The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2019, 11:50 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

LCP vs P365 pics

I took a couple of pics of my counter. My LCP gen2 (had it hard chromed) and P365 happened to drop by for the occasion.

The size difference is huge or not much at all, depending on how you look at it I'm not sure the LCP is going away.

Old May 20, 2019, 08:05 PM   #2
sparkyv

There's a place for the LCP, but it's P365 for me, anymore.
Old May 20, 2019, 08:40 PM   #3
FITASC

My LCP won't be going away - I wear too many nylon basketball shorts with drawstrings for belts; BUT as I lose some weight, the 365 WILL become the gun of choice
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 20, 2019, 08:42 PM   #4
jmr40

Apples vs oranges; 9mm vs 380. Compare the P365 to the LC9s for an apples to apples evaluation.

I have a Kel-Tec 3AT which is virtually the same gun as the LCP,and yes, it has its place. I had a G43 which I liked, until I tried the LC9s which I shot a lot better. I let the G43 go, but am tempted to try the Sig. Someday maybe, but I've been pretty pleased with the Ruger for 1/2 the money

Winston Churchill
Old May 21, 2019, 08:13 AM   #5
davidsog

Quote:
Apples vs oranges;
Exactly. The LCP is good for the immediate threat if nothing else is available.

The P365 is a very concealable and capable combat handgun.
Old May 21, 2019, 08:33 AM   #6
Lohman446

Quote:
The P365 is a very concealable and capable combat handgun.
Care to define the parameters of a "capable combat handgun?"
Old May 21, 2019, 08:58 AM   #7
davidsog

Quote:
"capable combat handgun?"
Able to engage multiple targets with multiple rounds, IE more than 2 targets and perform failure drills on each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpgWVvWvvFY
Old May 21, 2019, 09:05 AM   #8
Armybrat

Thank you for the pictures.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Lohman446

Quote:
Able to engage multiple targets with multiple rounds, IE more than 2 targets and perform failure drills on each.
So its a capacity thing? And is that a double tap with enough reserve ammo for a head shot if need be? Multiple targets so that makes it a capacity argument for 6 rounds (5+1)?

I'm rather curious to the terminology so forgive me if I ask simplistic questions
Old May 21, 2019, 02:20 PM   #10
davidsog

Quote:
And is that a double tap with enough reserve ammo for a head shot if need be?
Failure drill is a double tap to the chest followed by one to the head.

3 rounds over 3 targets = 9 rounds

Quote:
So its a capacity thing?
Yes but it is also sights, trigger, and effective range.

The LCP is not in the same league as the P365 as a combat pistol. The LCP is designed for what is termed "the immediate threat" whereas the P365 is a combat pistol with excellent concealability. I can do everything that a full sized service pistol does with a P365. The same cannot be said for an LCP.

That does not mean there is not a place for the LCP or that is it is a bad design.

It is a different tool and the two are not directly comparable.
Old May 21, 2019, 02:28 PM   #11
davidsog

Quote:
I'm not sure the LCP is going away.
Yep, thanks for the pictures. The LCP is not going anywhere. Pocket pistols for the immediate threat fill a viable need today as when first concieved.
Old May 21, 2019, 04:54 PM   #12
peterg7

The LCP is a legitimate pocket gun while the other is a belt gun that guys try to make a pocket gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 21, 2019, 09:34 PM   #13
Carmady

Even if you don't carry the LCP, you could stash it somewhere for emergency use. It might save your life one day.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:56 AM   #14
railroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg7 View Post
The LCP is a legitimate pocket gun while the other is a belt gun that guys try to make a pocket gun.

I agree. I have a Kahr cm9 that I tried to make a pocket carry gun. It fits in my pocket but with the squared off slide it’s hard to draw. Now my lcp with an angled slide comes right out. I wear jeans so that doesn’t help either.

Old May 22, 2019, 06:46 AM   #15
Lohman446

Quote:
That is kind of my thoughts too and I would go one further that the LCP is at the edge of being a pocket gun. Its not "we could go a little bigger and still have a pocket gun".
Old May 22, 2019, 09:59 AM   #16
davidsog

Quote:
That is kind of my thoughts too and I would go one further that the LCP is at the edge of being a pocket gun. Its not "we could go a little bigger and still have a pocket gun".
Exactly. I carried the P365 Pocket carry for a few days when I first got it. It fit. Without a holster, it could fall over and get wedged in the pocket and with a holster it worked ok.

