buying a Cimarron 1873 Trapper and two Cimarron 1875 Remingtons. Does anybody have any pros/cons about these choices?
Old May 21, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Bill Akins

Read this thread by Zathras who traded his 1873 Colt peacemaker clone for an 1875 Remington clone and was very disappointed in it and its balance, action and grip compared to his '73 Colt clone. (Note: The Stoeger "Outlaw" he speaks of IS the 1875 Remy)..............

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451537

For instance Zathras said in one of his posts at that thread about the '75 Remy he regretted getting and eventually got rid of it and got his original same '73 Colt clone back.........

"For one, the action was LOUSY, very tight, and it was nowhere near as balanced as the 1873, ..in addition the grip was uncomfortable, and didnt sit well in my hand , and had a heavier weight than the cattleman..Looked great, but that goes to show just because it looks great, doesnt mean its functions were good..it shot well..I didnt enjoy it anywhere near the cattleman..I had to keep fighting to pull the hammer back..Its history and outta my hands."

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; May 21, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:54 PM   #3
Hellgate

Right now Tanner's Sports has the Uberti Cattleman (SAA/1873 Colt clones) in the millenium (matte black) finish, the model is called the "Hombre" for $250 each + $20 shipping. They have the 4 3/4" barrels and come in 38/357mag or 45 Long Colt. The other blued, nickeled, stainless models are considerably more. I've never shot one but a lot of CASers use them. I have the milenium finished 1858 Remingtons by Uberti and i like the non glare finish. The C&Bs were a lot cheaper than the other finishes but otherwise just as well made.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old May 25, 2011, 02:28 AM   #4
Bill Akins

+1 to what Hellgate said. I also bought two of the Tanner Sports Center "Hombre" 1873 peacemaker Colt clones in .45 Colt and I am very pleased with their quality and manufacturing workmanship. At $250.00 each, you can't beat that price anywhere. I haven't shot mine yet but hope to very soon.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old May 25, 2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Tanker6

As a SASS shooter, the best advice I can give about the purchase of guns is not to do so until you've attended at least one local match. Go, shoot everyone else's stuff (believe me, they'll all let you do so.....its kind of a "tradition"), then decide on what suits you based on real, "I've shot that," data. Everyone will have their own opinion, but nothing can match the information and data you'll get from shooting the pistol, etc.

The only "pre-advice" I can give on SASS rifles is this: make sure that you're rifle will hold 10 rounds. Most stages have 10 pistol (5 from each), 10 rifle and 4 shotgun. This may vary, but you don't want to be loading extra rifle rounds on the clock if there is no need to do so.

You're choices will depend on your preferences and what category/style you wish to shoot. For instance, I love the look of the Schoefield pistol, but I shoot duelist (one hand only). I can't reach the hammer with my thumb to cock it one handed, so I don't shoot that pistol.

Go to a local match, shoot every pistol that may be pleasing to you, ask tons of questions, and make your mind up from there.

Tanker6 a/k/a Chickahominy Charlie
Old May 25, 2011, 01:42 PM   #6
duelist1954

I own and shoot just about every 19th century gun ever made...some clones, some originals, and there is a reason Colt's were so popular.

If you are only going to have one set of single action sixguns for CAS matches, and you'll be shooting them once a month or so, I'd recommend a good Colt Clone like Cimarron's Model P.

If you want to become a top shooter, and win EOT, you'll need to shoot 20K plus rounds a year, so get a pair of Ruger New Model Vaqueros.
Old May 25, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

What Charlie - er, I mean Tanker - said +1.

I've been shooting SASS for about 12 years & have changed my revolvers at least five times - or is it six? - I've only really used two rifles in that time a '73 in 45olt and a '66 Carbine in 44-40. I have other rifles that sometimes get used, and have bought and sold a few that got limited use; but, the '66 has been my primary rifle for 7 years
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 27, 2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Red Cent

If you want to compete, and I know you will (IDPA and ICORE), you need two Ruger Vaqueros or Blackhawks, an 1873 clone with a 20" barrel, and a Winchester M97 cut to 20-22"s. The Vaqueros and the 1873 will need action jobs and you should have the '73 short-stroked.
My 3 screws will fire Federal primers only as will my 1873. My '97 is tricked out and is super smooth. The '97 is easier to learn how to run fast. The double can compete but the learning curve is steeper.
The advice to go to a local club and watch and ask questions is spot on. Get there when they start and watch the shooters who are fast AND accurate. Notice how many types of rifles are used. Don't get overwhelmed with "cool". Doesn't spell speed.
Here is one of the best cowboy gunsmiths in your area. I believe he is only working on Ruger pistols at this time.
http://cowboygunworks.com/

