The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 10, 2015, 12:20 AM   #1
Always-Vigilant

Tactical light on glock - should they be used for home defense?

Tactical light on Glock 19 - should they be used for home defense? Considering Crimson trace lightguard or Streamlight tlr-1s or use a hand held flashlight -- should they be used at night for home defense in the first place? Interested in your opinions.
Old December 10, 2015, 12:25 AM   #2
TXAZ

Doesn't a light on a gun at night say "hey, I'm over here".
I like the idea for home defense of having replaced many light switches with Wemo switches, so I can turn on lights remotely without announcing my exact location.
Nothing like a backlit burglar

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 10, 2015, 01:09 AM   #3
Mosin44az

Have a Glock 19 with a TLR-1s. Works fine. Like the idea of remotely turning on lights away from me also, will look into that.

I think a light on the gun works much better than trying to hold one in the hand. Much more accurate shooting. Try it at the range sometime.
Old December 10, 2015, 01:14 AM   #4
Sharkbite

Commonly asked and much debated question.

My HD gun wears a light (SF X300)

The ability to turn on house lights remotely is great, but not always feasible. I travel a bit and cant use that kind of remote lighting in a hotel room. I CAN click my light on my CCW gun when i get to my room.

In fact i just got one of the super small lights to attach and wear while CCW
Old December 10, 2015, 08:40 AM   #5
Skans

No lights or other doo-dads on guns for home protection for me. It's just another thing for me to bumble around with. I use these things called "light switches." They are tactically mounted on every wall in my house.
Old December 10, 2015, 08:50 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
I use these things called "light switches." They are tactically mounted on every wall in my house.
And what if the intruder just happens to be between you and the light switch for that room? Now maybe the light switches in your rooms are all right at each doorway, and if so fair enough. But some of us might not have switches for certain rooms. There might be lamps instead, or maybe the switch is like I said on the other side of the room. There is no fumbling with a weapon mounted light. It's mounted. It's one little swipe to activate. If you can't activate it in time it has no impact on your ability to still shoot.

It's the same reason I keep electronic hearing protection next to my bed. If I can't get to it in time then so be it. But the ability to have enhanced hearing or more importantly hearing after I have to discharge a firearm and police are arriving, is worth it to me to have that option there. Every day we drive cars with far more complexity in terms of steering, gas, and brake than a firearm even with a weapon mounted light has. I get that adrenaline, fear, being woken in the dead of night, all these scramble the brain. But it doesn't turn us into walking idiots. If it did humans would have died off millenia ago. Options are nice, even if you don't use them.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 10, 2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old December 10, 2015, 10:55 AM   #7
cougar gt-e

I don't use weapon mounted light or laser. Why? You need to point the weapon at the potential target to ID it. What if it's your kid wearing a dark robe wandering around at 3am? You're hyped up, sleepy and scared and see a figure.... I would much rather have the gun pointed down and my other hand moving the light independent.

Also read up on police accidentally shooting people while meaning to turn on a light or laser. I am slow and dumb, so I try to keep it simple, trigger finger does one thing and one thing only.

Just my opinion.
Old December 10, 2015, 11:55 AM   #8
jmr40

Yes, they work great. You don't have to point the weapon at anyone to identify the target and who cares if they know you're there. You ain't an assassin sneaking up on anyone.

Just turn it on just as any other light, point it at the ground in front of you and it'll light up the room well enough to identify targets. You can still keep one hand free to do other things instead of holding a separate light in it.
Old December 10, 2015, 12:08 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar gt-e View Post
I don't use weapon mounted light or laser. Why? You need to point the weapon at the potential target to ID it. What if it's your kid wearing a dark robe wandering around at 3am? You're hyped up, sleepy and scared and see a figure.... I would much rather have the gun pointed down and my other hand moving the light independent.

Also read up on police accidentally shooting people while meaning to turn on a light or laser. I am slow and dumb, so I try to keep it simple, trigger finger does one thing and one thing only.

Just my opinion.

Kids are actually a pretty good reason to have a weapon mounted light. Depending on the age of the kids you might need a free arm to move them or help them move to the room you choose to congregate in. I do think the not flagging your kids with the muzzle is a good point though. You do have to be aware of your muzzle. As jmr40 said though, often the spill from most weapon mounted lights is enough to illuminate a room anyway. You can aim at the floor with the pistol, as you would with a hand held light.