The P365 shined at IWB strong side carry. I can wear a T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops while carrying concealed comfortably.

Quote:
FROM BACKUP FIREARMS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT TO LICENSED CARRY FOR PERSONAL PROTECTION
https://ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

The LCP is not a combat pistol. Its is a BACK UP weapon and a Defensive Weapon designed to dominate the immediate threat. It fulfills that design purpose well.

What is the immediate threat as Ruger engineers defined it? Stand up straight, extend one arm out straight, look down at your toes...

Any feet that you see in your peripheral vision and anyone you can touch with your arm is an immediate threat.

The design purpose of the P365 on the otherhand is:

Quote:
The revolutionary new concealed carry pistol that gives you more capacity, more concealability and more capability.
https://www.sigsauer.com/products/fi.../pistols/p365/

The P365 is designed to be a combat pistol that is concealable. Out of the holster is designed to fill the capability of a full sized duty combat pistol.

These pistols have two very different design philosophies and are not really comparable.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:43 AM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

Many people of think they know about the Pocket Pistols. Most refuse to call them a range gun. I only laugh at such ignorant comments. Spend time training with them and they can be fast and deadly to 10 yards or more. IMO they are faster than any of the bigger guns. And NO a Micro 9 is not a pocket gun, although I do love them. Have not seen one yet better than the Kahr. And the Nano is built about as tough as you can get.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:49 AM   #18
davidsog

Quote:
Spend time training with them and they can be fast and deadly to 10 yards or more.
Certainly but there is a reason why the LCP was not submitted for the US Army recent service pistol competition and why not a single Police Department carries them for a duty weapon.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:51 AM   #19
gnystrom

Neither my LCP!! or my P365 is going away. The LCP is a gun to have on you when you are going to places where you can't carry a gun.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:05 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Certainly but there is a reason why the LCP was not submitted for the US Army recent service pistol competition and why not a single Police Department carries them for a duty weapon.
While I don't doubt the P320 influenced the P365, the P365 wasn't submitted for the recent service pistol competition and I'm not aware of a police department that issues the P365 as the primary duty weapon (maybe for plain clothes officer or detectives). This isn't me saying there is no difference between the LCP and the P365, I believe there is.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 22, 2019, 06:10 PM   #21
davidsog

Quote:
While I don't doubt the P320 influenced the P365, the P365 wasn't submitted for the recent service pistol competition and I'm not aware of a police department that issues the P365 as the primary duty weapon (maybe for plain clothes officer or detectives). This isn't me saying there is no difference between the LCP and the P365, I believe there is.
Quote:
The SIG SAUER P365 gives Indiana State Police Troopers primary carry capabilities in a sub-compact configuration,” says Matt Bilkey, Lt. Colonel, Assistant Chief of Staff Operations, Indiana State Police. “Its high level of accuracy, small size, and high round capacity make it a perfect firearm for our officers, both on and off duty, and is a great counterpart to our primary duty firearm the SIG SAUER P227.
https://www.policemag.com/510876/ind...p-duty-firearm

Quote:
As for our detectives, the P365 is the perfect pistol because of the small size and high-capacity which makes it easy to conceal without sacrificing rounds.
Quote:
The Sumter Police Department is our first agency to simultaneously adopt both the P320 and the P365 pistols as their official duty firearms and we could not be more excited about it,"
https://www.policemag.com/363154/sou...d-p365-pistols
Old May 22, 2019, 07:05 PM   #22
TunnelRat

So mostly in line with what I said. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2019, 07:45 PM   #23
davidsog

Quote:
So mostly in line with what I said. Thanks!
Only in a "The Glass is Half Empty...mostly...sort of way."

You are Welcome.
Old May 22, 2019, 07:48 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 22, 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:27 AM   #25
wild cat mccane

Well this got completely off track.

Hope that jerk of an OP learned their lesson for trying to show just size difference.