Here is an equally fine cowboy gunsmith. He does all my gunsmith work. I attribute a lot of my success to Cody Conagher aka Don Jones. Cody was/is the inventor of the shortstroke for the 1873.
http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/

List of NY SASS affikiated clubs.
http://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=New York
Old May 27, 2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Red Cent

Old May 27, 2011, 03:26 PM   #10
dreamweaver

gotta agree with red cent here. go with the vaquero. the group i shoot with is 75% vaqueros, 10% colts and rest Uberti. the cattlemaen is the best value, but it does need some action work.
i started with a vaquero, which is still the most common among competitive shoots in my neck of the woods. now i shoot 2nd gen colts. they seem to need the least amount of action work to be competitive. but 3 times the cost of the rugers.
for your long gun, rossi makes a decent 1892 in .45. the trigger is gritty for the first 500 rounds, but it wears in and the gun is accurate.
jmho
tom
Old May 27, 2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Red Cent

If you want to be competitive, do not get a 92 or a 94. These lever gun actions were built for bottle neck cartridges and not short straight walled pistol cartridges. They are very strong and very good actions but not for speed. Over the years, a cowboy will show up with a 92 and soon it is on the web for sale. Same with a 94. If the 1873s are too much money, then get a Marlin. The Marlin is about the next best thing.
Those that insist on getting a 92 should send it to Kiowa Nate Jones.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Tanker6

Ok, I'll add my $.02 on the '92 vs. everything else since it came up. I started with a '92 slicked up by Nate Kiowa Jones (Steve Young, stevesgunz.com). I'm also fortunate enough to call Nate/Steve a friend.

BUT....I recently acquired a used 1866, slicked up (by Nate/Steve) to include short-stroke, etc. Wow! is all I can say. Night and day. My '92 was smooth, but this thing is like shooting a semi-auto.

All that said, I'm glad that I started with my "cheap" '92. You gotta crawl before you can walk, and having the most slicked up equipment right from the start doesn't necessarily mean you'll be fast out of the box. I've enjoyed getting faster as my work has allowed me so that I get to a point where I realize that my equipment just won't allow me to go any faster. Then, it's time to upgrade equipment.

I'm personally not a fan of the Ruger (I really don't like the New Model Vaquero's grips for some reason, but that's just me), but I can understand the attraction. They're just not for me. My primary pistols are Taylor's/Uberti/Colt Open Tops. I like the look, they shoot very accurately, and aren't any "slower" than many of the other pistols available. They work for me, and I understand that they won't necessarily be "for" everyone else. It's for that reason that I'll stick to my previous advice of shoot every type of pistol that you can and make your mind up from there.

Happy Shootin'!
Old May 31, 2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Hawg

You can slick up a 92 with white lithium grease and working the action a few hours. Nate's may be a little slicker but mine runs just as fast. The 94 Winchester isn't very good with pistol cartridges since it was designed for rifle cartridges but the 92 is really good with them since it was designed for pistol length cartridges. The bottle neck on a 44-40 is so slight as to be almost non existent. That's a non issue as to the guns function with straight walled cartridges.
Old June 11, 2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Gunn Smithy

Quote:
You're choices will depend on your preferences and what category/style you wish to shoot. For instance, I love the look of the Schoefield pistol, but I shoot duelist (one hand only). I can't reach the hammer with my thumb to cock it one handed, so I don't shoot that pistol.
Tanker6 has been spot on on every post he's had in this thread. Try the guns out and see what feels good to you. I did and ended up with Ruger Bisley's (a reason I included the quote above). Everyone is looking for the short lever throw and a low hammer. Out of the box with no work done or parts swapping, the Bisley has the lowest hammer and the Beretta Renegade has the shortest lever throw. Bisley's are sometimes hard to get if you try during Ruger's non production time and Beretta has discontinued the Renegade although some may still be available at a discounted price, but you'll need to look quick. Although I still shoot a 92 slicked via Nate's DVD instructions and it works like a champ. I will have to improve a whole bunch before I'll ever consider changing rifles. Smithy.