There are arguments on both sides of this that I think are valid.
Old December 10, 2015, 12:21 PM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
There are arguments on both sides of this that I think are valid.
Bingo! It always surprises me how these "gun-mounted light vs. regular flashlight" arguments go. It's not a question of which is better; they both have advantages and disadvantages. But nobody ever seems to suggest the most obvious solution: Use both.

It's a good idea to have a separate flashlight in your other hand if possible, that way you can use that as your primary method of illumination. I also think that every home-defense gun should have a light mounted on it if possible: If someone breaks in and you only manage to grab your gun and not your flashlight (or you need your support hand for something else), doesn't it make sense to still have a method of illumination? Don't you still want to be able to determine that it's not your drunk neighbor accidentally going to the wrong house?

A lot of the arguments people make against weapon-mounted lights are ridiculous, and they usually just show that the person hasn't ever used one. If you think it's not a good idea to have the weapon light on at that moment and you're afraid the light will give away your position then turn it off. I've never seen a weapon light that didn't have an 'off' switch. And no, you don't need to point the gun to illuminate an area; splashing the light off a wall or the floor will usually work just fine.

Sure, for a lot of things a separate flashlight is better, and if you have one you can leave your weapon light turned off. But doesn't it make sense to have a backup source of illumination if needed?
Old December 10, 2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Sharkbite

And AGAIN...Theo hits it out of the park

Good post
Old December 10, 2015, 01:01 PM   #12
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
...It always surprises me how these "gun-mounted light vs. regular flashlight" arguments go. It's not a question of which is better; they both have advantages and disadvantages. But nobody ever seems to suggest the most obvious solution: Use both....
The corollary to that is whatever you use, train to use it, know how to use it, and practice using it.

Personally, I have a handheld light with a lanyard. That what I've trained with doing night exercises at Gunsite. The techniques taught and that we trained with worked well in both shoot houses and outdoor simulators at night.

I doubt that I'd mount a light on my gun unless/until I have an opportunity to take a class with it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 10, 2015, 02:05 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...They are tactically mounted..." Strategically, actually. Light switches are a big picture thing. snicker.
"...the intruder just happens to be between you and the light switch..." The strategy builders use is to put the switch just inside the door at roughly shoulder height.
"...your kid wearing a dark robe wandering around at 3 am..." Operating the SWMLSS (Strategic Wall Mounted Light Switch System) fixes that.
Lights on firearms is Hollywood nonsense.
Old December 10, 2015, 03:23 PM   #14
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
...Lights on firearms is Hollywood nonsense.
More ignorant garbage from you. Lights on firearms is most assuredly not Hollywood nonsense. Many police agencies now use them on their service sidearms. In fact, our local police do.

A light on a firearm can be a useful tool -- as long as one knows how to use it and trains with it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old December 10, 2015, 03:30 PM   #15
AK103K

Quote:
Im guessing youve never been out in the yard at night with an aggravated dog on a lead in one hand, and a pistol in the other.

They can come in handy at times.
Old December 10, 2015, 04:14 PM   #16
FireForged

like many things, weapon mounted lights are a compromise which can be helpful in certain situations and at the same time can hinder in others. Most people simply consider their specific circumstances and make a measured judgment about the practicality of a weapon mounted light and go from there. Some do and some dont... I fall into the dont catagory.
Old December 10, 2015, 04:30 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...They are tactically mounted..." Strategically, actually. Light switches are a big picture thing. snicker.

"...the intruder just happens to be between you and the light switch..." The strategy builders use is to put the switch just inside the door at roughly shoulder height.

"...your kid wearing a dark robe wandering around at 3 am..." Operating the SWMLSS (Strategic Wall Mounted Light Switch System) fixes that.

Unfortunately my house has rooms where the light switch is not where you say. It's relatively old and was expanded over time. I'd love to rewire the whole house and install better lighting, but I'm a bit lean on the time and funds currently. I do however have the money for a weapon mounted light. I can't say it's "nonsense" to me.
Old December 10, 2015, 04:35 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
And what if the intruder just happens to be between you and the light switch for that room?
If he is that close, I wouldn't be spending time turning on a light......

Quote:
Im guessing youve never been out in the yard at night with an aggravated dog on a lead in one hand, and a pistol in the other.
That would all depend on where you live and what it might be - pest critter of some sort is different than a burglar
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 10, 2015, 04:40 PM   #19
AK103K

Quote:
That would all depend on where you live and what it might be - pest critter of some sort is different than a burglar
Whats the difference? Pest is a pest.
Old December 10, 2015, 05:21 PM   #20
fastbolt

Weapon-mounted lights (lasers, IR, etc) can be considered from the perspectives of equipment, envisioned circumstances and training needs.

Just attaching one to your favorite firearm doesn't mean you know when, why or how to use it safely, appropriately and effectively in any particular situation.

Then, there's making sure it's the correct make/model for your firearm, and that your firearm continues to function normally when the light is attached, and that light remains properly attached during continued use. (Our armorer bench at the agency range had a little pile of parts which broken off, or had to be removed from, guns that were in-service. Maintenance and repair of equipment is an important consideration.)

Some training and familiarity with the safe and proper operation of equipment is always prudent, as well as considering how user operation may be affected by stress and dynamic situations.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25...ntal-shootings

Buying a guitar and learning a couple of chords, only practiced every great once in a while, doesn't guarantee skilled musicianship. Trying to play those chords without mistake when being watched by strangers? Well, even mild personal stress can introduce some unexpected difficulties not experienced when quietly practicing alone.

Look at how people make mistakes when driving their motor vehicles, and that's something many people get the opportunity to do every day (unlike using/practicing with weapon-mounted lights and the firearms to which they're attached). Throw in some unexpected circumstances and a little stress, and people can fail to react properly and get involved in, or cause, accidents.

Handling and using a weapon-mounted light involves handling the weapon to which it's attached, at the very least, and that introduces the potential to mishandle things and make unintentional errors in manipulation. Kind of like how 2 of the most dangerous times involving manipulation of firearms is when loading and unloading them.

I usually suggest someone consider getting some training in the safe handling, operation and use of equipment, including firearms and anything attached to them, like weapon lights.

Just my thoughts.
Old December 10, 2015, 06:55 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
If he is that close, I wouldn't be spending time turning on a light......
Le sigh, like I've said a number of times now, the layout of homes is not always the same.
Old December 10, 2015, 07:05 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Some training and familiarity with the safe and proper operation of equipment is always prudent, as well as considering how user operation may be affected by stress and dynamic situations.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25...ntal-shootings
That article mentions 5 accidents in 9 years across the US as a whole. Talk about a small number. For that matter, in order for someone to be hurt the muzzles of those firearms had to be pointed at someone. Why was that the case if that person was not an active threat? There is always the universal cover position.

I've taken classes with a number of members of law enforcement. My experience has been that unless that officer is a member of some sort of SWAT or other response team, his/her training is often poorer than many of the civilians in the class. I took a vehicle course recently where I watched officers that had literally decades on the force flagging their own legs when drawing from their holsters in the driver's seat. These guys had spent more time in a car than many will in a lifetime. You can look at this in different ways. You can look at it as, "Boy, even a police officer can't do that task safely!". Or you can look at it as, "Boy, that officer has been lacking training that could have cost him/her his life many times over the past years!" I have a lot of respect for LE, but I recognize their limitations in time and money to get even regular training depending on the department (every course I've taken with a current or former law officer has been on that officer's own time and money, their departments helped with nothing). I do not use them as the benchmark of whether or not a tool or technique can be used or done safely.

I will agree with you though that training is always important.
Old December 10, 2015, 07:54 PM   #23
Nanuk

I have a WML on my Glock, my 870 and my AR. I live in the country with my wife and horses.

I also have a very bright hand held light on mine and the wife's side of the bed.

The light is another tool.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 10, 2015, 07:56 PM   #24
raimius

I like the opportunity to see what I am thinking about shooting at.
I also shoot better with two hands.
Old December 10, 2015, 08:47 PM   #25
2damnold4this

I'm going to take a low light pistol class Saturday and will report back what I learn. My concealed carry G26 has no rail to mount a light but my G17 does. I'm planning on taking several hand held lights along with my G26 but I'll also take the G17. I'd really like to get better with the firearm I carry, so I'll concentrate on the G26.

My EDC gun is also my bedside gun. The larger G17 or an AR with a light might be a better choice for home defense but I don't bother to open the safe twice a day. Perhaps this class will change my mind.
Closed Thread